Who didn't have a Ruger 10/22 while growing up?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KEN TN

Bearcat
JC HIggins Semi Auto was my first. no 10/22 back then.
1st 10/22 was in 1980's, sold it to get a stainless one.
I have 3 of the Wal Mart Limited Editions, Stainless Carbine with Black Laminate stock, Stainless with Black Laminated International Model, and their hardwood stocked stainless 22" model.

I also have a Charger and a custom built Target model. Yep they too have Black Laminate stocks, Kind a of theme in the safe...They match the Limited Wal Mart Stainless Ranch Rifle with you guessed it Black Laminate stock.

toysoldier

Hunter
I learned to shoot my Dad's Remington Model 12, best pump .22 ever made. Little sister claimed it after Dad passed, but I've picked up two 12's and a 121 recently :) . Dad bought me a single-shot with scope at Coast to Coast hardware, probably a Nobel. Sold it in college, but got one just like it with my second wife.
I don't have a 10/22, and won't unless Ruger makes a lefty model. Till then, I'll enjoy my Norinco copy of Browning's bottom-shucker.

toysoldier

Hunter
CanonLyles":rgc6d2t5 said:
toysoldier":rgc6d2t5 said:
I learned to shoot my Dad's Remington Model 12, best pump .22 ever made.

I'm gonna debate that. I'm sticking with the 572. LOL

That rattling pile of stamped parts? It can't begin to match the smooth operation of a machined-steel Model 12/121! Even Norinco couldn't reproduce it for less than $400 today.

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
No sir, no sir. It's aluminium. And, I could fix the rattle if I would get the action bar bushing in the forestock fixed. LOL It's loose in the wood. The new ones retail for $500-600. It's based off the 870 (supposedly, kinda is), and been made for 55 years. Longer than both the 12 and 121 combined. But, I would love to handle those older models too

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Snake45":3tb7332r said:
I didn't have one as a kid. Didn't get my first one till I was over 30, in fact.

Hi,

Same here...

Shot my father's old bolt action Springfield until I saved enough money for a Remington Nylon 66 when I was about 15 or so...

Rick C

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
My father was a gun nut like me. I grew up fooling with guns and trading guns. I have probably had 100 10/22's through the years and always had one hanging around but was never really impressed until about 10 years ago when they came out with the .920 bbls. I went to the local gun shop and bought 3 brand new 10/22's and came home and ordered 3 new .920 bbl's in different lengths and removed the original bbl's and stocks and waited for the new bbls to come in when they arrived I put them together and went out and shot all three to see which was the most accurate. It turned out to be a 24" bbl that shot the best. I got rid of the others and kept the 24" and shot it to death. Then one day I decided to hunt with it. I put a sling on it and went to the woods. The bbl was so heavy it wouldn't stay on my shoulder. So I came home and cut the bbl to 16 1/4" and recrowned it. The gun is still a super shooting rifle and will stay put on your shoulder with the sling on it. I will own this rifle when I die. It is the best shooting little 22 I have ever owned in a auto and has been shot more than any other gun I have ever owned and is the most dependable rifle I have ever seen. I shoot cheap bulk ammo in it and it is a awesome gun.

sebtool

Blackhawk
Snake45":ng76kr2n said:
djw54":ng76kr2n said:
Me. Folks (Mom) wouldn't approve of so much as a cap gun. I had some anyway.

Making up for it now. :twisted:
I can relate, Mah Brothah. :wink:

I guess that makes us the 3 stooges :oops: Got my 10/22 from my wife the 1st Christmas we were married back in '88. I guess she's OK for a blond.... :wink: Might be the only reason I kept her, who knows... :lol:

Dad and Grandpa were hunters, but I'm the only 1 who really liked to shoot, and got into guns. Dad still has Grandpa's old model 67 Winchester single shot. He has a 12 ga semi auto, some off brand, and a Wnchester 32 Special.

My 1st gun was an old Iver Johnson 16 ga. single shot, still have it. Dad got it for $10 from my Scoutmaster, and had to give $1.50 to old Amos Witmer at the gas station to put a front bead on it. Even used it for deer hunting till I bought my 7mm mauser for $75 at the ripe old age of 17.

sebtool

Blackhawk
CanonLyles":3pp9ie8j said:
toysoldier":3pp9ie8j said:
I learned to shoot my Dad's Remington Model 12, best pump .22 ever made.

I'm gonna debate that. I'm sticking with the 572. LOL

+10! I've got 1 that shoots great, at least it did till a 'buddy' of mine shot it. 1 of those guys with arms bigger than my legs. He didn't pull the tab in front of the trigger guard before he racked the slide, busted the action bar. I need to get that fixed soon - squirrel season's coming up soon...

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
sebtool":1p5eycp3 said:
+10! I've got 1 that shoots great, at least it did till a 'buddy' of mine shot it. 1 of those guys with arms bigger than my legs. He didn't pull the tab in front of the trigger guard before he racked the slide, busted the action bar. I need to get that fixed soon - squirrel season's coming up soon...

Watch out for those big, burley guys lol. Look on GunBroker and you can probably find the parts you need.

Glassfixer

Bearcat
I was in my late thirties when I bought my first Ruger 10-22 SS Int. at Walmart for $169 . I got my first .22 when I was 12 in 1967. It was an auto loader, J.C.Higgens model 25. Shot lots and lots of squirrels and stuff. Now that I'm older and found GunBroker on the internet, I had to by one just like it to bring back the memories. I like how they made them from blued steel and wood with no plastic back then. Oh well thats my story and I sticking to it. - Glassfixer

keen one

Bearcat
I didn't get a 10/22 until I was 20. Still have it although in now wears a youth stock. My daughters call it "their rifle" I don't quite know where that notion came from???

Regardless that 10/22 is only one of many Rugers at our house.

Flash

Buckeye
My dad was a collector so I had a Remington 572, 551, 521T, Marlin 39A, Browning Semi, Browning T-Bolt..........I still have the 572. He wouldn't own a Ruger.

SD Handgunner

Bearcat
I never had one until the late '70's or so, after I had been married for a couple years. I was unimpressed with it and it didn't stick around long.

I always perferred the 77/22 (currently have two of them).

A few years ago I bought a Ruger K10/22T. Sent the trigger group out for a trigger job. I mounted up a Weaver V-16 4x16x42mm AO Riflescope but never was impressed with the accuracy so it didn't stay around too long.

About a year ago I bought a used 10/22 and spent hours tweaking it per instructions on RFC, Action Job, Trigger Job, Auto Bolt Mod and Chamfering the Bolt. I had the factory barrel shortened to 17" and recrowned (removing the front sight in the process). More recently I just put it in a Nordic Components AR-22 Aluminum Receiver Chassis Kit complete with AR-15 6 Position Collasable Buttstock, A2 Pistol Grip and Aluminum Free Float Tube. At the same time I fitted a Green Mountain Silver Aluminum Aero Barrel Shroud to the Factory Barrel I had shortened so it now looks like an 18" Stainless-Steel Bull Barrel.

Had I known how to tweak these 10/22's years ago I may well still have the two other ones I have had over the years.

Larry

SgtSam

Bearcat
Never had a handgun while growing up. My Dad didn't see any need for them. I had a single shot .22 rifle, and a 16ga SxS shotgun. My first exposure to handguns came in the military. Dad also didn't like a rifle that held more than one round.

I've tried to make sure my children all have had exposure to handguns, rifles, and shotguns. Only one of my three daughters, to date, has showed any real interest in shooting. She now has a carry permit. My son has shown a lot of interest over the years. It did him well when he went into the Corps.

Funny, I still have not owned Ruger .22 auto. Nothing against them. I've just not found one that flipped any of my switches.

But, I've had a 10/22 now for about 15 years. That would make me 50 when I got my first one. Which of course would make it pretty obvious that I couldn't have had one growing up as they didn't exist then. :D

SgtSam

Ruger wasn't even in business when I was growing up. I shot a Browning Belgian (take down semi-auto they loaded in the stock and ejected out the bottom). My drunk a-- brother managed to have it confiscated by the police after he tried to scare his equally drunk wife with it.

*RGR*

Bearcat
Have thousands of 22 rounds and always shot pistol.
Thought I buy a rifle so I went to the local gun shop and looked them over.
Saw some nice old winchesters and Remingtons and a couple of used 10/22's.
Asked what how much a new 10/22 carbine would be.
Walked out with a NIB 10/22 carbine and a Simmons 22mag 4x scope for $240.00.
Me, I"m 76

Morton Co.

Bearcat
First gun was a Marlin 39 Article II. Still have it but it looks rough, shoots like new. Shot lots of skunks, rabbits, feral cats with it. Dad though kids would shoot themselves in the foot or each other with a autoloader. Wouldnt let us have one.

Bought my first 10/22 when I was 23 (long time ago). Still have it along with a couple more. Most recently a Accusport exclusive 10/22 Light Varmit model 01237. Nice gun.