Which style Blackhawk grip style for pinky under hold?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1ruger

Single-Sixer
I recently purchased a 50 Anniversary 357Mag Blackhawk from CDNN.
A great revolver for $400 OTD.

It is my first single action revolver and I'm enjoying it... except the grip. I hate the factory plastic checkered grip that came with it. I'm looking to replace the grip with the Ruger factory smooth rosewood grip since I can get 20% off the price and they look nice.

One thing that I have been thinking about is the grip shape.
Like most people, I use the pinky under the grip hold when shooting.
Factory grips have the beveled shape on the bottom but would a flat bottom grip be more comfortable? Does it even matter?

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, I have a few of the newest Rugers with that infernal lock. I too didn't care for shooting the checkered plastic. I made my own grips,, and they are flat & flush with the bottom of the frame. No need to "shorten anything,, and I'm able to still use the "under frame pinky placement."

REP1954

Blackhawk
I shoot pinky under and have rather small hands. I have tried to shoot with flat bottoms using pinky under and it just does'nt work well for me. I have gotten beveled bottom grips from grip makers before and had to increase the bottom bevel. Now heres a twist to your thread after shooting my 357 50th for four years with a set of smooth grips that were made for it I've gone back to the originals and shoot them with a pair of very thin gloves.

flatheadsal

Single-Sixer
the pinky under dosen't work with flat bottom grips for me, digs into my pinky, I have a beautiful set of real elephant ivories with flat bottoms, I need to send out to have the bottom beveled, I'm afraid to put the grinder to them myself, flathead

Rodfac

Blackhawk
I'm a pinkie under guy too and like you the factory black grips were a little thin for me. I made my own with some advice from CLC Grips.

Beveled bottoms work well for me, and I duplicated the original Ruger grips to get the angle, though mine are somewhat thicker near the top to better absorb recoil. I wear "L" size work gloves from Costco so I'd say my hands are about average or a bit more.

I made a cpl of pairs of flat bottomed grips and gave them a month's shooting here on our farm but couldn't keep a consistent grip with them as evidenced by shifting groups on target. Granted, many here use the flat bottomed grips with superb results, but they aren't my cup of tea. Most of the grip makers who've commented, as I recall, say that the bulk of their business is for flat bottomed grips however. So maybe it's just me...but it's hard to change 50 yrs of pistol pokin' experience...the old dog, new trick syndrome.

If I've learned one thing about short gun shooting over the years, it is that a consistent grip is one of the most important aspects of accurate shooting. JMHO. Here's a cpl of pics. Hard to see the grip angle in the pic but it's a duplicate of the Ruger angle. Colt grip angles seem a bit more acute to me, but I haven't made any up as yet. The upper ones are coca bolo and the lower are rosewood.
Best Regards, Rodfac
P7170405.jpg
35750thRugerJPG.jpg

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
There seems to be two types of "pinkie under": one where the pinkie is curled up flat under there like a rattlesnake (works with flat-bottoms) and one where the pinkie is first bent outwards then goes across the underside and up the other side, "hooking" the bottom of the grip frame. The latter is totally incompatible with flat-bottoms, works OK with beveled and is best with ROUND bottom grip panels.

I took the stock panels, shaved a lot of the checkering off and round-bottomed them with a dremel sanding drum. Looks kinda "meh" - I'm going to do wood grips the same way soon as I have a set of walnut blanks.

The better gripmakers should be able to do round-bottom as an option.

REP1954

Blackhawk
Hey Jim how about a picture of your grips. I like seeing your uninhibited modifacations and experiments.

1ruger

Single-Sixer
From reading replies it seems that it will be more comfortable to use a beveled grip. I use a "hooking" style as described by JimMarch1. I ordered the factory's smooth rose wood grip to try. For under $43 shipped it's worthy try.