Why does the 44 Flat Top weigh so much?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Glupy

Blackhawk
Kuna, Idaho - a sparkling jewel in a park-like set
I'm looking at Ruger's specs on the blue Blackhawks.
Here is the link.

http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkBlued/models.html

The 44 Special weighs a lot more than the 41 MAG or the 45 Colt (45 oz vs 38 oz).
I thought that they were the same guns!
Is the different sized bores enough to make the difference?

I was gonna buy a 41 but I found a 44 Flat Top for almost the same price. Is the "cool" 44 worth the extra weight?

Dave

caryc

Hawkeye
Glupy":2t2ajpnd said:
I'm looking at Ruger's specs on the blue Blackhawks.
Here is the link.

http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkBlued/models.html

The 44 Special weighs a lot more than the 41 MAG or the 45 Colt (45 oz vs 38 oz).
I thought that they were the same guns!
Is the different sized bores enough to make the difference?

I was gonna buy a 41 but I found a 44 Flat Top for the same price. Is the "cool" 44 worth the extra weight?

Dave

It's the steel grip frame.

Dale53

Blackhawk
It's really quite simple. The aluminum grip frame is less expensive. It has utility value in that it weighs less for "carry a lot and shoot a little".

The .44 Special started out as a Special Edition (.44 Lipsey Special) and was "Specified" with a steel grip frame and ejector rod housing. It is DEFINITELY a handgun to "shoot a LOT". I consider this one to be a truly "Special" handgun and love mine EXACTLY the way it is. I especially like the fact that it shoots SO-O-O well (as in ACCURATE). I won't mind AT ALL the extra ounces that it carries - it rides just FINE in a good holster/belt combination:

DalesPistolsRevolvers4Selects-0395.jpg

FWIW
Dale53

caryc

Hawkeye
Besides being steel, it is a different grip frame than on the regular Blackhawks. It is the newly brought back steel copy of the old XR3 grip frame.

The .44 special flat top has the same grip frame as the New Vaquero and the two 50th Anniversary flat tops. That would be the .357 and the .44 mag.

It's a smaller grip frame than what is on the Blackhawks.

Glupy

Blackhawk
Kuna, Idaho - a sparkling jewel in a park-like set
The group always knows the answers.
I am both thankful and impressed.

I'll buy the 44 Flat Top over the 41.
I already have a 50th Anniversary 44 Blackhawk but I've never shot it.
Now that CDNN sells them for $379, there appears to be no reason to treat it special any more.

Happy shooting!

Dave

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
To add to Cary's comment, the "New XR3" is only available in steel and is 7/16" thick. The original XR3 was aluminum and 1/2" think. The Blackhawks generally came with aluminum XR3-RED sized grip frames, the Vaqueros, Old Army, and short barreled Super Blackhawks came with a steel XR3-RED grip frame.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Yes, the .44Spl is heavier than the .45Colt and .41Mag large frame guns because of the steel grip frame AND steel ejector housing. It is a very well made and very well balanced sixgun.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
CraigC":2i2ws2jn said:
Yes, the .44Spl is heavier than the .45Colt and .41Mag large frame guns because of the steel grip frame AND steel ejector housing. It is a very well made and very well balanced sixgun.
I'll refrain from comment... :lol: :wink: