Which Ruger model has the best feel?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
Something about the Special Edition 5.5" Vaqueros with the 38/40 cylinder in place that balances better than any other model to me. Maybe it is the right amount of metal out of the cylinder at the right places. I have a pair and they just seem to point exactly right. The 40S&W cylinders still feel pretty good, but the 38/40 when loaded is "just right".

My Lipsey's 4 5/8" .44 Specials are second, and not by all that much, even with the smaller grip.

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
hittman,

I would have to give the 4" Police Sevice Six (with factory wood grips) a ton of credit too. Overall, I think that the GP's are probably a better gun. However, I like the feel of the Service series of revolvers better than the GP series.

They just may be the perfect gun, to have on your hip, while thrashing around in the woods. They are somewhat light weight, their current market price is reasonable, they clear leather quickly, no rear sight sticking up to get bumped off, sturdy construction and they are good shooters. I'll never sell mine.

Greebe

Single-Sixer
This one:
RABDB.jpg

Acusport Bisley in .45Colt. It can digest the hottest loads very comfortably with the steel bisley grip frame.

Greebe

Dave T

Single-Sixer
3-Screw Blackhawks with the XR-3 grip frame. I shoot the 6-1/2" barrels in 357 & 44 best but like the feel (balance) of the 4-5/8" 357s best.

Dave

HogLegBill

Bearcat
I really like the balance and feel of my Blackhawk 45 Bisley with 7 1/2 inch barrel, but my old 3 screw 6 1/5 single six 22 fits like a glove and the trigger pull is so much sweeter. I haven't had the Bisley very long but the the grip might be the best fit for me of any handgun I have ever picked up.

Dale53

Blackhawk
My personal favorite is the 5½" .44 Lipsey Special with Pachmayr grips. To me, it became an instant CLASSIC!

QPachmaryRuger50th44MagSelects-0022.jpg

I favor the properly loaded .44 Special for a field gun and I really like the feel of this combination. I cast my own bullets and reload and this allows me to get the best from the .44.

Dale53

Knuckles

Buckeye
Well' for single action it would be Vaqueros & Blackhawks with the grip butts round off... and birds head 3.75" Vaqueros.

The double actions would be the GP100 first then the SP101both with hogue rubber bumpers... then the Redhawk with Hogue 'Bantam' rubber grips.

Bud (knuckles)

flatgate

Hawkeye
tek4260":1m5ukzoh said:
Flatgate,

Are those 300 gr Speers? What powder are you using that needs than much crimp? And can you get a crimp like that with both hands, or do you have to jump on the press handle? :lol:

A bunch of WW-296 and Lee's Factory Crimp Die. I crimp ALL my ""warm loads" that way. I also like a firm crimp on my big bore loads that use SR-4759. I'm a firm believer that "slow" powder needs that extra "split second" to burn prior to the bullet leaving the case.

JMHO,

flatgate

flatgate

Hawkeye
Dale53":37cco9yj said:
My personal favorite is the 5½" .44 Lipsey Special with Pachmayr grips. To me, it became an instant CLASSIC!
I favor the properly loaded .44 Special for a field gun and I really like the feel of this combination. I cast my own bullets and reload and this allows me to get the best from the .44.

Dale53

Uh, Dale, isn't your Flattop a .44 magnum?

:D

flatgate