Why Dogs Are Better Than Cats

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Montelores

Buckeye
Neighborhoods With Lots Of Dogs May Actually Be Safer

A new study from The Ohio State University has found that neighborhoods with more dogs had lower rates of robbery, homicide and aggravated assault, especially in neighborhoods where the residents say they trust each other.

Pretty remarkable, right? Add one more benefit of having a dog to the list!

"People walking their dogs are essentially patrolling their neighborhoods," Nicolo Pinchak, the lead author of the study, told Ohio State News. "They see when things are not right, and when there are suspect outsiders in the area. It can be a crime deterrent…"

The study found that the amount of dogs in the neighborhood (which translates to more people out walking their dogs, having conversations and petting each other's pets) and the residents' level of trust with each other leads to less street crime like homicides and robberies.

"When people are out walking their dogs, sometimes they know the dog's name and not even the owners," Pinahak told Ohio State News. "They learn what's going on and can spot potential problems."

One other obvious reason factored into a lower rate of property crime in neighborhoods with dogs — their natural instinct to protect their home. Simply put, a burglar could be deterred from robbing a home if they see or hear a dog before entering…

Monty

mrmag00

Bearcat
Not sure if it because we have a lot of walker’s and dog walker's but we have very few issues in the neighborhood. They start about 4am and go till about midnight from what I can tell from our ring doorbell. We are by our cities operation center so we have lots of there folks walking in the neighborhood. And I can’t stand cats.

Ride1949

Buckeye
16429809398532066235787823898737.jpg

I agree 100% about the dogs and lower crime. That’s an interesting point, that dog walkers are just essentially patrolling their neighborhood.

With two dogs, who bark when people walk in front of our house, I don’t see a robber who would willingly break into my house.

But! Cats are smarter. They just are. One news story I read always ends with a funny animal video. The news is too depressing otherwise.

These cats are just beautiful.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
I'll say it more directly. Probably 80% of that correlation is that people feel safe to take long dog walks in neighborhoods that are Already safe .

There's probably a small window where people stroll with their Rott , Pit , German Shepherd , etc , when they wouldn't walk the streets alone . But for the most part , in actually Dangerous neighborhoods , they will walk the dog either in their yard , or on their block in sight of the house.

Correlation is not the same as causation. The dynamics are at least as much that safe neighborhoods cause dogwalkers as the reverse .

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
Well, my neighbors recent experience proves dogs are essentially useless. They bark at everything that moves, that's harmless. But a few days ago they both slept while theives stole the catalytic converter from her car. And the theives even dropped the catalytic converter making a loud clang.

On the other hand whenever anything untoward happens around my place the cat alerts with a moaning/growl sound.

Oh, and dog walkers aren't safe here and neither are thier dogs. The coyotes like to bite folks and eat pets.

Montelores

Buckeye
Results of this study showed, as expected, that neighborhoods with high levels of trust had lower levels of homicide, robbery and aggravated assaults when compared to neighborhoods with low levels of trust.

But among high-trust neighborhoods, those with high concentrations of dogs showed an additional drop in crime compared to those with low concentrations of dogs.

Among the high-trust neighborhoods, neighborhoods high in dog concentration had about two-thirds the robbery rates of those low in dog concentration and about half the homicide rates, the study found.

Your point is clear.

Affluent, safe neighborhoods have less crime already, and dogs and dog walkers typically inhabit such socio-economic zones.

Just like claiming that neighborhoods with more Mercedes and BMW cars have less crime.

Does the presence of dogs actually reduce crime?

Dogs are indicative of neighborhood trust, barb wire is not.

So, if we give dogs to residents of a high crime neighborhood, would we see crime rates fall?

Maybe, that’s an experiment worth conducting.

Because I believe there is a correlation between children growing up with pets and learning empathy.

Monty

Last edited:

bookemdano

Single-Sixer
Neighborhoods With Lots Of Dogs May Actually Be Safer

A new study from The Ohio State University has found that neighborhoods with more dogs had lower rates of robbery, homicide and aggravated assault, especially in neighborhoods where the residents say they trust each other.

Pretty remarkable, right? Add one more benefit of having a dog to the list!

"People walking their dogs are essentially patrolling their neighborhoods," Nicolo Pinchak, the lead author of the study, told Ohio State News. "They see when things are not right, and when there are suspect outsiders in the area. It can be a crime deterrent…"

The study found that the amount of dogs in the neighborhood (which translates to more people out walking their dogs, having conversations and petting each other's pets) and the residents' level of trust with each other leads to less street crime like homicides and robberies.

"When people are out walking their dogs, sometimes they know the dog's name and not even the owners," Pinahak told Ohio State News. "They learn what's going on and can spot potential problems."

One other obvious reason factored into a lower rate of property crime in neighborhoods with dogs — their natural instinct to protect their home. Simply put, a burglar could be deterred from robbing a home if they see or hear a dog before entering…

Monty
I wonder how much money the tax payers and Alumni paid for the obvious.
Folks, crooks come in all flavors and this is just one of them!
Dano

Selena

Hunter
A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicag
Considering the intellectual caliber of the Ohio State educated I've had the misfortune to deal with I have to question the results. For instance, I can state in all honesty that areas with large numbers of cows are even more crime free. I can further state that 100% of all researchers will find reason to agree with the entity paying them.

Latest posts