Why did they discontinue the Security Six?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

45flattop

Single-Sixer
If I remember correctly, in R.L. Wilson's book, "Ruger and His Guns"
Bill Ruger is quoted as saying that the Security Six was difficult to
manufacture and costly so it was redesigned into a new platform
that I like better than the SS actually but we can agree to disagree.

Three44s

Single-Sixer
I heard that Bill Ruger worried that the Security Sixes and ilk might also suffer from the same malady that the Smith K frames were showing up with after the 110 and 125 jacketed loads became so popular.

I believe that no problem ever actually surfaced but the ever conservative and cautious Ruger came out with the GP 100.

Myself, I own a Security Six and bemoan their departure and also own a Super Redhawk so I cheerish the GP 100 design but opt not to pack one in .357 clothes but rather in .44 as I don't see the need for such a stout .357.

I have a stout .357 in a Highway Patrolman and it predicatibily is a safe queen.

Three 44s

Doug.38PR

Single-Sixer
Somewhere between El Paso TX and Charleston SC
well... *ahem*...I used to have a Security Six...but I sold it about two years ago and bought a Smith & Wesson Model 15 in it's place. (It was an older SS design that wouldn't fit larger target grips. I put a Buffalo Bore .357 magnum 180 gr through it with regular service grips and the recoil was so vicious that the back of the hammer spur cut into the webing between my thumb and indexfinger.)

yeah, I like older revolver designs. They look nicer. I also like blued guns to stainless steel. Stainless steel to me looks like a flashy pimp's gun. Bluing looks more professional. But that's just me.

Doug.38PR":tv23vj06 said:
well... *ahem*...I used to have a Security Six...but I sold it about two years ago and bought a Smith & Wesson Model 15 in it's place. (It was an older SS design that wouldn't fit larger target grips. I put a Buffalo Bore .357 magnum 180 gr through it with regular service grips and the recoil was so vicious that the back of the hammer spur cut into the webing between my thumb and indexfinger.)

yeah, I like older revolver designs. They look nicer. I also like blued guns to stainless steel. Stainless steel to me looks like a flashy pimp's gun. Bluing looks more professional. But that's just me.

Almost all of my Smith & Wessons' are the older, blued, wooden grip models that my dad owned and which I inherited. I also inherited his Colt Diamondback. All are very nice revolvers. I like those old classics. I will have to find some of the classic Rugers. :D

louiethelump

Buckeye
My understanding on the Security Six was that they never made a penny on the guns the whole time they manufactured them. Supposedly the manufacturing costs were such that it was not a profitable product.

Personally I think there was more to it than that, and the idea was a beefier gun, but you don't hear about the security six series in any of its variations having the shooting loose problems that the Smiths had. I am convinced that the security six was a stronger gun. I had one of the first ones as soon as they came out, and it was a great gun. A little touchy about high primers, and hard to clean the cylinder down inside after shooting lead bullets but otherwise great.

I wonder where that 6" blue original gun is today?

wixedmords

Blackhawk
Doug I enjoy both the GP100 and the Security Six.

Slightly different looking, both beautiful to me.

Are you really shooting 180 grain .357 through a Smith model 15? There's a tight fit.

Beyond eye protection, I would look at some type of face protection. :)

You need another Security Six Doug. ;)

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
I've always liked the Security Six ,police six and speed six over the GP100 or Sp101...just my perferance nothing against GP or SP just like 6's better.

Doug.38PR

Single-Sixer
wixedmords":2bym31ne said:
Doug I enjoy both the GP100 and the Security Six.

Slightly different looking, both beautiful to me.

Are you really shooting 180 grain .357 through a Smith model 15? There's a tight fit.

Beyond eye protection, I would look at some type of face protection. :)

You need another Security Six Doug. ;)

No. LOL!!!! :lol: NononononoGOSHNo. My hand wouldn't be here to type this E mail. Sorry for the confusion. I was refering to the reason I traded my Security Six for the M-15. The Security Six was nice but it was an older version that wouldn't fit Wooden or even rubber target grips. All I could use was the service grips that the SS came with. Those little service grips slipped through my fist under the recoil of that Buffalo Bore 180 gr magnum. I finally traded the SS at a gunshow and found a good knock down drag out M-15. I was after either a 15 or a 19.

WendyZXZ, treasure those guns! Especially the Diamondback! Colts are a work of art. (I shouldn't be saying all this on a ruger forum).

In all honesty, the only ruger revolver I have now is a Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum with something like a 10 inch barrel. Looks like something the Joker would use. Feels like you're charles bronsen in Deathwish III shooting that thing.

I've always heard Ruger Security Sixes are "Built like a truck" I seem to remember someone telling me of a legend in which Texas rangers (or some Texas LEOs) tested them by dragging them on the back of a pickup and if they could still shoot true after that, they were an excellent weapon of choice. They did shoot true and the officers did carry them. Again this is a legend. Don't know if it's true. Don't repeat it as fact unless you know different

GP100man

Buckeye
the six series was hand fitted , each part .
gp series just the cyl , hammer& trigger sear is fitted.

Doug i dearly luved my snakes but colt no longer supports there da revolver platform sooo they had to go.

Hobie

Single-Sixer
I would imagine that the switch was connected to cost of production and warranty while simultaneously permitting marketing as product improvement.

I prefer the six-series over the GP100s but that is personal preference. The GPs have great grips. Either the original or the Hogues fit my hand.

mt

Single-Sixer
I seem to remember the GP-100 coming out shortly after Smith & Wesson started having great success with their "L" frame. I think the GP was a purely competitive move. It was all the rage in the mid 80's to move up to the "L" frame .

mt

Three50seven

Buckeye
I'll take any six-series gun over a GP or K-frame S&W any day. The old Smith's are nice, but they just aren't as sweet as the Six's :wink:

stare-decisis

Single-Sixer
I just bought one that was made in 1982. Its in immaculate shape and shoots great. All this for 325$. Reminds me of Steyr pistols (MA1) one of the best kept, affordable secrets out there..

Doug.38PR

Single-Sixer
Three50seven":i9okvvbf said:
I'll take any six-series gun over a GP or K-frame S&W any day. The old Smith's are nice, but they just aren't as sweet as the Six's :wink:

well...they are more durable anyway to my understanding

285L.jpg

PR035-Ruger-160-L.jpg

which of these looks better to y'all? The first one is ugly as a mud fence in my mind. The second is sleek and classy. I guess the barrel makes all the difference in a gun. You either love it or you hate it

BusMaster007X

Bearcat
The main difference is in the bbl., aesthetically speaking.
The gripframe vs. stub is the next item.

I prefer the GP-100 series.
They look 'beefier'.
I like beefy; in my guns and in my women... :twisted:

Fragile front end with a big butt? not so much!!! :twisted:

Latest posts