Why doesn't Ruger offer a DOUBLE ACTION .22 rimfire?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BigBlock1

Bearcat
Seriously, I know Ruger employees read this forum. What is the most popular cartridge ever made? The .22 rimfire. Why, oh why, does Ruger not offer a nice little .22 DOUBLE ACTION revolver, when they offer two different types of SA rimfires, and several auto/rifles. All of their competitors offer .22 DAs. Is there anybody here that would not like to own a Ruger .22 DA revolver? Look at the prices for the rare .22 SP101, to know people want them. Why did they stop making that thing? Instead they come out with some hideous plastic revolver.... :roll:

Does anybody convert .32 (or other) SP101s into .22s?

madd-trapper

Bearcat
Just bought an LCR. Awesome gun, hope to see it in a 9 shot .22. Till then Taurus 941 I believe and S&W 317.
I have a single six, get to shoot both the LR and magnums.

63November

Single-Sixer
s4s4u":2kstm315 said:
Why did they stop making that thing?

If they were selling, they wouldn't have stopped making.

I rather doubt that is the reason. I more suspect they weren't making enough on them. Those guns seemed to have a good following but were probably harder to get right than the singles and autos, so the margin of profit was too small. They are fairly common, but in high demand. They are good guns. (Apparently the thief who stole mine thought so too. :evil: )

Snake45

Hawkeye
one bullet":3mg7j1wu said:
They could re-introduce the same gun with better sights and I bet they would sell like hot cakes!
Yeah, it definitely rated fully adjustable sights.

It would be perfectly between the Smith K-22/M18 and the little J-frames. Right about where the old, lamented Colt Diamondback used to be.

BigBlock1

Bearcat
one bullet":36qfmwgk said:
They could re-introduce the same gun with better sights and I bet they would sell like hot cakes!

EXACTLY! They've still probably got all the old equipment to make them in the shed out back...it's not like the wore it out during production. :roll: Though, part of it's demise might be that it's only a 6 shot which is still kind of lame for a .22. (that's like a 5 shot .32)

BigBlock1

Bearcat
On a more serious note how many guns does Ruger make a distributor like Davidsons or Lipseys order for a "special run"? Wonder if they could come up with a .22 SP101 kind of like the .44 special........ :?:

Knuckles

Buckeye
The SP101 seems to be an awful heavy gun for a .22LR

I suppose the short bbl model wouldn't be to bad but... I can shoot MONSTER .357mags from the SP101 snub nose... kind of over kill for .22 don't you think?

Ilikeguns

Bearcat
I really like my LCR. I would buy a 9 shot .22LR revolver based on the LCR in a heartbeat. I've owned two of the S&W Model 317's. Very nice 22's, but, they are expensive and the finish isn't the most durable.

mt

Single-Sixer
I like my Rugers as much as anyone but life is too short to let a "brand" get in the way of owning fine firearms.

I was a fan of the 22 LR S&W kit guns when I was a kid...nothing has changed. About 2 weeks ago, I sucked it up and paid my money for a brand new S&W Model 617, ten shot 22 LR with a six inch barrel. Yeah it has one of those safeties and that really gripes my butt. That being said it is probably the tightest locking and well fitted Smith I've ever owned. I was truly shocked at the quality, it made me realize that over the years I've become accustomed to not getting my money's worth of anything.

Anyway, I've got a new revolver to shoot and I don't have time to worry about Ruger's business model. :wink:

mt

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
I'll stick with my S&W mod 34 kit gun. I also have a Taurus 941 .22mag which though not as nice, is pretty decent.

Knuckles

Buckeye
I have a lot of respect for Taurus regarding the many cartridges that they take advantage of.

When I think of a .22 DA, I think of a quality medium-frame, along the lines of a K-22, Diamondback, or even a Trooper. Ruger had a great chance to jump on this band wagon with their Security Sixes, had they chambered them in rimfire.

So, a few years later, along comes the SP101 in rimfire. Here's a kit-gun size revolver, weighing in closer to a medium frame. So, what was the point? Apparently, enough folks wondered the same thing, and the sales success was not enough to keep them in production.

It's not too late. The GP could be chambered in rimfire, and give the modern 617 some serious competition.

WAYNO.

GhosT

Blackhawk
Hittman and WAYNO's posts both hit home to me.

Hittman said...
What might sell is the SP101 in .22LR with ~~

1. adjustable sights
2. 8 or 9 shot cylinder
3. 4 and 6 inch barrels ~ or 3 & 5"?
4. convertible with 22 Mag cylinder too
5. choice of blue or stainless

Adjustable sights would be a HUGE improvement.
8 or 9 shot cylinder,...yup would be cool,but would settle for 6.

4 and 6 inch barrels ~ or 3 & 5"?
5-6" barrel, think time to buy a GP100.,..JMHO...
But 4" with adjustable sites....

The "convertible with 22 Mag cylinder too"...always trips me up.
Owned a Super Single Six once...
Size of bullets/down the same barrel...in a short barrel that an SP101 wears..doubt would pay off.

Moving to WAYNO....

"It's not too late. The GP could be chambered in rimfire, and give the modern 617 some serious competition. "

I soooo AGREE!
If Ruger ever put out the GP100 in a stainless 22LR rimfire,I would be first in line to buy one!

marlboro man

Bearcat
I to agree with the GP .22 idea!! did pick up a smith 617 recently, was real impressed with it, but that price tag was a bit of a shock! if ruger did do an affordable GP 22 i'd pick it up in a hearbeat!