Why did they stop making the 12 inch Super Blackhawk?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
I don't recall a 12" SBH. I do know they made the 10" ones. Ok, I wasn't sure,, it was 10-1/2" barrels. I'm not into the NM's as much. And I don't have any over 7-1/2" anyway.
Still, Ruger hasn't ever had any production 12" barreled SBH's.

hutchman

Blackhawk
NM Super Blackhawks are 10 1/2" and look like this......

0807.jpg

That picture is straight from the webpage......they are still making them.

As far as a holster goes, I use an across the chest type for mine. Easy to carry and readily at hand.

Sharp Shooter

Single-Sixer
contender":36g1jo86 said:
I don't recall a 12" SBH. I do know they made the 10" ones. Ok, I wasn't sure,, it was 10-1/2" barrels. I'm not into the NM's as much. And I don't have any over 7-1/2" anyway.
Still, Ruger hasn't ever had any production 12" barreled SBH's.

Actually they're 10.5 barrels, and Ruger still lists them in their 2010 catalog in both stainless and blue - each with 10.5" bull barrels. Ruger used to call them "Super Silouettes," and my wife had a couple of them when we were heavily into IHMSA competition back in the '80s. She still has one, but she had Ruger install a 5.5" barrel on it to make it easier to pack around.

Doug.38PR

Single-Sixer
Somewhere between El Paso TX and Charleston SC
huh....I guess they're back. A few years ago I checked their site and all they had were 7.5 inch and below barrels.
The only thing different between that picture and my gun that my eye (not tape measure of course) can see is the front sight isn't as slanted on the back.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Prior to the "bull barrel" versions Ruger made "tapered barrel" 10-1/2" .44 mag. Super Blackhawks.

The blued examples are rather common but the stainless models are rather scarce.

157334697.jpg

I put a "home made" front sight blade on this one and it works really well....

flatgate

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
I seem to remember a couple of 15" barrels, were made on special order for a gun scribe, that were pictured in one of the Ruger books. I think that one of them was ultimately cut to 10". Someone here surely will know more about these than I do.(Carl, or Chet?)
EarlFH

street

Hunter
EarlFH":2y9nhdve said:
I seem to remember a couple of 15" barrels, were made on special order for a gun scribe, that were pictured in one of the Ruger books. I think that one of them was ultimately cut to 10". Someone here surely will know more about these than I do.(Carl, or Chet?)
EarlFH

I don't know about the Supers but Bill Ruger made 2, 15 in .44 Flattop BlackHawks. The story was that he kept one and gave the other to his drinking buddy. The one that he had was cut off to 10 in. and became the prototype for the BKH-40. "10 in. 44. Flattop". The other is in the hands of a collector.

Kanook

Buckeye
It sure would be nice if the offered the 357 with a 10 1/2 and the dragoon grip to us freaks. I've got the 44 and I want a 357, I'd even settle for a max :)

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

It is questionable whether or not Ned Buntline ever actually commissioned Colt to make the long barreled revolvers he is supposed to have presented to Western Lawmen. Colt does not have any record of such a transaction.

Interestingly enough, I have a 2nd Gen 45 Caliber Colt with a 7 1'2" barrel. At least that's how it was when I bought it. When I had it lettered by Colt they stated it left the factory with a 12" barrel. It must have been subsequently cut down by somebody before I bought it. Probably the factory, as it came with two cylinders, but originally left the factory with only one.

Cholo

Staff member
DJ, I've read the same Colt/Buntline story. One thing's for certain, Colt sure liked the name because I have a SA Colt marked "New Frontier Buntline .22".

flatgate

Hawkeye
Kanook,
Yup, those 10-1/2" Maxis are out there. I've owned a few of them. Wonderful shooters.

Ruger did make one 12" barreled Old Model Super Blackhawk. I believe it was an "employee gun".

flatgate