Why did changing my grip frame add creep to my SBH trigger?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
I switched from the smaller grip frame (5.5" SBH) to a Hunter. When I was done I noticed some creep in my trigger. I took it apart and buffed things up and measured my sear notch (0.012"). I can't quite figure out why this would be. The trigger is still better than any NM Ruger I've ever seen from the factory, but not as good as it was. Any thoughts?

tek4260

Buckeye
I don't think it would have any affect other than the possibility the trigger is now rubbing the side of the trigger slot. Most likely, the different grip locates your hand and finger differently, therefore it "feels" different, when in fact it is the same.

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
Could be there is .001 or .002 difference in the spacing of your hammer pin and trigger pin between the two frames.

Might even be a slight change in the angles at which the sear interfaces with the notch in the hammer due to a very slight change in the geometry of the interface due to slight differences in the location of the hammer and trigger pin.

Of course, it could even be a sudden gust of gravity in your location!

The hammer pin and trigger pin are located in the Cyl. frame not the grip frame.
tec4260 has the answer but also look at your old grip frame. Look for relief cuts fro the pawl and gate detent spring. You may have to match the cuts if there.
Eric

Aggie01

Blackhawk
tek4260 probably nailed it. if creep is the issue, it almost CANNOT be changing the sear, since the sear ledge was unchanged. I would take it apart, cover everything with a sharpie, reassemble, cycle, disassemble and look for interference marks.