Who Has The New 45ACP Redhawk??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LubeckTech

Bearcat
I don't have one yet would love to hear from anyone who does. Hopefully I will have one within the next couple of weeks and am looking for advice and sources for grips and moon clips. So far TK Custom seems to be the only source for Moon Clips but I have not checked around yet. What about grips?? Anyone worked on the trigger? From what I hear some of the hammer springs Wolff offers can improve the trigger and still provide reliability so if anyone has worked with their trigger I would like to hear about it. I love revolvers and collect guns of all types - my main role for this revolver will be IDPA, USPSA and ICORE style competition if I can get it where I want it. If not it will always be fun to shoot and interesting to own.

tinman

Buckeye
If your talkin about the RH convertible (45LC/45ACP)....I have one. I have less than 50 rounds thru it so far because I injured my shootin hand. I am trying to let it heal up so I don't wanna aggravate it unnecessarily. Trigger seems ok so far but this is a woods gun for me so I ain't one to mess with what ain't broke. From what I gather the Ruger moons are the only ones available so far. They are unique to this gun so I did order some extras from Ruger. 8)

DPris

Buckeye
Have two here.
They use Ruger-only clips. Ruger sells a 3-pak for $15. Smith clips will not fit.

The triggers are heavy, the SA pull can be lightened somewhat but not a whole lot you can do with the Redhawk DA pull.

At the moment, no aftermarket grips to fit the roundbutt gripframe.

ACP accuracy can range from decent to lousy, depending on the load.
Very heavy .45 Colt ammunition is fairly painful, with the small grip area.
If you want a detailed look, there's a Kindle book for $3 you can acquire through Amazon.com.
Denis

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I have one also. I bought 9 extra moon clips from shopruger.com.
In .45Colt, mine really likes the Lyman 255 gr. Keith cast bullet. In the ACP case I have had good results using the RCBS 45-230-CA 230 gr cast bullet over 5 -5 1/2 gr.
Red Dot.Jacketed bullets shoot good in either the ACP or Colt loads. ACP loads generally shoot a little low and right for me. Probably that is just me. YMMV

DPris

Buckeye
At $7.40 per, pricier than Ruger's 3 for $15.
Unless my math's way off. :)
Denis

RonSwanson

Bearcat
My very first post on this forum, except for the introduction post.

I have the Redhawk .45 Colt/.45 ACP, and got one with a pretty decent trigger. It is better than a Smith 629 I have and not quite the equal to a couple of Model 65's in pull weight, but it is nice and smooth.

The grips are indeed small if you have sizeable hands, and Ruger and Hogue do not offer larger grips at this time.
My current solution is a Tyler T-Grip. Their #8 size fits nicely. Mine was received 10 days from the time I mailed the order.

I have not been able to get to the range since I installed the T-grip, so my only experience with it so far is dry-firing and it seems to help considerably in handling. I will know a lot more after this weekend.

LubeckTech

Bearcat
I now have one coming and it should be here early next week - $835 shipped.. Wolff spring assortment on the way from Midway too - from what I've been reading I will probably use the #14 spring. Have been considering the T-Grip and might be able to get Harrett to make a grip but would probably have a local guy do it instead. I have medium hands so don't need a big grip and the T-Grip might fill it out enough to where it is comfortable until other grip options become available. I will also start looking for a fiber optic front sight too.

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
I've had one of the 45 ACP/45 Colt Redhawks for a few weeks now and have fired 70 to 80 rounds through it. In my limited experience, the gun shoots very well. The felt recoil seems to be a lot less than the recoil from my (45 ACP) 625 Mountain Gun. The trigger pull is smooth and fairly light. There doesn't seem to be any reason to change it. The stock grips fit my hand very well and I probably won't be changing them. The grip to frame fit is OK but could be a bit better. I bought a few packs of moon clips from Ruger. They work well. I'll buy more if the price comes down a bit. I replaced the front sight with a red fiber optic sight. I can see this much better than the red ramp. Overall, I really like this gun.

Thel

Blackhawk
"Have been considering the T-Grip and might be able to get Harrett to make a grip but would probably have a local guy do it instead. I have medium hands so don't need a big grip and the T-Grip might fill it out enough to where it is comfortable until other grip options become available. "

Although the Redhawk was a square butt I had Herrett make a Roper grip for it which worked quite well as my hands are about 9.5 size for gloves with short fingers. That is the style they recommended after sending a hand tracing to them. I had a Hogue on it previously which was too large for my hand when shooting double action. I recently ordered another Hogue this time supposedly made to my hand size. I sent them a hand tracing and that cost $35 extra. Perhaps they will come out with a round butt for it. Probably the most likely source will be one of the Thai grip makers that sells on Ebay.

It seems we have a number of custom grip makers for single actions and the more common double actions but not Ruger double actions which is unfortunate. Only one I could think of is Roy Fishpaw and I don't know if he retired or not.

DPris

Buckeye
I think he's mostly retired now.
He did a set for a Red some years ago that I was not real happy with.
Most like his work.
Denis

jeffer

Bearcat
I have one and is on its way back to Ruger for some fix in as acp accuracy was lousy.

DPris

Buckeye
The first sample I got was un-good with most ACP loads.
Discussed with Ruger.
Second sample has tighter chambers, slightly different forcing cone, shot slightly better with same loads.

This is why I say it may take some experimentation for best results in that caliber, in that model.
Denis