Which to buy general purpose

Help Support Ruger Forum:

454gun

Bearcat
I had a sp101 2.25 years ago sold it, now want to get another .
I am looking at bobbed hammer or hammer style, hi vis Green or Red ( which is best color) 2.25 or 3 inch bbl. I m sure their is a thread Im new here , first post. I have a S & W 340 pd knocks your hand off. I think the LCR is a good choice also . My 2 guns on my list 101 357 and lcr ,Crimson trace maybe .
Help on thread advice would be good.

Thanks Jon

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
Opinions vary but here's mine. We now have 2 sp101's. My wife shot mine and fell in love with it so she bought herself 1 last week. I went with the standard sp101 with the regular hammer reason being 99.9% of the time I shoot single action. The guns with the bobbed hammer are doa pistols. To me the hammer spur is not a problem even when pocket carrying and removing it from my coat pocket I have made a habbit of putting my thumb on the top of the hammer when I put my hands on the gun. This way it will not hang on clothing and when it clears my pocket it will be ready with the hammer back. We both have the 2 1/4" bbls with the regular front sight. I am not fond of the high vis front sights because the fiber optic is not well enough protected and I have seen many broken and when the peace is broken they don't work anymore. I usually take testors model paint and a toothpick and paint the front sight in the serrations at the top of the sight. If the paint messes up you just brush it off and repaint it also it comes in some very bright colors that work well for me. The crimson trace grips would be nice but they are so expensive.

maxpress

Buckeye
i have had sp101s come and go but the 3" .357 is here to stay. the 2inch was ok but i didnt like the fireball and wasnt sure how much velocity i was losing. plus i just didnt hit well with it past 25yrds. this is all just prefference and i have seen people handle the shorter barrels quite well.
i wouldnt say the 3" sp101 does anything exceptionally well, but i think it does most things pretty good.

mattsbox99

Hunter
If you prefer to shoot 357s, get the SP101, if you prefer to shoot 38s, then the LCR is the way to go.

I like the fibre optic sights, I have green ones on my competition guns, but you might like red better. They still work if the filament breaks, you just have to use the sight base instead of the dot.

I don't have an LCR and only played with one. I do have the SP101 and love them. I have the 3" and it is purely a fine handgun. You dont really specify what your purpose is so I can only speculate from the choices. If you want them for CC I'd go with the LCR. If you are looking for a do everything including woods bumming the SP101 would be my choice. Either way, you would be prepared for personal defense.

454gun

Bearcat
Thanks guys for the answers . I am on the hunt for a 101 2.25 I think thats it . I will polish it I like the looks of them I don t think it hurt any thing.

Jon