which six shooter

Help Support Ruger Forum:

christiancowboy

Bearcat
Hi everyone ouy their. this is my second posting, I'am still a newbie. Trying to decide vaquero or blackhawk? I' am use to shooting shotguns and rifles not handguns. Caliber 357 magnum. If that helps.

c.r.

Single-Sixer
Welcome to the forum :)

I'm going to agree with the blackhawk.

I like it over the Vaquero because of the adjustable sights. By choosing a .357, it's likely that sooner or later you will shoot both .38's and .357s. The adjustable sights will allow you to adjust point of aim to point of impact for any load you happen to be shooting that day.......whether it be .38s or .357s.......hot or mild loads. IMO, the adjustable sights offer more flexibility.

I also like the sight picture the blackhawk offers.

just my 2 cents,
~c.r.

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
GET YOUSELF A 50th Annv. Blackhawk now ..you can pick up a LONE RANGER GUN anytime !!!

I think I have set myself up..to be slammed...

J Miller

Blackhawk
christiancowboy":3qq7f4m8 said:
Hi everyone ouy their. this is my second posting, I'am still a newbie. Trying to decide vaquero or blackhawk? I' am use to shooting shotguns and rifles not handguns. Caliber 357 magnum. If that helps.

I'd suggest the Blackhawk for one reason. The sight picture. I don't consider the adjustability as any big deal, but the sights themselves are far superior to those on either incarnation of the Vaquero.
I also second the 50th Anniversary model if you can find one. There is really no reason to carry a full sized BH in .357. Way to heavy for what you're shooting.

One other suggestion; make sure by looking yourself the front sight is on the gun straight before you buy it. Nothing worse than a crooked front sight.

Joe

DGW1949

Hunter
J Miller":25rzw9du said:
christiancowboy":25rzw9du said:

I'd suggest the Blackhawk for one reason. The sight picture. I don't consider the adjustability as any big deal, but the sights themselves are far superior to those on either incarnation of the Vaquero.
I also second the 50th Anniversary model if you can find one. There is really no reason to carry a full sized BH in .357. Way to heavy for what you're shooting.

One other suggestion; make sure by looking yourself the front sight is on the gun straight before you buy it. Nothing worse than a crooked front sight.

Joe

Mr Miller is steering you straight.

DGW

Big Bubba

Single-Sixer
I agree with the above, get a Blackhawk because of the adj. sights. Heck, since you are new to handguns, get a nice Single Six too, so you can enjoy your shooting, and then move up to the Blackhawk. Most of us here own a complete line of Ruger Single action handguns! :D

coloradofarmboy

Bearcat
I recently went through the same debate... I had shot for some time a Ruger single six and loved it. I really wanted to buy a Vaquero 357Mag, but felt too constrained by the fixed sights and I really wanted something I could carry stout loads in. So at the end of the day due to the advice on here, I bought a Stainless Steel Bisley 5.5" .45 Colt / ACP (convertible) which is very similar to the Blackhawk, except it has a different grip and hammer. I am very pleased with the purchase as I think this will be much more versatile both in terms of the design such as the adjustable sights, but also in the range of loads that I can shoot between the Colt and ACP. You might want to check out the Bisley as you can still find them new on www.gunbroker.com

IF I do buy another six shooter, I will most likely buy a Vaquero (as opposed to new), but will probably get it now in a .45 so that I can use the brass and other reloading stuff that I am acquiring for my Bisley. Shooting fixed sights and having the classic lines of the Vaquero looks like fun, but at the end of the day I think I am going to be much happier with this next six shooter.

Regardless, have fun. That's what it is all about!

Welcome to the forum. I agree with the others - start off with the Blackhawk. Be careful! There is this thing called Rugeritis and it is catching. I bet you will end up with several SA's before long. :D

Hope you enjoy what ever you get and give us a range report.