Who didn't have a Ruger 10/22 while growing up?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Randel

Bearcat
My Mama bought me a sears tube mag. bolt action 22 when I was around 12 or 13 wanted a auto but she wouldn't go for ir,said it was to dangerous! It was made by marlin and is acurate,I am 57 now and still have it :D

Scott

Single-Sixer
It was a Stevens .22/410 over & under for me - I can still impress my fellow rabbit hunters with that long barrel. I tell 'em that's because you have to be a good shot when you only get one chance per 30 seconds.

Del J

Single-Sixer
My first .22 was a Remignton 514 single shot bought in 1959. I was 14 at the time. In my younger years I did not have enough money to feed a 10/22 anyway or I would be out of ammo quickly. 10/22's did not show up until 1964, the first one I saw had price tag of $56.00. I was a wing shooter for years and shotguns were my thing. But in 1982 I won a 10/22 in a raffle. I have had several since. I still have the ammo problem, availibilty not the cash.

Bozack

Single-Sixer
I did not have one. I only had BB guns. Did not get a real rifle until I was 18. I did not get a .22 until I was in my twenties and it was a 77/22.

meanc

Single-Sixer
Put me down as not having one.

I grew up with an old Winchester 62a slide action and a Marlin 39a lever.

That 62a was the most accurate 22lr I had ever fired. At 50yds I was easily popping those old small tv transistor tubes and spark plugs. The Marlin wasn't far behind in accuracy either. Both with just iron sights.

Never saw a need for anything else.

Picked up my first 10/22 a couple of years ago for the kids and happy I did. They sure are fun.

tookalisten

Blackhawk
I did not have one either. My Dad had a Winchester auto; he only shot .22 shorts in it, open sights; this is what I learned to shoot squirrels with.
I have yet to purchase my first 10/22; but all of you have just about talked me into it.

freakindawgen

Single-Sixer
I never had one.But do know things have changed since '73.Dad bought me an old Sears single shot bolt .22 that you cocked by pulling the end of the bolt.We were on vacation and stopped in Vegas and found it at an auction in Circus Circus,bought it,transported it to Iowa,gave to me while being 13.I refinished it and cleaned it up.I remember walking it down the street to a match and getting 25 bucks for winning 2nd place.Still wouldn't mind a 10/22.

KTM

Single-Sixer
My first .22 rifle was a Winchester, model 150, lever action, that my parents bought for my sisters and me. I didn't get a Ruger 10/22 until 2007.

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
I didn't have one, but during the years when I was growing up they hadn't been introduced yet, and were still pretty new and relatively scarce later on. I had a Marlin 81DL, a great old heavy bolt gun that saw lots of use. I still have it and with it's old side mount scope it will still rival many out-of-the-box 10/22s for accuracy. I finally got a 10/22 around 1977.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
The first rifle I got to shoot was a rifle we called "Gandaddy's Gun". It was a Winchester Model 1902. A very handsome boys gun. My Grandfather learned to shoot with it when he was a child. All of my Uncles and fahter learned to shoot with it when they were growing up, and I along with my older sisters and brothers learned to shoot with it when we were growing up.

One year I was given a Remington 512-P for Christmas. The rifle was as tall as I was. That would have been the second firearm I learned to shoot.

Shortly after that I would have graduated to the Sears Single Shot 410 shotgun, that was also my fathers first shotgun.

A Few years later it was a High Standard Sentenal. Then a Marlin Papoose.

I did not get a Ruger 10/22 until I was about 20-21. I bought it because I was reading a varment hunters magazine that had an article about customizing 10/22's. At that point I knew I had to have one to customize.

Charlie

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
ME !!! I had a real gun, a MARLIN M39 MOUNTIE, and a COLT HUNTSMAN 22 pistol. Well okay, I also had a RUGER STANDARD 6" 22 that'd shoot rings around the HUNTSMAN.
I've owned two 10/22's since and did NOT like either one. My 1965 SSS 6 1/2" 22 would shoot as well as either of those two 10/22'S and had a far better trigger pull.

airedaleman

Bearcat
Christmas 1950 saw a new Winchester Model 62A under the tree. (I was 11 at that time.) Wonderful gun, wonderful memories! Rifle was stolen in 1975. Fast forward to Christmas 1965. I gave my father a new 10/22. He never liked it. (Shot it only a few times at pests...) I don't care for the 10/22 either, so it lies in its box with all its papers and a couple of contemporary magazines, waiting for my grandson to claim it. Hope he does.

I'd like to get my hands on the mouth-breather who took my Winchester.

nnero93

Bearcat
Well, I didnt grow up in a gun family. The first gun I ever bought was a 10/22 I bought when I was 18. Now I have a nice collection that started with that has been growing ever since.
CIMG1199.jpg

lovemyruger2010

Bearcat
I didn't own a 10/22 when I was a kid or now. I have a mark III target pistol that I have a lot of fun with. I have been thinking about buying a 10/22.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
I had a Winchester 74 - auto loader that fed through the stock. Great gun. Unfortunately, the firing pin broke (it was already brazed) and I haven't been able to shoot it in 20 years. :(

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, in my family,, we used a lot of "hand-me-downs." I got my brothers Sears bolt action 22 single shot as my first gun. Didn't even know Ruger existed in my youth. My first semi was a Marlin Mod 60.

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
I'm 30 and just bought it yesterday. It's been my possession for a week. I knew they were good guns, but didn't realize how tough they actually were until I got on here. My first one is a Remington 572 Fieldmaster pump. Most accurate gun I've ever shot. So, now I got my 10/22 for a brush/general plinking and a scoped 572 for any long distance varmint/tin can.

BTW, the 572 is about 50 years old.