Why doesn't Ruger offer a DOUBLE ACTION .22 rimfire?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wixedmords

Blackhawk
I think a 4-5" SP101 with adjustable sights and more than 6 shots would be great, but that would only feed part of the market, and that may be part of the failure with the past SP101 .22 offering. The market it would do well in is with adults wanting a full sized .22 revolver. Something smaller and lighter would need to be in the offering to draw in that youth shooting crowd, imo, something that kinda goes against Rugers common theories.

I'd take that SP101 though. ;)

A

Anonymous

How about a .22 LR/WMR revolver on the old Security Six frame and sights?

Can I get a Hell Yeah?

pete44ru

Hunter
I've had a half-shroud 4" SP-101 ,22, but soon sold it because it was seriously overweight for a kit/trail gun.

IF Ruger should intro a DA .22 revolver, IMHO it needs:

1) MUST be lightweight @ 4" barrel length.

2) Should be made in either LR or Mag, but not necessarily a convertible.

3) Should have more than 6 chambers - preferably 9 in LR & 8 in Mag.

4) Should have either a rear sight adj for both W/E, or adj front/rear.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Too bad Ruger did not follow through with the .22 caliber Security Six that they announced in 1969.

Ruger-DA-Announcement-highlighted.jpg

Snake45

Hawkeye
9x19":22lmpdtl said:
Smith & Wesson 63
SW63.jpg
I like this. Would like to see a .22 SP101 in this configuration: 4" half-lugged untapered barrel, fully adjustable sights. Weight like a Colt Diamondback.

Snake45

Hawkeye
WAYNO":iitnve0u said:
When I think of a .22 DA, I think of a quality medium-frame, along the lines of a K-22, Diamondback, or even a Trooper.

WAYNO.
You mean like these? :wink:

22Pistols.jpg

armabill

Bearcat
I wrote to Ruger many times asking for a .22lr in the GP100.
No answer.

So, I bought a S&W 617 instead.

I also called and talked to S&W about making the 41 in stainless.
Too busy making the blued one was their answer. At least I got an answer.

GP100owner

Bearcat
BigBlock1":2qdq1q2k said:
Seriously, I know Ruger employees read this forum. What is the most popular cartridge ever made? Look at the prices for the rare .22 SP101, to know people want them. Why did they stop making that thing? Instead they come out with some hideous plastic revolver.... :roll:

Does anybody convert .32 (or other) SP101s into .22s?

If Ruger employees read this forum, I'm going to guess your tone would keep them from answering any of your questions, and the insults you're posting about the LCR really are not going to help your case much.

Personally, I think the LCR is a handsome gun, and I love the 22 single action revolvers Ruger makes. The bearcat was the first handgun I ever owned as a kid.

mjh

Single-Sixer
Cost is certainly keeping me away from the Smiths all though a used old Model 63 would be just about right. Now I may have to buy a new Charter Arms Pathfinder, cost and qualty being what it is but an acceptable kit gun. An SP in .22lr with 8 or 9 rounds adjustable sights, now I would most likely act quickly on a new one for sure!! Might even trade my 22/45 for one! Ha did I say that!! Going to happen soon....Ha I'm not going to hold my breath or put my money under the mattress wainting for it to come true!

lfpiii

Blackhawk
BigBlock1":5ull4725 said:
one bullet":5ull4725 said:
They could re-introduce the same gun with better sights and I bet they would sell like hot cakes!

EXACTLY! They've still probably got all the old equipment to make them in the shed out back...it's not like the wore it out during production. :roll: Though, part of it's demise might be that it's only a 6 shot which is still kind of lame for a .22. (that's like a 5 shot .32)

Most distributors have to order 250 - 500 of a special run. The big problem is that they have to pay 50% up front. A distributor will gamble on a single action or standard revolver but a 22 is risky.

Many years ago RSR had dealers collect money up front for a special S&W. RSR did not want to get burned. Delivery was slow but the program worked.

The only way something like this would work if a group of collectors paid and could wait up to a year for delivery.

BigBlock1

Bearcat
GP100owner":3idkmc60 said:
If Ruger employees read this forum, I'm going to guess your tone would keep them from answering any of your questions, and the insults you're posting about the LCR really are not going to help your case much.
I KNOW Ruger employees keep an eye on this forum, they threw a fit IMMEDIATELY after the LCR pictures got leaked early. I'm not trying to be nice to them or get a specific question answered, I'm rolling my eyes in their general direction. They just need to read this thread and see how many people like the idea. It's obviously something missing from their lineup. You might like your LCR but a LOT of people think that was a move in the wrong direction, however it does prove that they are open to investing in new revolvers.

lfpiii":3idkmc60 said:
Most distributors have to order 250 - 500 of a special run. The big problem is that they have to pay 50% up front. A distributor will gamble on a single action or standard revolver but a 22 is risky.
Well, I've been thinking about getting an FFL and starting a small gun shop. My aim would be internet business but I know the ATF requires "brick and mortar" sales too. Putting up 50 thou for a 10 shot GP-22 wouldn't be impossible for me. Seems like a real seller to me, at least as much as the .44 Special Blackhawks...

I agree, part of the problem with the SP101 22 was the 6 shot capacity, but I'd still think they could sell enough to make a profit. I mean, they already make the gun...all they have to do is drill different holes in it. How many years did they sell offer it?

Hell, I wonder if they'd bring the Security Six back if somebody ordered enough of them? :) :lol: