Who hunts with a 250 savage

Help Support Ruger Forum:

horseshoe

Single-Sixer
I just bought a 250 savage 77R serial # 70-30xxx and although I have owned several 250's in the past I have never shot a deer or loaded for one. I was wanting to know how many members own and shoot a 250 and if they have any load recommendations for this little gem. I plan to keep this one if it will shoot good.

regards
Horseshoe

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
That is an awful low number for a .250 Savage. The very few Flatbolt .250 Savages that I am familiar with are in the 70-9XXXX to 71-0XXXX. Is yours a Flatbolt?
It certainly is possible that that receiver could have laid around for 3-4 years before getting assembled and shipped.
But on your question, I talked my Father into buying one of these in 1976.
They are fine rifles; my youngest son shot his second deer with it.
I have always wanted a Flatbolt .250, just never had one come my way!
I suspect it will shoot fine and Factory ammo works just great on Texas whitetails.

cowboy77845

Bearcat
I shoot factory loads in my Savage 99A. It shoots Remington 100 grainers way better than Winchesters. Surprised me. I figured it would shot both reasonably well. I hope my Ruger RSI shoots Winchester because I have lots of them. I carry my 250 on my UTV for hogs and cyotes at the ranch. So far I have accounted for one of each. Hog was hit at about 150 yds on the run. My shots are all under 200 yds so the 250 is perfect for that. Have not had a shot at deer yet. Minimal felt recoil which makes it a joy to shoot. Since it looks like 250 is a seasonal thing, you best buy a bunch when they come out. If you pick your shots, it should be great for deer.

horseshoe

Single-Sixer
El Numero Uno

You are correct Sir. I was thinking of my flatbolt in 350 Mag when I stated thje serial. The 250 Sav is #71-30xxx instead of a 70 like I stated. Thanks for keeping me straight. I took it to the range today and shooting a 100 grain nosler balistic tip ahead of a healthy dose of Imr 4320 it shot the first three shots into about 3/4 to a inch at a 100 yards so I put it back in the truck. Accurate guns aren't any fun. I shot my 350 flatbolt 77RS today for the 1st time since putting a different scope on it and with a 200 sp hornady and ww 748 it shot a 3/4 inch group. Both the rugers are keepers.

Horseshoe

mcknight77

Blackhawk
I have a flatbolt 77RS in .250Savage that I've had since 1978. I've never shot anything with it but paper, however my wife has killed several deer and Pronghorn with it over the years. It's MOA or better with about every load I've shot in it. I usually shoot Nosler 100gr Partitions at game loaded over W760 powder.

As you do, I also shoot W748 in my .350RemMag flatbolt.

picketpin

Buckeye
My son has a 77RL MKI and a 77MKI in 250 Savage. I bought him the RL and stuck a Leupold 6x on it as his first deer rifle when he was 12 years old.

He is now 31. He has hunted with it almost exclusively for everything from mule deer on down, including sheep, goat, and a LOT ofantelope(pronghorn).

The load that works for his is a 100 grain Nosler, either the Partition or Balistic Tip at 2800+ fps. The load is 36 grains of IMR 4320.

Surprisingly it shoots sub MOA with that whippy little barrel.

RWT

Lloyd Smale

Blackhawk
Ive got 4 of them and when i rifle hunt there used more then any other caliber. Ive had good luck with sierra 100s and 117s and nosler bt 100s. The kids gun is a win lightweight carbine and its a 1in14 twist barrel and does much better with sierra 87s and hes killed many deer with them. In my rsi i use the old nosler solid base 120s at about 2500 fps and believe it or not they kill deer like theres no tommarow. That gun got the nickname of thumper at camp and just about everyone at camp has shot deer with that gun and load.

257Bob

Bearcat
I have two of them, a Winchester Model 54 and a Ruger Ultralight. The M54 shoots 100gn Remingtons over H4350 and the Ultralight gets a 100gn Ballistic Tip or Hornady over H4350. Mine get used on pigs and the odd fox. Great little cartridge.

SD Handgunner

Bearcat
I used the .250 Savage in a 14" T/C Contender with an SSK Industries Barrel several years ago. I shot a nice 4x4 Whitetail Buck at about 225 yards with it using 100gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips loaded with H-322. Bullet performance was perfect. A buddy used the same gun-n-load to take a big Whitetail Doe with good results also.

I also used the same Contender in .250 Savage on a couple Prairie Dog Shoots using 75gr. Hornady Hollow Points loaded with W-748 with excellent results.

The .250 Savage is a really neat cartridge. Easy to load for and quite accurate.

Larry

A

Anonymous

horseshoe":30mcp3ez said:
I was wanting to know how many members own and shoot a 250 and if they have any load recommendations for this little gem.
I posted this a few weeks ago in Heliman's thread:
Jackie Treehorn":30mcp3ez said:
I don't have a M77 in .250-3000, but I do have a Savage 99EG and a Remington 700 in that caliber. Both rifles seem to do well with a Hornady 100 grain SP over 33.5 grains Re-15 in Remington brass and a WLR primer and the same Hornady over 34.0 grains of Varget in Winchester brass with the same WLR primer. Both are seated to an OAL of 2.515" and chrono 2809 FPS and 2833 FPS, respectively. Accuracy is right at 1 MOA with the Savage and under 1 MOA in the Model 700.
I actually prefer Varget over Re-15 in my loads.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
I've owned a Savage 99 and Ruger RSI in .250 and loved
them both. Every Deer I shot dropped on the spot.
Wish I had them both back! :( Great caliber!!
Best wish's with yours.
Terry

Fred M

Bearcat
I hunt with a wildcat based on the 250 Savage this is a fine cartridge. It was actually designed for Hunter Benchrest. I have two rifles in that caliber an HBR with a 1-12" twist and a Rem 700 SA with a 10" twist.

I have taken 28 animals with 34 shots. The misses were usually caused by the bullet hitting grass or twigs.

100gr Moly bullets will do 3150ft with the 25 Hunter. I nerver thought of being under gunned with the 25 Hunter.

casecompare.jpg

The group below was stot with the Rem 700 hunting rifle.
25huntgroup3.jpg

Below is the 25 Hunter HBR. Kelbly Kodiak actiom left Port, right bolt.

25hunter2.jpg

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
I HAD an UltraLite 77R I purchased in 1983. Reamed it to Ackley Improved then sold it [stupid move].
I've since barrelled a Ruger 77 Mark II stainless to .250 Savage Ackley Improved. Shoots 100 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips into 3/8" @ 100 yards. It has a 24" Shilen chrome moly barrel that I fitted/chambered because a friend had the Shilen blank and for $75 I decided I could 'bear' a chrome moly instead of stainless as I would have purchased. The Shilen is now matt blued and looks fine. I thought I might cut the barrel to 22" from 24" but somehow hate to 'fix' what 'ain't broke'.
I also found two Ruger 77Rs in .250 Savage, one a Liberty version, for my two sons now 29 and 33 years old. They sit in my safe so I guess they are kinda like 'mine' for now! I have left their rifles in standard form since it works great as is. I purchased about 12 boxes of Winchester factory ammo when a local shop went out of business, even though I can make ammo from other brass [22-250 cases].
Love the caliber, love the rifles. Not for sale while I'm alive.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I'm a big fan of the .25 cal, I have several .25/06s and hunt with them every season. I have lots of calibers, and when I take a friend hunting for the first time, they use one of my .25/06s and all of them have been very successful. The .250 Savage is a great short range caliber, and probably would be very useful out here, but the .25/06 is extremely popular.

I was searching for a used one for a project/gift and it took me several months, people will get rid of .270s and .30-06s, because they are easily replaceable, but not the .25/06 even though every manufacturer makes a few rifles in that caliber.

willieboy

Bearcat
I also really like the 250-3000 cartridge and the 300 Savage as well. Two mighty fine cartidges. Mine are both vintage Savage model 99's but I always thought a #1 in either cartridge would be the cat's meow. Especially a #1 A/B version to go with my #1 A/B .270 8)