Why did they discontinue the Security Six?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Quietdood":2bo711ha said:
I think they're just different animals.

When I think about different eras of guns, I envision certain guns. The GP-100's looks or lack thereof don't lend themselves to any nostalgic period in my mind. That's probably why I bought mine when I saw it. It just seemed right for the purpose I bought it, not for patrolling, not detective work, not riding horses with it. I bought it for one predominant reason, one that I hope I'll never need it for: getting the overwhelming jump on some thug in what statistically will be my darkened home. Black (ok blue), hefty, powerful... should I have the choice, I'd rather use it as a club.

But don't listen to me, I liked the look of the LCR when it came out. I guess I just look at things for what they are and try to leave preconceptions and affiliations behind sometimes.

Ruger does come out with some UGLY firearms at times at least in regards to handguns, but they do have what I consider the most attractive rifle ever built. The Ruger Number 1.

Cholo

Staff member
I have a bought new 4" SS Security SixHB, 6" Model 28 and a 6" blue Python. How strong does a .357 need to be? I can't wear any of them out! I was at the gun club one day and a guy with a 6" Python was knocking green leaves off a tree with it. I asked him what he was shooting. He said a 158gr JHP over 20 grs of 2400 :shock: I think I'll leave those loads to him and revhigh :wink:

I never cared for the "new" look of DA revolvers, including Rugers. To each his own. If a Security Six can't handle it, I don't care what does. If I need more, I'll use a bigger gun...

Hobie

Single-Sixer
I happen to have both a M19 and a SS at hand and the differences in cylinder dimensions are slightly different. I was surprised to find that the M19 cylinder was slightly longer than the SS cylinder. I personally feel that these differences are relatively inconsequential. Depending on the stocks used, these guns are all fun to shoot and fit my hand well.

However, I do have an unreasonable/illogical love for the 4" stainless SS...

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
Doug.38PR":1v12umwp said:
In my mind, as .357 magnums go....it was mean't to be fired in the N-Frame. My 6 inch S&W M-28 Highway Patrolman makes it feel like nothing in recoil, but you can still feel the power of a hand cannon as it surges through you arm and the shockwave of the blast hits your nose, chest and the ground beneath you (not to mention being felt by those standing beside or behind you.....and certainly felt by the one in front of you who receiving the other end of the blast)
My Python can handle it okay. It's fun to shoot. But it's recoil is a bit more than the Highway Patrolman

The .357 magnum, while not a S&W 500, is still quite a cannon and there is reason they were first built on those N frame guns.

My Highway Patrolman can handle anything the .357 can dish out from light 110 gr Winchesters to 180 gr Buffalo Bores

Doug, I am looking forward to shooting my new to me model 28-2 4". I have heard that the N frame can handle any factory 357 round. I use to have a 357 new model blackhawk and it was a joy to shoot 357 rounds. Recoil was not a problem.

I will let you know
roaddog28

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
I have a couple of Sec-Sixes. One, a 150 prefix 6" blued model. The 2nd is a stainless 4". I've probably owned at one time or another at least another 5 or 6 Sec-Sixes and one Speed-Six.

The only one I had that I really didn't care for was a 4" bull barrel model.

GP's... heavy enough to make a good sinker on a deep sea fishing line...... 8)

Hobie

Single-Sixer
Doug.38PR":1ghjlx3b said:
Wendy, Lost Sheep,

Grips do indeed make a difference. Now that y'all say that, my friend's gun did have original wooden grips, and they looked great...even for the GP100 ;)

If the GP is indeed bigger than the SS as all of y'all are saying...that's saying quite a bit. The SS frame is larger than the S&W K frame and appears to be the equal of the Colt Official Police, Trooper, Python (I/E Frame Colts). If the GP is bigger than that...well...that's approaching a S&W N-Frame (Dirty Harry territory)
Your post got me thinking and I measured the cylinders on my S&W M19, Ruger stainless Security-Six and Colt Official Police. I was thinking that just about everything else is based on cylinder size. The results might interest some...

The frames are different because the geometry of the action is different in each, and takes up a different about of space with slightly different proportions to the frame as well.

I think that the question of which you prefer comes down to what feels good to an individual, in each individual's hands, with each individual's strength level.

I have average size hands and I like them all. Go figger!

TreeDoc

Bearcat
I've had many 'sixes' and for me they shot well, but I usually had to change the grips, as they would roll in my hand with stouter loads. Lighter to carry than a GP, but found with a quality holster the Gp rode just as well. The extra weight really shines in shooting. For me, I took a used GP 4 incher, shot 2 inch groups at 20 yards, using 158 loads, DA, no rest. I was sold.

dave

Bearcat
I owned a security / speed six for years and the trigger rebound spring broke three times.
( no great problem - i could shoot it, if necessary )
Now i own a gp 141 about 10 years ( and about 25000 rounds ) and no spring broke ..