Who is this guy?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

caryc

Hawkeye
v2Um2M4.jpg

Give up? It's Elvis Presley. Caught an old movie on Roku called Charo. Presley was not very recognizable with that scruffy beard and he never removed his hat so you could see his hair. The first time I saw him, I didn't recognize him until he spoke. He will always be the King when it comes to music but, I have to admit, he stunk as an actor. This movie affirmed that. I had never seen this movie before.

Anyway, in this movie some bad guys stole a civil war type cannon and were terrorizing a town. They loaded the cannon with a powder sack then a ball and just for the heck of it, they threw in a 3 stick bundle of dynamite with a lit fuse just before they touched off the cannon. They did this a few times. My question is would not the concussion of the cannon cause the dynamite to blow in the cannon barrel instead of flying out of the cannon and exploding at the intended target?

KIR

Blackhawk
Best Elvis movie was King Creole where he played a singer, rather than a boxer. The movie was taken from Harold Robbin's A Stone for Danny Fisher. Carolyn Jones was great in it!

caryc

Hawkeye
I didn't mean all Elvis movies were bad. I just meant that he himself was a lousy actor. He just overacted too much especially with that sneer when he was trying to be bad. As a concert and stage entertainer, I don't think anyone could top him in his day.

the_leper_colony

Single-Sixer
...He will always be the King when it comes to music but, I have to admit, he stunk as an actor...

...My question is would not the concussion of the cannon cause the dynamite to blow in the cannon barrel instead of flying out of the cannon and exploding at the intended target?

He may have stunk as an actor, but a friend who is an Elvis fan has told me (repeatedly ;>) that Elvis was paid a million bucks per film, which apparently made him the highest paid actor in Hollywood at the time.

As for the dynamite question, some explosives that come in sticks are pretty stable (& might therefore survive being launched from a cannon), but you would have to wonder whether the fuse shown in the movie would still work.

As always, IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc...

caryc

Hawkeye
Wasn't Charo that blonde girl that liked to share her derrière?
Charo was that blonde girl that was a superb artist at Flamenco guitar. Most people only know her as the hootchie coothcie girl but she was a superb musician. Look for her on Youtube, you'll be surprised.

caryc

Hawkeye
He may have stunk as an actor, but a friend who is an Elvis fan has told me (repeatedly ;>) that Elvis was paid a million bucks per film, which apparently made him the highest paid actor in Hollywood at the time.

As for the dynamite question, some explosives that come in sticks are pretty stable (& might therefore survive being launched from a cannon), but you would have to wonder whether the fuse shown in the movie would still work.

As always, IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc...
Elvis had the draw from his music not from his acting. He also had all those goofy teenage girls that thought he was god. He was not paid for his superb acting skills. He also sang in a lot of those movies. Myself, I loved Elvis but don't try to tell me he was an actor.

By the way, you should change being launched from a cannon to being blown out of a cannon. You can launch something with a rubber band.

the_leper_colony

Single-Sixer
...Myself, I loved Elvis but don't try to tell me he was an actor.

By the way, you should change being launched from a cannon to being blown out of a cannon. You can launch something with a rubber band.

I was suggesting that he was a highly paid actor, not that he was a highly talented actor. And FWIW, I will also note that you can 'blow something out of a cannon' with compressed air, or maybe even a firehose...
:)

Joe Chartreuse

Single-Sixer
Best Elvis movie was King Creole where he played a singer, rather than a boxer. The movie was taken from Harold Robbin's A Stone for Danny Fisher. Carolyn Jones was great in it!
Absolutely agree. Funny thing- I'm the only person I know that ever sang King Creole at any of my Karaoke shows.

caryc

Hawkeye
I was suggesting that he was a highly paid actor, not that he was a highly talented actor. And FWIW, I will also note that you can 'blow something out of a cannon' with compressed air, or maybe even a firehose...
:)
Yeah ok, I guess one launches bullets out of a single action six gun.