Why did Ruger drop the 10/22 Magnum?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vol423

Bearcat
When they were in production, I kept saying that I ought to get one of those, but didn't. Now I wonder why Ruger dropped them. Weren't they popular enough, or were there performance problems with them? Why didn't Ruger reintroduce the Magnum action in 17 HMR, which is wildly popular nowadays?

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Marketing MBA-pinhead decisions.

Same as every other model-cancelling decision Ruger has ever made (with the possible exceptions of the SRM and XGI, which were engineering surrenders).

:(

contender

Ruger Guru
I've heard a few rumors that some folks were swapping barrels to 17 HMR w/o doing a proper conversion (springs etc,) and damaging the recievers. Then they expected Ruger to fix them,,,,! Just a rumor,,, but who knows,,,????

edlmann

Blackhawk
vol423":1xs0shw0 said:
When they were in production, I kept saying that I ought to get one of those, but didn't. Now I wonder why Ruger dropped them. Weren't they popular enough, or were there performance problems with them? Why didn't Ruger reintroduce the Magnum action in 17 HMR, which is wildly popular nowadays?

I think the problem may have been trying to fire .22WMR or .17HMR in a blowback action. IIRC, Remington dropped the magnum versions of the 597 about the same time.

vol423

Bearcat
Remington makes the 597 in 17 HMR so it isn't a strength issue I don't believe. 22 Magnums have for some time had a reputation for being inacurate, and most reputations are based on fact. I've had a couple of factory 22 Mags that were pretty poor shooters. One of them was a Winchester model 61. My best shooting .22 Mag ever is a .22LR on a Martini action rechambered to 22 Mag. The strong action takes the pressure of swaging down the bullet from .224 to .221 and this takes the "windage" out of the variation between the bullet and the groove diameter. The gun shoots into 1-1/4 inches at 100 yards.

toysoldier

Hunter
Reliability issues. Making that long, skinny case work in a blowback action is a real challenge, and a locked-breeech action would be too expensive. Little demand means it just isn't worth the expense of working out the problems. A .32 or .380 carbine might make more sense.