WHY CARRY???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
I know I'm talking to the choir (for the most part) But I'll bet there are still people here who don't carry.

Subject: why carry?

August 25, 2020

Are you crazy to carry a gun…or crazy not to?

by Dean Rieck

Recently, a friend of mine said that people who want a gun for
protection are just plain crazy. My friend’s argument was that you’re
a lot more likely to die in a car accident or a fire. The likelihood
that you’ll be killed by a burglar who breaks into your home or a
hoodlum who jumps you in a dark parking lot, my friend said, are about
the same as getting struck by lightning. So thinking you need a gun
means you’re afraid of an unlikely event and are therefore irrational.

I disagreed but couldn’t quote any statistics to counter the argument.
And I had to admit, the idea of actually being killed by a bad guy did
seem pretty remote. But I got to wondering what the odds really are,
so I did a little research. And what I found was startling.

The National Safety Council is a nonprofit public service organization
chartered by the U.S. Congress. On their web site (www.nsc.org), they
publish a chart with the “odds” of dying by various means. You’re
probably familiar with the concept of odds. If you flip a coin, your
odds of getting heads are 1 out of 2. If you randomly choose a card
from a full deck, your odds of getting the ace of spades are 1 out of
52. The lower the number, the more likely it is to happen. The higher
the number, the less likely it is to happen.

One column in the NSC chart gives the odds of dying in a particular
way over the course of your lifetime. So, for example, the lifetime
odds of being struck and killed by lightening are 1 out of 180,746.
That’s a high number, so it’s not too likely.

But according to the chart, the lifetime odds of dying by assault of
any kind are 1 out of 221. That means you have a 1 in 221 chance of
being killed in an assault with a knife, a gun, a beating, or by any
other violent means.

And how does that compare to car accidents and fires? The lifetime
odds of dying in a car accident are 1 out of 608. That’s right. The
odds of being killed in an assault are higher than the odds of being
killed in your car. And the odds of dying by assault are also greater
than the odds of dying in a fire (1 out of 1,399).

So here’s the point. Your odds of dying in a car crash are 1 out of
608 in your lifetime, but no one would say it’s crazy to wear a seat
belt. Your odds of dying in a fire are 1 out of 1,399, but no one
would think it’s irrational to install a smoke detector.

And it’s not just your odds of being killed in an assault that you
should consider, because the odds of being beaten or raped or
otherwise injured are far higher since most assaults do not end in
death. According to the U.S. Department of Justice, your lifetime odds
of being a victim of violent crime are 1 out of 2. Yes, it’s a flip of
the coin as to whether you’ll be the victim of violent crime at some
point in your life.

The way I see it, having a gun handy is just as rational as buckling
up or checking your smoke detector batteries. Pragmatic people know
that bad things can and do happen and they take pro-active steps to
avoid or survive those situations. Having or even carrying a gun is
just one of hundreds of little things that responsible adults do to
plan for unexpected events, especially when those events have dire
consequences for those who are unprepared.

So it makes you wonder who’s really crazy—those who have a gun or
those who don’t?

My father who has passed now and probably the most gentle, forgiving and generous man I've ever known once quietly told me something:

"son, just about the worst thing you can do in this life is kill a man, in fact there is only one thing worse... having the need to and not the means."

For those here that don't recall... he was one of the Chosen Few.... 10 days in 1950 that showed the metal of the marines... he was in recon company and they were the last to come out of the reservoir.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
Blume, was your dad a WW II vet? He sounds like mine, quiet and reserved. But on the one and only time he had to confront violent people (that I witnessed) another man appeared. That man disappeared just as fast when the situation was resolved.

I didn't understand until something similar happened to me. Someone arose in me that I thought long dead, and afterwards disappeared just as fast. I see the same in my kids, I hate it because I know what it took to cause these types of transformations.

Every father that served prays his kids will never need to. So far that hasn't happened but we can hope.

muzzleloader

Single-Sixer
“How many times does someone get killed around here? Same as anywhere, just once”.

I can’t comment on the statistics, I’m not even sure if the numbers sound correct or not. But the odd of dying being 221 to 1 seems pretty low. I wonder how they came up with that number? Do the statistics mention anything about location?

People need to be aware of their surroundings. When we moved to Chicago, the people at work told me, don’t even drive through the South Side, day or night. We lived there for 4 years and I never did, nor did I even hear a gunshot outside of a shooting range.

bogus bill

Hunter
This depends on your lifestyle, location and age. When young I was adventurous, wilder, stronger, unassuming and carefree. Had rough jobs that took me all over the country, hired tough guys and was still "girling". Girling almost got me killed by jealous ex boyfriend sore heads. I dont have that worry at 79, married and living in mormonland. But now I am old ,crippled, weak and recovering from hip replacement. I am more of a target. I lived in rougher areas, was single to almost forty, married about four years, divorced and single again for another 20 years. Most those years I was a armed guard anyway.
What saved me a few times was that I was armed but concealed. I am positive it got me through a couple of incidents without hinting I had one just by feeding my confidence which gave me the demeanor needed to make the other enraged party's to back off. Bad people can smell fear and get deswayed with people with confidence.
I believe if a survey was made just the fact a person was armed without the person even hinting they were, very many people would agree the confidence it gave them saved their bacon too.
I once read something by a cocky martial arts expert that claimed to try out or prove that theory walked through N.Y. city`s Central Park many times at like 03:00 and never was bothered. Thugs and cowards CAN smell confidence and that shows up from your demeanor.

Jeepnik said:
Blume, was your dad a WW II vet? He sounds like mine, quiet and reserved. But on the one and only time he had to confront violent people (that I witnessed) another man appeared. That man disappeared just as fast when the situation was resolved.

Jeepnik, nope... he graduated from Highschool in 1947 and joined the Navy.... interesting story... that when he got back to Norfolk from his first cruise out he went to the Captain of the ship and told him he no longer wanted to be in the Navy... he wanted to transfer to the Marines.... Captain pulled a form out of his desk filled it out and my father was headed to Paris Island.... he spent much of the next years on Submarines... until they dumped him and his buddies out at a place called Inchon..... of course then they spent the next months working their way up to the reservoir ....... then it got cold and a whole hell of a lot of Chinese showed up...I waited too long to ask him the one question that always stuck in my mind after he told me his history.... while he was hunkered down in a hole in summer fatigues with it 30 below and 100,000 Chinese were coming at them did he ever think that maybe being in the Navy was not that bad?

I have a poster of the British Royal Marines in my gun space he got at a reunion in London.. seems while the Army was retreating south to leave the Marines to their own... those damn British Marines fought their way in......

Mobuck

Hawkeye
By my calculations it's a 50% chance I'll be struck by lightning(either I will or I won't- that's 50/50 correct?). Same with all those other causes.
I consider myself to be fairly well mentally prepared, attentive to my surroundings, and don't live or travel often to risky locations which makes me less of a target than others. That said, out of the previous 5 business trips to St Charles MO, I've been confronted by people trying to steal my pocket money once. Based on those figures, I could say I have a 20% chance of being accosted by robbers. That's unacceptable.
I carry a gun because I can't run or fight and have no confidence in anyone else helping me out of a jam. I see no good reason NOT to carry a gun.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Kevin said:
I can’t comment on the statistics, I’m not even sure if the numbers sound correct or not. But the odd of dying being 221 to 1 seems pretty low. I wonder how they came up with that number? Do the statistics mention anything about location?

People need to be aware of their surroundings. When we moved to Chicago, the people at work told me, don’t even drive through the South Side, day or night. We lived there for 4 years and I never did, nor did I even hear a gunshot outside of a shooting range.

Statistics, and the Probablities derived from them, say far more about the state of our knowledge than they do about reality. Just something to keep in mind. :)

contender

Ruger Guru
""son, just about the worst thing you can do in this life is kill a man, in fact there is only one thing worse... having the need to and not the means."

This quote is very similar to what my Dad once asked me when I was in my mid 20's.
He said; "Why do you carry that gun? What are you scared of" I replied; "Dad I'm scared of nothing,, but I'm prepared for anything." My Dad nodded, and said, "Good answer. Don't ever use it unless you have to, but if you have to, by all means, don't hesitate."

The BSA motto I've lived all my life with is; "Be Prepared."

Statistics are subjective. A person living in Chicago, is more likely to be involved in a shooting incident, than say someone like Mobuck, a farmer in a very rural area. Whereas, Mobuck is more likely to be struck by lightning, than a Chicago person. Statistically, it depends upon different factors. But OVERALL,,, using just the black & while numbers of population, & numbers of deaths, those figures may be close.

So, as it's been taught for centuries; "Prepare for war, but pray for peace."

bogus bill

Hunter
I have one statistic that is a 100% sure deal: We are all gonna die! I just want to put that off as long as possible.
The older we get the less chance of getting hit by lighting but we also become a more likely target due to weakness.
It`s a shell game.
Speaking of getting hit by lighting, years ago I worked with a guy on the conservation dept. He was a guide on the side. He took a guy out duck hunting. A storm come up and they took shelter under a tree. His client got hit by lighting, and it killed him. He said even the shells in his vest went off and it split the guy wide open! Nothing happened to my friend. This was over 65 years ago.
The way this country is headed it`s becoming more like Iraq every day. The need for self defense is getting more likely.

Paul B

Buckeye
For years my wife griped about the fact I always had a gun handy. One day at a gas station I was accosted by a man with a club who thought I was the ex-mayor of Tucson. Even after showing him my ID he still thought I was the man he wanted to do harm to. After getting into my vehicle which just happened to be blocked he starts pounding in the roof saying was going to kill me. It took some very loud shouting and a 9MM pointed at his face before he would back off and leave. My wife told me she would never complain about me having a gun handy agin, and she never did.
A few years ago, the ex-mayor in question passed away and there was a big blurb in the paper with lots of pictures. I was almost a perfect doppelganger for the late mayor. Close enough that we could have been twins.
The point is, if I had not had that gun handy, the potential outcome could have ended up a hell of a lot worse. I carry to this day.
Paul B.

bobski

Hunter
there were many times I wish I had a gun, but didn't.
and in todays world the responsibility that goes with carrying one is different. when you carried before, you were considered mature and responsible.
the issue today is, a vast majority of people who carry aren't mature or responsible and are the handiwork of the gun industry pushing guns out for everyone, skipping the training.
for those that are mature, the legal web of do's and dont's has made carrying a fearful thing.
so much so that the fear of breaking laws and being arrested by the very law that is suppose to protect you, is more.... than a perp or an attacker actually attacking you.

XP100

Blackhawk
WHY CARRY? It's better to have one and not need it than need one and not have it.

bogus bill

Hunter
Now that I am old I discovered what they meant by that old saying, "If you dont use it, you will lose it". I think
that can be applied to gun rights. If legal where you live but no one bothered to get a permit soon they wouldn't be offered.
Once strong I now couldn't fight my way out of a wet paper bag. 79, hip replacement and re cracked it again it`s a job to walk with a cane across the street to get my mail. Years ago at work a guy thought I looked like Slim Pickens and called me that. Now it would be "Easy" Pickens." Thats why I pack now. Aint sure why I used to pack.