Who shoots Black Powder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Old and grumpy

Single-Sixer
Rodgers & Spencer Wish I still had it. Bottom -- North American Arms Super Companion .22 Cap&Ball.
Rogers & Spencer 014.JPG
Rogers & Spencer 005.JPG
R&S+ DOG 009.JPG
R&S holster 002.JPG

jdavis

Single-Sixer
I have been shooting charcoal burners for years. I've built several kit rifles over the years and have been pleased with the way they have performed. My revolvers are Colt "open top" as I prefer them the the Remington style. I think that the 1860 model is perhaps the prettiest of the bunch. Revolvers are much more complex to clean than long guns but both are worth the effort. I have no experience with modern in-line rifles and it is unlikely that I will. I think that black powder shooting should be done with traditional period weapons but, to each his own.
This is a Traditions .36 caliber Crocket rifle that I built several years ago.
IMG_0456.jpeg

Last edited:
Like me some BP firearms!
Ruger 77-50.png

Ruger 77/50
$495.00ab.jpg

Colt 2nd gen Pocket Police
DSC00593.JPG

Some Old Armies
DSC00594.JPG

#48 & 49 of 100 Talo Ruger Horse Pistols
DSC01237a.jpg

Old Army with fluted cylinder
DSC01446.JPG

Colt 2nd gen Stainless 1860
$456.99d.jpg

Colt 2nd gen 1851 Navy
$595.00.jpg

Colt 2nd gen 1860 Army
DSC00424 - Copy.JPG

And sadly two 1851 Navies converted to one .22 cal. :eek: Barrel and frame different serial numbers and on Colt's serial number website.

Rclark

Hunter
I do. Not a lot, but some. No rifles/muskets yet. All revolvers from the Walker to the ultimate BP gun -- the ROA. Oh, and then in my .45 Colt cartridge guns as well :) . Also a 12 Gauge twin barrel coach gun where I use brass shells.

Here is one of my ROAs that I shoot the most and of course the Walker and Model P.

Attachments

• OldArmry_1.jpg
    OldArmry_1.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 15
  • walkerAndModelP_800.jpg
    walkerAndModelP_800.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

caryc

Hawkeye
These are the only two BP revolvers I have. Believe it or not, I have never fired either one. I purchased the Old Army from a job mate many years ago. I bought the Lematt brand new from a gun store many years ago also. That Lematt is just to pretty to shoot and mess up with black powder.

LEMAT1.jpg

LEMATTT.jpg

oldarmy.jpg

It's an 1858 Remington. It's a solid and great shooter. The Pepperbox is a point fire novelty.
Oh, sorry about the mistake. I saw all the brass on the frame and called it wrong. I now see that the top strap is heavier than the S&B.
Also, I have a Remington army, too and yes, they are built like tanks and shoot nicely.
Enjoy....

MaxMan

Single-Sixer
These are the only two BP revolvers I have. Believe it or not, I have never fired either one. I purchased the Old Army from a job mate many years ago. I bought the Lematt brand new from a gun store many years ago also. That Lematt is just to pretty to shoot and mess up with black powder.
Ke Matts are cool!

caryc

Hawkeye
Ke Matts are cool!
There was a western show that I can't remember right now but, the star used a Lematt for fast draw. Anyone that has ever held one for himself would quickly realize how stupid that was. It is built like a tank and weighs like a tank. It almost takes two hands to cock that great big hammer all the way back.

My first gun was a .44 CVA pistol kit, my Dad and I built. Then my first rifle was a .50 cal TC Renegade. Then I inherited my fathers .50 cal TC Hawkin and his ROA. I bought 2 .50 Cal Traditions pistols to go with the rifles and a Philadelphia Deringer to go with the .44 CVA. I plan on giving each one of my kids a set.