Which Ruger model has the best feel?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
Before a million people say, "well, the feel of a gun is totally subjective in nature." Let me start out by saying that I know that the feel of a gun is a subjective thing and so does everybody else. So, with that being said..... let's here your opinion.

Which model feels the best to YOU? Which one feels the best when YOU are sitting with it, on your lap, while watching an old western movie? Which one makes YOU feel most confident while hunting? Which one feels the best for protection? Which one feels the best at the target range? Which model just flat out feels like it's at home, while resting, in YOUR hand?

You don't have to answer all of these questions. Feel free to share your thoughts, though.

I'm going to vote for the 3 3/4" Vaquero in 45 Colt for overall quality of feel. I like the balance, weight, trigger, hammer, grip size etc. I like the feel of the action and the overall looks of the gun. You might ask, New Vaquero or Vaquero? The answer (just to clarify): Vaquero

My all-time favorite is an Old Model .45 with 7-1/2" barrel and stock XR3RED grip.

Next would be an Old Model 5-1/2" Single-Six, stock XR3RED's.

Recent plaything, Old Model .45 with 4-5/8" barrel and Super Blackhawk "dragoon" grip.

Haven't tried any Bisleys . . . I'm afraid I might like them.

;)

I have a Bisley single six which is pretty darn comfortable. 6 1/2 inch barrel which makes the balance just right. Otherwise, a 5 1/2 inch barrel with the new vaquero has great balance as well.

JHRosier

Single-Sixer
I have really taken a liking to the Single-Six Hunter.
It has the feel and the general profile of the Colt 1851 Navy.
If you have ever handled a Colt Navy, you will understand.

In centerfire calibers, the full sized Super Blackhawk tickles my fancy.
It is attractive, rugged, affordable and accurate.

You can spend a lot more money to buy a single action revolver but never get a better value than a Ruger.

Jack

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
GP-100 4" feels good shooting, on my hip, in the car, in the woods, and in the dresser drawer.

Bisley 7.5" at the range. :D :D

...Jimbo

batmann

Single-Sixer
My Alaskan with the old style Lett grips feels and balances about as well as anything I have ever shot. Next would be my mid-frame Flattops, especially my .44 special.

flatgate

Hawkeye
52401013.jpg

Early '60's .44 Flattop with original 7-1/2" barrel. Steel XR3-RED grip frame, Super Blackhawk hammer and Eagle Ultra Ivory Grips.

My favorite shooter in the pile....

flatgate

45Colt_Man

Blackhawk
All depends on your hands. Never shot a Ruger I didn't like, but I prefer the Hunter gripframe. Just my personal opinion. I have all the gripframes but the long frame.

Dana

tek4260

Buckeye
Flatgate,

Are those 300 gr Speers? What powder are you using that needs than much crimp? And can you get a crimp like that with both hands, or do you have to jump on the press handle? :lol:

c.r.

Single-Sixer
New Model
a 4-5/8" Vaquero with steel grip frame and aluminum ERH

Old Model
a 6-1/2" pre '63 single six w/ xr-3 grip frame.

gak

Buckeye
Single Six .4-5/8, 32 H&R fixed sight all steel ("Vaquerito"), std XR3 Red gripframe, aftermarket "Colt SAA" style grips. All time favorite "feel".and favorite Ruger overall.
Later Ed. My New Vaq .357 5.5" would be perfect too, if it were a .44 Special :)