Whoopeee!! We're all gonna die!!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ohio! Way too freakin' close to the city!
A lot of people have been predicting a lot of events, disasters, 'comings of", climate events that are toxic/deadly and "end of the world" for thousands of years but almost none of it has ever happened or come true! I don't discount people's beliefs but "It ain't over till it's over"! I'm still watchin' and looking for the big sign! Until then, enjoy as much of life as you can!

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
Keep in mind that the Los Angles Basin looks like a well shattered pane of glass with all the many many earthquake faults under it. My Mom recalled an earthquake in the 30's when the trees were touching the ground on either side. LA is scheduled some day to be as far north as San Francisco is now.

el caminero

Blackhawk
A lot of people have been predicting a lot of events, disasters, 'comings of", climate events that are toxic/deadly and "end of the world" for thousands of years but almost none of it has ever happened or come true! I don't discount people's beliefs but "It ain't over till it's over"! I'm still watchin' and looking for the big sign! Until then, enjoy as much of life as you can!
I offten take the mario andretti approach to life; try not to rub wheels or swap paint, be ready for the opportunity, take no outrageous chances, but sit back far enough to weave thru the wreckage to the finish line. We are resilient, is humanity; the world has been warming for many thousands of years since the peak of the most recent ice age, and we have thrived, and entitled encapsulated city people have evolved to fear change and make noise about things. Loud noises. Many things. The country is tough, too, even if it seems all we hear (i.e. all the noise thats fit to broadcast) is from the natterring nabobs of negativity. Keep on keeping on!

el caminero

Blackhawk
For the ex-pat Californiios!!!!!

Just skimmed past some bit about a flooded forest off the oregon coast, stumps standing just off the beach because of a lil bit of a tectonic shift, are about 2,000 years old...

Scientists have no idea when/if the next quake will happen. But some freely admit that we could have the big one then have an even bigger one a short time later.

There's nothing you can do about it except hope you survive. Because if you do survive the quake you'll be fine. Unless the tsunami gets you. Or a meteor just happens to land on your house.

el caminero

Blackhawk
Scientists have no idea when/if the next quake will happen. But some freely admit that we could have the big one then have an even bigger one a short time later.

There's nothing you can do about it except hope you survive. Because if you do survive the quake you'll be fine. Unless the tsunami gets you. Or a meteor just happens to land on your house.
Read Lucifer's Hammer?

BearBiologist

Hunter
As Jeff Foxworthy said, you know you're from the PNW when you can point to at least one active volcano on a cloudy day (I've got at least two on a clear day!).

Talked to a USGS geologist one time and he said if Rainier blew, Seattle had about 20 minutes to get to safety before the lahars (mudflows) hit!

As Jeff Foxworthy said, you know you're from the PNW when you can point to at least one active volcano on a cloudy day (I've got at least two on a clear day!).

Talked to a USGS geologist one time and he said if Rainier blew, Seattle had about 20 minutes to get to safety before the lahars (mudflows) hit!
yep, that is a big mountain.... wife and I got to visit it a few years back... cool ride up to Paradise when it is a clear and calm day... I would not want to do it in the bad weather even with tire chains. I think I have a video of it somewhere...... can't believe there was a guy on a bike doing it.

BearBiologist

Hunter
yep, that is a big mountain.... wife and I got to visit it a few years back... cool ride up to Paradise when it is a clear and calm day... I would not want to do it in the bad weather even with tire chains. I think I have a video of it somewhere...... can't believe there was a guy on a bike doing it.

Been there a few times, even with snow (no chains, just a Toyota 4WD) - but we live in the Cascades!

ex13F

Bearcat
This hangs on the wall right behind where I'm sitting. Kinda my viewpoint also. I had to X out a word to keep it within forum standards.

Al is right.jpg

el caminero

Blackhawk
Actually one of my favorite books. I've read it many times. In a real world most of those outside the valley would never have made it there.

Oh, and the wheel track on a suburban does not match the distance between the rails of an American standard gauge rail line.
My railroadman father, said it works, on the inboard sidewall of a fat enough tire with the right offset, but a few miles will destroy the tire. Timmyboy (and it was a blazer, not a sub) (randall had the travelall) went rather farther than that!

Last edited:
The "Prepper" movement went from a few to millions within years, to the point where we now see ads for prepper products on mainstream media.

1) Up until about ten years ago the weather weenies weren't predicting possible power outages with every thunderstorm. The grid was originally designed for 1/3 the current population and 1/5 the usage. Yes, there have been upgrades, but only where there have already been failures and in major population centers. However, despite what that idiot Dennis Quaid said on Tucker's podcast, if the grid goes down 90% of folks will probably be fine- for at least awhile...

2) Thanks to our own stupidity and greed we will be running out of water at some point. Only 0.7% of all of the planet's water is both accessible and potable. Look at the Southwest. They are ripping out turf to conserve water, Mead and Tahoe are both dropping to scary levels, as will the Colorado River soon enough. There are VERY stringent water laws in place there. The prediction is that in 10 years or so about 1/3 of the planet's population will not have enough water.

3) The dollar is on the verge of being tossed as the World Reserve prime currency. Got gold, silver, and copper?

4) There's always a good shot at another pandemic, especially with both over-population and quick travel.

5) The possibility of civil unrest is certainly a possibility lately ( Though I think at this point there is a lot of burnout on the subject.)

Earthquake of mass destruction? Pretty far down on the list.

Last edited:

Latest posts