Who didn't have a Ruger 10/22 while growing up?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rug357

Bearcat
While growing up in the 70's most of my cousins and I all had a Ruger 10/22 rifle. Most of our friends had one too. My brother had a Browning 22 Auto but he was always an odd-ball. I believe the local Woolworth store was selling the standard model for $69 or the Delux model for $109 in those days (a box of Federal, Winchester or Remington ammo was $0.59). We usually got it for birthday or Christmas around the time we were about 13 y/o. I got mine from my parents for my 13th birthday... and I still have it. Over the years I think I've owned 8 or 9 different ones and usually have two or three in the safe at all times. I plan on giving mine to my son when he turns 13.

So, who else had one growing up?

mattsbox99

Hunter
If you could wear one out, I would have. I think I may honestly be in the millions of rimfire rounds fired. I grew up on an 80 section cattle and sheep ranch here and ventilated an entire prairie dog town with mine.

I really have no idea how many rounds I shot as a kid, bricks were under $10 and I know I shot at least 2 a week. I'm reasonably confident that when we came to town, we bought a case every time.

I still have that gun, its pretty rough but it still shoots great. I have some newer ones and some tricked out ones now and they are all reliable and accurate. A 10/22 would be the ultimate survival rifle. It would never need parts and if it did, you could probably still find them.

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
I didn't have one. As a matter of fact, I didn't have a 22 rifle. My mother was scared to death of rifles. She was convinced that you would kill someone on the other side of the county with a rifle. Shotguns were OK, but not a rifle.

Then when I got grown and out on my own I just didn't want a 10/22. I thought they were rather boring looking little 22 rifles. Kinda small, almost like a BB gun. I wanted a Marlin 39a. Cost about twice what a 10/22 did even then. I got one and just knew that was all the 22 rifle I'd ever need. I was right about that really.

I didn't want a 10/22 until I saw the WWS at Wal-Mart one day in 2006 I guess. Now that looked like a RIFLE. So I got the WWS for my wife. I liked it too, so I looked for one from myself and the rest is history.

I do wish I'd gotten one of those "international" 10/22 I used to see at Wal-Mart "back in the day."

Snake45

Hawkeye
I didn't have one as a kid. Didn't get my first one till I was over 30, in fact.

I guess I'm and odd duck, too, as I grew up with just my J.C. Higgins, single shot. And, when I got that, 10/22's were not even made, yet. My first 10/22 was as a young adult, after I left the Army. My first .22 Ruger was actually a Standard Auto, while I was still in the Army, in the early seventies.

WAYNO.

slowrider

Single-Sixer
Nope, I had a Rem 550. That was 45 yrs ago and it had some age on it when I received it. It's still a fine shooter. I was 10 yrs older than my brother and when he got old enough to shoot I gave him the 550 and bought myself a 10/22. We still have both guns.

I didn't have one, because they were still twenty years or more in the future at the time.

Still have my Mossberg bolt-action though. Dad was another of those "no automatics" guys. Upon reflection, I believe he was right.

:)

djw54

Single-Sixer
Me. Folks (Mom) wouldn't approve of so much as a cap gun. I had some anyway.

Making up for it now. :twisted:

Snake45

Hawkeye
djw54":2ijzkfhj said:
Me. Folks (Mom) wouldn't approve of so much as a cap gun. I had some anyway.

Making up for it now. :twisted:
I can relate, Mah Brothah. :wink:

SamV

Buckeye
I didn't have one. My best friend did, and I was a little envious. My parents were not anti-gun, as a matter of fact, they taught us to shoot. But we were city dwellers and not the outdoor type. My first .22 came when I was in my early forties! I almost bought a 10/22 several years ago, but purchased a Thompson Center Classic instead. I liked the wood and the finish better. I suppose I still need a 10/22 though.

bham shooter

Bearcat
Hi all. New member here. Usually post over on the G&A forums under the same name, so if any of y'all in addition to Phil are over here, let me know.

I am going to get a 10-22 very shortly. Just need to make the drive over to the LGS to cash in a gift certificate and pay the rest. I'm a few months shy of 29, and the only 'gun' I had growing up was a pellet handgun my Mom got me for Christmas one year when I was 12 or 13. She said it just wasn't right for a boy to grow up without having a bb gun.

First gun was a .38 snub revolver, that my father in law got for my wife. That was about 4.5 years ago. Had a Ruger P95 before I traded it for an XD. Now I have a few, including my LCP that I got last summer. So I didn't really grow up with guns. I was around them some with my parents both having one, and my various uncles and grandfathers. But I never had any of my own until I was out of college.

96/44

Blackhawk
I didn't have one, I had a cheap Daisy .22 that they made for a few years in the 80's. I drooled over the Rugers and Marlins that my friends had, but I finally got my own 10/22 two years ago. Now all the cool kids won't make fun of me at the range anymore.

jimd441

Blackhawk
I didn't have one. I had a single shot as a youth. I acquired my first 1022 last Spring at age 55 :D

Jim

5Wire

Single-Sixer
I didn't have one. I had a Mossberg 46M (bolt) my dad gave me when I was 15 over 50 years ago. I still have it and it still shoots very accurately.

Tweety Bird

Single-Sixer
Mine was an Ithaca model 49 saddle gun, the 22LR single-shot. I put thousands of rounds through that thing.

Just got my first 10-22 a couple weeks ago and have been gone so much I haven't had much chance to shoot it.