who has the highviz sight on their sr9?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

supernac

Bearcat
I have one, installed it myself. I would take it to a gunsmith if I had to do it again.

P1868

Bearcat
I have one (red). Let a gunsmith put it on. If you do a search for my posts, you can see pics I put up. BTW I like it and it fits into my SERPA and Fobus holsters very well, with no probs.

sparks701

Bearcat
I've got a green one, easy to pick up outside but at the dim indoor range seems to be about the same as the stock sight. I had a gunsmith put it on and he said there was more fitting than he expected from a product that was supposed to be for that gun. After using the green I think the red might be easier to see indoors, at least the red sight I have on my MKII is brighter.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I have one with the red light pipe and it has made the sight far easier to pick-up in any kind of light.

I installed it also and the job isn't difficult.

1.Remove the slide and take out the recoil spring and barrel.

2.Clamp the slide in a well padded vise being sure the area near the front sight is well supported. Then drive out the factory sight with a brass drift and hammer. It will take some force as these things are in tight. I drove the sight out from left to right since that's the way I've always seen it recommended. Does it matter? I don't know.

3. Try fitting the new sight in the dovetail. It will probably be too large. File the edge of the sight's dovetail with a flat file very gradually until you can insert the sight about 1/4 of the way into the slide's dovetail by hand. Using a micrometer to measure the factory sight's dovetail width and filing the new sight to close to that width is a very helpful guide. When it goes in partially by hand, drive it in to the center with the brass drift and hammer. Be careful not to let the drift slip and bend the sight blade or break the light pipe. Done.

BTW. DO NOT file the dovetail in the slide to get the sight to fit. File ONLY on the new sight.

I have a Hiviz on a P89 and like it. It doesn't flare too much for day shooting and in subdued light, makes it much easier to index the front sight. I installed it w/o much trouble. It requires some proper sized punches.

sparks701

Bearcat
ggallin":ojvgcggg said:
just out or curiosity, how much would average install cost?
The gunsmith that did mine charged $50. That is the standard price at my LGS for "most" installations.