Which SA to start with??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CraigC

Hawkeye
The OM .357 would probably be perfect for what you want. For general purpose use, adjustable sights are a huge plus. Personally, I would lean towards the 4 5/8" barrel. It will be cheaper to feed and honestly, if you don't plan to hunt, then a .44Mag is a lot of everything for nothing.

BearHawk 357":1k8byioo said:
I could defend this all day long (and so could many others).
...and look just as silly. Seriously, if a guy wants a packin' pistol, you don't suggest a 54oz Bisley Hunter. If a guy wants a hunting gun, you don't suggest a New Vaquero. Yeah, you could press any of them into any purpose (just like you could haul hay in a new Corvette) but it would be stupid to suggest something that would be perfect for one thing if that one thing is 180° from how you intend to use it. Just as it would be stupid to suggeset a Corvette if somebody wants to haul hay or a flatbed truck if somebody wants to go to the racetrack. This is where we use something called logic. It boggles my mind that somebody would actually argue that a firearm's intended purpose is NOT an important factor when trying to decide which one to buy.

I have lots of sixguns, two dozen single actions. They all have a purpose. Some are better for certain purposes than others. There are lightweight and portable packin' pistols, there are heavy duty dedicated hunting sixguns and there are lots of general purpose guns in between. If I was new to the game I know I'd be pretty pissed if what I wanted was a packin' pistol and somebody told me to buy a Bisley Hunter. Or if I wanted a hunting sixgun and somebody told me to buy a friggin' New Vaquero. Or if I did not handload and somebody told me that the .45Colt is the only way to go. Use your head for something besides a hat rack.

Where are these "many others"?

Closed-minded??? Please.

BearHawk 357":1k8byioo said:
2 Vaqueros = pretty much the same purposes
4 BH's/SBH's = pretty much the same purposes
Actually, it's one New Vaquero and six Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks. The same purposes??? This statement really makes me doubt your credibility.

I will repeat, THE INTENDED PURPOSE IS EVERYTHING!!!/

Bucks Owin

Hunter
CraigC":1dpwc2qo said:
The OM .357 would probably be perfect for what you want. For general purpose use, adjustable sights are a huge plus. Personally, I would lean towards the 4 5/8" barrel.
We agree? How can this be!?! :shock: Oh wait....I'D go with a 6.5" barrel... :wink:

maxpress

Buckeye
I guess ill take a shot in the dark and assume your looking for an all around revolver. in that case i would get the 50th anniversery BH.

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
It boggles my mind that somebody would actually argue that a firearm's intended purpose is NOT an important factor when trying to decide which one to buy.

This only holds true when you are contrasting guns that are VASTLY different in design, form and function.

In the case where a guy lists a pile of guns, that are all very similar, then it becomes a stretch to place any one gun into any one particularly exclusive category. I grouped all of the Vaqueros in one pile becasue they are basicaly similar in their design, form and function. Respectfully, I placed the Black Hawks and Super Black Hawks into their own category based on the fact that they are all very similar (to a new guy, mind you).

Those of us who have been around the block, for a while, will understand all of the little details and taboos etc that go along with this sport/hobby. I just feel that when somebody, who is new to guns, is looking for good/bad comments on a group of listed firearms that we should just give some pros and cons of the said listed guns. Let the OP decide what he wants to do with it when that time arises.

If you think that a 44 mag is the best choice for a hunter, then say so. However, let him decide. Some people are a little bit private about telling how they intend to use a gun (and for good reason). Also, sometimes when people are new to something they may not even know which questions to ask. I feel that people will sometimes "beat people up" over not knowing how to act like a pro on their very first day on the job.

I didn't mean to offend anyone with my comments, earlier. I just wanted to shed some new light on the "intended purpose" thing. I meant to come across just as somebody who thinks that Ruger guns are EXTREMEY versatile little jewels (and they are). I still think that the OP could buy any one of those guns and be completely happy with it for just about any intended purpose.

Anyway, what's a good debate without some sparks, right? No hard feelings. I get what a lot of you guys have said. I just hope that it all translates over to the OP well enough for some level of beneficial progress to be accomplished. Again, I'd like to take the high road and say sorry, to any who are offended, because you may disagree with me. Now, let's get back on topic.....

Just my two cents worth :D
The old Model Blackhawk in 61/2" 357 is the most versitle hand gun Ruger ever built.
Not just because it was my first center fire I bought new in 1967. I have shot dear with it. My kids and wife shot it with wad cutters and 38 spl.. I still use it in CAS and it has had at least 150,000 rounds through it with no problems. I also have a few new models that have been worked on and they DO NOT hold a candle to this model of Ruger
Just MHO,
Jim
The one in the middle
pair45s.jpg

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Dang, agree with flyboy too! :wink: Yep, if I could only have one sixgun the rest of my life, I could do worse than a 6.5" OM .357. Fine for deer too IMO with right load....150K rds? That's impressive amigo! Nice sixgun :D (BTW, did you checker those stocks? Looks good...It's something I'm just learning )

Bucks Owin":kzokzx16 said:
Dang, agree with flyboy too! :wink: Yep, if I could only have one sixgun the rest of my life, I could do worse than a 6.5" OM .357. Fine for deer too IMO with right load....150K rds? That's impressive amigo! Nice sixgun :D (BTW, did you checker those stocks? Looks good...It's something I'm just learning )

Thanks,
The grips are Eagle Gunfighter Grips. I have had them for about 5 years. They are thinner then the stock ones and fit my little hand better.
Yep, just like a Timex "keeps on a clicken and a bangen" :lol:
Jim

Pal Val

Buckeye
Three days of debating whom to pick between a bunch of Gingers and Mary Annes. I think we have too much time in our hands, fellas! How about suggesting that any will do, provided it strikes the fancy of the buyer?

That's why things come in so many models... I think.

Then again, at my age, thinking is not the strongest point! :lol:

CraigC

Hawkeye
Pal Val":5j6ykvlx said:
Three days of debating whom to pick between a bunch of Gingers and Mary Annes.
The sad part is we're not even debating which one to choose. Congratulations to BearHawk for starting the silliest discussion I was a part of in the month of March.

Curio Bill

Bearcat
Pal Val":3mj8oms4 said:
Three days of debating whom to pick between a bunch of Gingers and Mary Annes. ! :lol:

No question, Not even close......Mary Ann (I've felt that way for 30+ years, why change now!!) 8)