Which Ruger Mini-30 should I get??? Why???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bearcat

Blackhawk
OK, after years of bad luck with various Ruger Mini-14s, I switch to the AR platform in 5.56 x45.

Now I really want a 7.62 x 39 Russian. Not excited about most AKs.

Which Ruger Mini-30 should I get and why??? Heard that the newer models are much more accurate.

Would use this for Deer, predators like coyote and fox, and pests like skunks and raccoons.

Interested in any personal experiences that you can share.

Would also be interested in a newer, used rifle if you have one for sale at a good price.

Thanks,

--Doc

hickoryhillbill

Single-Sixer
In 2013 I bought the ranch model. 18in barrel stainless with black stock. I have several Minis so I decided to experiment on this one. Have only shot reloads through it loaded with .308 dia. bullets, IMR or H 4198 powder in IMI brass. In over 2000 rounds it has never had any problems of any kind and is a 11/2 to 2 in group shooter in my son's hands with a Sightmark red dot sight. I am really impressed with this rifle compared with my other Minis. I might add that I have used bullets from 110gr up to 150gr. 125 gr Speer TNT and 125gr Hor.SST make this thing deadly.Muzzle velocity runs 2370 fps to 2430 fps. I'm satisfied.

DGW1949

Hunter
Re: "Which Ruger Mini-30 should I get??? Why???"......

T'were it me, I'd go for the blued tactical model and look around for a used wood stock to fit it to. Reasons is:
I don't care for plastic rifle stocks.
I've had experience with a dozen or so Mini-30's...and the blued versions almost allways out-shot the stainless versions.
It's well known that chopping the RR-length barrel and adding a muzzle device will measurably decrease group size, and the 2" shorter/stiffer "tactical" barrel aint going to hurt the performance of 7.62X39 cartridge enough to notice.
And last but not least......I dearly love short/handy carbines.

DGW

hickoryhillbill

Single-Sixer
CO Steve, regarding .308 bullets,me and a armorer I know both slugged my barrel and came up with a bore dia. of .3095. If you reload give the more plentiful .308 slugs a shot. You might get lucky like I did. Load development is half the fun of shooting in my opinion. But thats just me.LOL

Bearcat

Blackhawk
Well, this is what got me excited about the Mini-30 again.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkN3lK4T1xM

Got to stop watching these videos....