Why buy a .327?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Why not? We have the .44 mag which can do all the .357 can and more. e have the .30-06 which can suffice for most North American game and we have a 12 gauge...not explanation needed. Why have all the other chamberings? "Tradition"? Some it's fun to break "tradition" and venture past the fence.

Dennis, thats what makes it all so interesting, we all have our favorites, and thats why all cars are NOT 'black' like Uncle Henry wanted us to have.....
Yes, I agree with your premise, to me too many "niche" calibers ,but hell, thats why they had all them 'wildcats' back when I was younger....yep, even I owned a "K Hornet"in a Ruger #3 at one time.....now just maybe I'd buy another #3 in say 204 Ruger? but they do not heed ( listen ) to all of us, beside ,lots of us are left handed to boot.... go figure, damn, they quit making the #3's didn;t they...oh well

dougader

Hunter
Because its a great little caliber. I'd prefer one made on a single six frame (like Bowen, Harton, etc, make) or the SP101 with a 2-1/2" barrel. Since they only make the 3" SP101 I'll settle with that.

I like the 357 mag, too, but that's the fun of it... I can get 41 mag, 44 mag, 45 Colt, 480 Ruger.... and on and on.

I think the GP100 is nice, but kind of thought they should have been able to make it an 8 shot gun... maybe not. I like the Blackhawk but 46 ounces is kind of heavy.

I'd like a 327 Blackhawk made on the medium frame (like the New Vaquero and the flat top 357 and 44 special) and the choice of steel or aluminum grip frame.

flatgate

Hawkeye
I've no use for one. My .22's are perfect for what they do....and I have Ruger .32 Magnums for varmints and plinking, otherwise I'll step up to a forty cal. something to get the job done.

I AIN'T SAYING the .327 isn't interesting, but, it's not, at this point in time, one I'd want to investigate. I'll bet a lot of folks get good results with the .327's, though!

JMHO,

flatgate

dougader

Hunter
Can't argue with your line of thinking, Flatgate. I just find most every cartridge interesting. If I had the cash, I'd have a lot more calibers than I do now. But the jump from .22 to .32 H&R... then to .357, 44, 45, etc certainly does have it all covered.

I, for one, don't plan to load the super long .32 bullets like Jeff Quinn and feel like I can load my 32 H&R mags plenty hot to get the job done. But I still like the 327 for what it is. I like the 41 mag, too, but have never owned one... just shot my friend's 41 mag Blackhawk and really liked it.

BearStopper

Blackhawk
Because I already have a .357 and I want a .327 too. Its not a matter of need but of want. Its a nice high cap revolver in a great plinking/varminting/small game cartridge. With accuracy like shown in Jeff's test I just may carry it alot more than I do any other. I love OM Blackhawks but the 32 H&R magnum bug hit me recently and a 327 would make a great addition to the 4 5/8" SS I recently bought. I can use the same bullet moulds and even shoot some H&R loads out of the .327 if necessary. All the worry about hard to find ammo makes me wonder why every serious gunner doesn't already have a complete reloading bench that covers you for old standby loads and even preps for any new additions. I constantly buy good deals on reloading supplies/equip and I bet I have 3 complete reloading benches worth of equipment that cost me very little just because I obsessively seek out deals on this stuff. And yes the .41 mag does rock, especially in an OM Blackhawk!!!!!!!

varminter22

Single-Sixer
I like the idea of a Single Six .327.

But I loathe the idea of a Blackhawk .327.

When the .327 first was announced, I was sort of exciting about.

But I love the .32 H&R mag so much that, well, unless they make the .327 on a Single Six frame, why bother? For the larger frame size, I can carry the Lipseys .44 Spec Blackhawk.

mattsbox99

Hunter
BlkHawk73":33ytztcx said:
Why not? We have the .44 mag which can do all the .357 can and more. e have the .30-06 which can suffice for most North American game and we have a 12 gauge...not explanation needed. Why have all the other chamberings? "Tradition"? Some it's fun to break "tradition" and venture past the fence.

I agree, its precisely why I would want one.

nn

Single-Sixer
The .327 is a better cartridge that given credit; problem is, until you have one and shoot it some in varied applications other that punching holes at the range, you'll never know how good it is.
And because I say it is good and you don't want to believe it doesn't mean anything; only experience means something.
Look at the ballistics charts, it is better than a .38 and as good as some .357 loadings.
Then the handgun that shoots it has 3 other cartridges it can shoot.
And the ammo is available, you just have to find it and then order it when you find it.

I still see the .327 as a modern, straight-cased, rimmed version of the .30 Carbine and .32-20, able to be used in revolvers and perhaps lever-action rifles and easily reloaded.. As such, I think it will find some converts to its cause.

I was hoping for a Single-Six, but now that I'm aware of the pressures involved I understand the decision to put it in larger cylinders, with the bonus feature of additional cylinder capacity.

Not for everybody perhaps, but I foresee some interest. I kinda like that eight-shot Blackhawk. Hope it will be offered in a blue version.

JMHO
:)

contender

Ruger Guru
I will own one for all of the positive reasons mentioned above. Plus,, It will be very versitile in it's brass choices. I have some of all 4 calibers,,,,!

maxpress

Buckeye
i think it would be good pest control on a farm/ranch. a .22 is just to small for coyote at distance and a .357 carries 6 shots conventionally and is a little overkill on gopher. the .327 would knock down a coyote fast and would have 8 shots for hard targets such a rabbit and groundhog and gopher.

i guess having the extra shot in a gp100 or sp would be nice.

revhigh

Hawkeye
OK ... alll you guys who 'want' one and 'will buy one' ... let's see some pics of you actually 'owning' one .... then we'll all believe how great you REALLY think it is ...

I think it would be neat to shoot one, but I sure wouldn't actually buy one.

REV

Sturgell

Bearcat
maxpress":hgphladg said:
i think it would be good pest control on a farm/ranch. a .22 is just to small for coyote at distance and a .357 carries 6 shots conventionally and is a little overkill on gopher. the .327 would knock down a coyote fast and would have 8 shots for hard targets such a rabbit and groundhog and gopher.

i guess having the extra shot in a gp100 or sp would be nice.

I disagree with the part in bold. I routinely hunt squirrels with a 357 loaded with 7 grains of HS-6 and a 158 grain SWC, it works really well leaving a clean hole and I would have no problem shooting a deer with it.

Hell I have even been known to knock them out of trees with an RCBS 225-SWC-GC bullet on top of 11 grains of HS-6 out of a 7.5 inch 44 Redhawk.

You guys just don't use enough gun for them pesky little tree rats.

maxpress

Buckeye
maybe that was a bad choice in words. how bout "you dont need that much". ive hit all manner of hole diggers with 240gr cast out of my .44s which ends them quite fast. it also leaves a distinct spray and splatter so you can see if you really hit em if they just ducked back into the hole.

REP1954

Blackhawk
I dont want a 357 on a full size New Model frame why would I want a lesser cartridge on that frame to.

Flash

Buckeye
At one point, I thought the concept was a good one. As a 32 mag owner, in two different guns, I decided to hotrod my 32-20 cases in my NM 30 carbine Blackhawk. Oh yes, it's one helluva sh!t storm but the 7 1/2" barrel and weight of the Blackhawk, makes it a chore to lug around all day and it stays home more than it travels with me. At least I found out that the 327 would serve me no practicle purpose without spending $600 plus on the gun, dies and brass.