Which Ruger .22 pistol to buy?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GoPokes82

Bearcat
Hey all, I wanted to list my goals in buying a ruger .22 pistol, and hope for suggestions on what to get.

I currently have a gp100 357, my first and only handgun. I have several rifles, and I got my rifle skills from putting thousands upon thousands of rounds through a CZ .22 I own. I am a dang good shot with my rifles or shotguns...but not with my pistol! I want to improve, and I can't afford to put thousands of rounds of .38 through it (I have about 800 rounds through it now...I am comfortable with the gun, but I want to be good with it)

My solution is to buy a .22 handgun (doesn't need to be a revolver) pretty much for range use only, as a trainer and warm up tool. I just don't have enough experience shooting handguns. I have been looking on GB, and found several different models or varying ages and price ranges from 200-500...so what should I get? I don't want to overspend on the gun, I want to buy something that will meet my needs and not much else. I am a functional kind of guy...not interested in added cost so she looks pretty.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
My first choice would be a Ruger Mk-II (Mk-III would be second choice) with a five to seven inch bull barrel. I have both a five and a seven (6-7/8" actually) and they are really fun to shoot. Being a .22lr, they are also relatively inexpensive to shoot.

My aversion to Mk-III-s are the new front sight. I like the old style. YMMV. :D

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
Any of the Ruger semi-auto's. I'm a fan of the Mk III, 22/45. I had a 4" bull barrel one with a red dot that would shoot the lights out. (I say had because I traded it off for something I wanted more at the time. I'll most likely replace it.)

dito on the above, I have a stainless MKIII with the bull target barrel and love it.... but when you start budgeting for the price of the pistol... go ahead and figure in for a total of 10 mags.... I'm not kidding, that's about the right number... at least 5, you will want to load a whole box before you start shooting.

I also have a single six and never shoot it... too hard to load and isn't nearly as accurate.

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
GoPokes82 ... I would recommend you consider a MKIII512 bull barrel (or a 22/45 bull barrel if you want to save a bit of money and don't mind the polymer grip or perfer the grip angle). The reason that I suggest the bull barrel is because:
1. Better heat dissapation if you're shooting a lot of rounds.
2. The added barrel weight just seems to balance the gun better.
I generally start each range sessions with mine to warm up and to practice trigger control and sight picture (at distances ranging from 30' to 75'), and generally finish my range session shooting a variety of different drills with it (I generally put 400 - 500 rounds through mine each week). Hope it helps ... Good luck with your decision!

Depends what you expect, with a .22 rimfire.

If you expect to shoot really accurately, I'd go with any of the semi-autos.
The Standard auto, MkI, and MkII have always been extremely good shooters. I'm sure the MkIII will shoot well, too, but it's got a few too many doo-dads for me.

If you expect to have a great time shooting, and really want to learn how to shoot a single action well, then a Single Six should be your choice. And, I must say, my Old Model .22's are more accurate than my New Models.

I have plenty of both types, but I can't tell you the last time I shot my semi autos. I do have a great time shooting my single actions, and that is quite often!

WAYNO.

A

Anonymous

I'm enjoying my MKIII 22/45 quite a bit.
22_45Target.jpg

Target3.jpg

Dusterman

Single-Sixer
Mark III 22/45 target both my daughter and I have fun shooting it, I,ve got a red dot on it, makes it alittle heavier but with these old eyes I need all the help I can get. THe only thing I don,t like about it is when you do a full breakdown for cleaning its a pain but I just take my time and it all comes together. I also have 2 single sixes 1 OM 1 NM I enjoy shooting both and once you get in a pattern loading and unloading get easy. The OM has a loading notch which makes it even easier :D Oh and as already said if you get a simi auto do get plenty of Mags. Dusterman
0903090937.jpg

conder0289

Single-Sixer
Shop around for a nice used Mark ll, where I go you can usually find them in great condition for around $250 with box and papers, or around $175-200 out the door with nothing.

I personally like the Bull Barrel Models in Blue but would never pass up on the Stainless Models either!

sheepman

Bearcat
The single six is a lot of fun and also has a extra cylinder for 22 magnums. The MK I, II, or III is a little easier to shoot but is really not more accurate. The revolver is a handier woods gun and the auto will take a scope or red dot, do what I did - get both. Good luck : Bill

omalon

Bearcat
If you want to have some fun, get an air pistol which you can shoot indoors. 1377c for $50 and it's a blast to shoot....

Richbaker

Blackhawk
Dusterman":4gjql6fb said:
Mark III 22/45 target both my daughter and I have fun shooting it, I,ve got a red dot on it, makes it alittle heavier but with these old eyes I need all the help I can get. THe only thing I don,t like about it is when you do a full breakdown for cleaning its a pain but I just take my time and it all comes together. I also have 2 single sixes 1 OM 1 NM I enjoy shooting both and once you get in a pattern loading and unloading get easy. The OM has a loading notch which makes it even easier :D Oh and as already said if you get a simi auto do get plenty of Mags. Dusterman
0903090937.jpg

That is NOT a 22/45.... a 22/45 has a polymer lower with the same grip angle as a 1911. They were built to replicate the feel and control locations of the 1911 for inexpensive training uses.

DMN

Bearcat
Richbaker":1ojbzgyj said:
That is NOT a 22/45.... a 22/45 has a polymer lower with the same grip angle as a 1911. They were built to replicate the feel and control locations of the 1911 for inexpensive training uses.

Looks to be a Ruger MKIII512....A 5 1/2" Bull Barrel. All metal. In fact, other than the red dot being a little forward, it looks just like mine. :)

Dusterman

Single-Sixer
I guess I,m going to have to pay more attention to what I own :oops: and the Red Dot has been moved rearward that pic was taken when I first put it on. Dusterman

DMN

Bearcat
Dusterman":1yjjz9rg said:
I guess I,m going to have to pay more attention to what I own :oops: and the Red Dot has been moved rearward that pic was taken when I first put it on. Dusterman

That's ok. It's a nice gun. I really like mine. It's a fun shooter.