Why does the Vaquero cost more than a Blackhawk?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
I've been doing a little research as I'd love to have a single action centerfire revolver, and it seems the Vaqueros are more expensive than the Blackhawks. I'm just wondering why, as I'd think the Blackhawk would be more with the better sights, etc.

Sugar River

Buckeye
It boils down to the cost difference between the steel grip frame and the alloy. About $100 vs about $30. Plus a bit more fitting and polishing of same.

Pete

Oh Shoot

Bearcat
Sugar River":3l5a4is0 said:
It boils down to the cost difference between the steel grip frame and the alloy. About $100 vs about $30. Plus a bit more fitting and polishing of same.

Pete

I don't actually know, but is that for sure?
Here's same caliber and barrel length and finish in the two. Blackhawk is ever so slightly longer, but weighs 3 ounces more than the Vaquero. And the extra length would have to be toward the "lighter" grip end?

Vaquero
Caliber: .357 Mag.
Capacity: 6 Rounds
Finish: Blued
Grip: Black Checkered
Barrel Length: 4 5/8"
Groove: 8
Twist: 1:16" RH
Overall Length: 10 1/4"
Weight: 43 oz

Blackhawk

Caliber: .357 Mag.
Capacity: 6 Rounds
Finish: Blued
Grip: Black Checkered
Barrel Length: 4 5/8"
Groove: 8
Twist: 1:16" RH
Overall Length: 10 3/8"
Weight: 46 oz

- OS

gak

Buckeye
Yes, it looks like he is comparing specs on both current standard production models--shorter/lighter NV to BH. Hard to believe at this stage, but cost difference may be due to Ruger still covering for "new" tooling costs of New Vaquero...where BH was "covered" long ago?

Sugar River

Buckeye
Ruger's listed weights are even more approximate than their dates of manufacture.
Example from a very accurate digital scale:
NMBH 357, 4 5/8 blue = 2.50 lbs
NMBH 357, 4 5/8 SS = 2.83 lbs

As with the Vaqueros (original and New) the grip frame of the SS BH is steel, hence the weight difference.

But, don't take my word for it. Take a magnet to your LGS and see for yourself.

Pete

Latest posts