Who else has don this?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Fallen

Bearcat
I just got a brand new 10/22 Target Tactical. And as soon as I got it, I couldn't wait to take it out plinking. So I took it out and pushed about 150rounds through it.

...then later while browsing around online about 10/22 I read somewhere that its important to clean the barrel of a 10/22 prior to firing it. Due to some sort of protective coating on the inside of the barrel to provent rust.

I was wondering if anyone knows this to be true? Does it also apply to the Ruger bull barrels, like the one I have? And if you do fire a 10/22 before cleaning the how hard is it to clean it and get it right?

I think it's a real good idea to take a brand-new gun home, read the manual and perform the recommended field strip, followed by a basic clean-and-lube. Gives you a little familiarity with the piece as well as getting rid of any leftover machining bits and other potential crud.

JMHO

:)

Black Frog

Single-Sixer
It applies to most any gun, and any barrel.

Most companies put cosmoline, or some temporary surface anti-corrosion coating on the metal surfaces. That allows the firearm to be in the box indefinitely and not rust or corrode.

Good idea to give *any* gun a thorough cleaning before firing.

308dave

Bearcat
I did it with my 6.8 Ranch and it was inaccurate as could be - I let myself get too anxious to try it out and I neglected to clean the barrel first. After a thorough cleaning it settled down nicely and shoots minute of deer at 100 yds.

Fallen

Bearcat
Thanks for the info. Like a kid on Christmas, I got a lil ahead of myself and couldn't wait to take it out shooting. I'll be sure to give it a good once over.

snakespit

Bearcat
I took my MKIII hunter from the counter to the range and put 400+ rounds through it. No damage done that I can tell. 8)

Bozack

Single-Sixer
Ale-8(1)":390lvudt said:
I think it's a real good idea to take a brand-new gun home, read the manual and perform the recommended field strip, followed by a basic clean-and-lube. Gives you a little familiarity with the piece as well as getting rid of any leftover machining bits and other potential crud.

JMHO

:)

I totally agree.

Divernhunter

Single-Sixer
Best to at least run a bore snake thru a new barrel for safety sake to avoid any bore blockage before shooting. Actually I usually run a bore snake thru my firearms new or not before shooting at the range each time to remove any extra oil or anything in the barrel.

I've only bought 3 guns brand new... all three were Rugers. A PC9 carbine, MKIII pistol and the Charger (what ever that is), I didn't clean any of them before shooting... then again I did check each to make sure the barrel was clear.

Heck I've got a Remington 22 rifle book that says you don't have to clean the barrel.... ever.