which revolver/caliber?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

870ExpressMag

Bearcat
I want something to hunt with..my area for deer is all shotgun but we can use pistols over 35 caliber and I have always wanted to do it....i have a blackhawk in 30 carbine and i really like it....i am down to a couple options...looking for input....
45colt or 44mag?
blackhawk or redhawk?

i am sure i will get tons of opinions....so i am always looking for the "whys" so i can sort out what is important to me...thanks for any input

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
My preference is a Blackhawk - if you reload flip a coin. If you don't reload, 44mag due to ammo availability.

s4s4u

Hunter
Arokcrwlr":aq7uh827 said:
My preference is a Blackhawk - if you reload flip a coin. If you don't reload, 44mag due to ammo availability.

What he said, but in a Bisley.

Scott

Single-Sixer
I just went through the exact same question, and ended up with a .45Colt Blackhawk in a 4 5/8" barrel instead of the .44; My reasons were 1)can load .45 in a very wide range of loads, if/when I start reloading 2) I can find "cowboy loads" fairly readily, but they're pricey 3)I found one for the price I was willing to pay, that was 4)a perfect match for my single six. I'm considering getting a .45 ACP cylinder fitted for it because they are even more available, and a LOT cheaper, in my area.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the forum!
First,, the 44 or the 45 will both work quite well on deer.
Find the gun that fits YOUR hands,, and buy that one. Blackhawks,, Bisleys,, Redhawks,, 41 mags,, 44 mags,,, 45 Colts,,, All good choices. I say shoot as many as you can & find the one that fits YOU!

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
I reload. I already shoot 45 ACP and 460 Rowland. I went w/ the 45 cal Blackhawk convertible.

870ExpressMag

Bearcat
wow thanks for the replies....heres a little update and another question....

i DO already reload
i like the 44mag because i can shoot 44specials in it at the indoor range
however i could get a 45colt loaded way down, and a 45acp cylinder.

single action vs double action doesn;t make much difference but i am wondering if i need to go with a scope mount...will it benefit me that much mounting a scope?

A

Anonymous

I live in SW Michigan too and have in the past used a .44 Mg to hunt deer.

The problem with shooting deer with a handgun is placement of the shot. Most of the time when deer are shot, it is just getting daylight, or just as it is getting dark, IE the sights on the gun are hard to see. Therefore, if you are in an area where the shots may be up to 100 yds, I recommend an optical sight....like a 2 power scope.

I see where the legislature is discussing the legalization of rifles in Zone three and if they do, it will be with the same cartridges as are now allowed for handguns. If it passes, I will be shooting a .44 Mg. rifle.

Anyway, anything including and over the 357 Mg. is fine. I am a believer in the big bullet theory, so I would use the .44 Mg.

Lee Martin

Hunter
Either caliber. The 44 vs 45 argument is an endless discussion with no right answer.

For hunting, you may want to consider a 7.5" barrel. More bulk, but it'll give you a better sight pattern.

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
Lots of good replies already; agree with most all of them. I chose the 44 SBH Hunter. I use a 2x scope; for the reasons already stated. I had a red dot on it, which was perfect for hunting; fast, easy to 'align' quickly, good for dim light, etc. But although the sight held up to the recoil, the mount I had to use to get it to work on that gun, (B-Square), did NOT! So now I have the Weaver Classic in the Ruger STEEL rings.

As to which, as you have read, it's a 'Ford vs. Chevy' argument. Try them both, and see which one 'floats your boat'. That's what I did. Wife has a cousin that had both RH and BH in 44, and I shot them both. As far as which caliber, that - again - is just whatever one strikes your fancy. You might also consider the 41 Mag. Also an excellent choice for deer, hogs, etc.

Bottom line: try 'em and choose, and go have FUN! Good luck!

P.S. As you may already know, you CAN download the 44 just as easily as you can the 45. And you can do it using the 44 MAG cases too; to keep from getting that 'ring around the collar' in your cylinder in front of the shorter 44 Spec. cases.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Lee Martin":2p0jn021 said:
Either caliber. The 44 vs 45 argument is an endless discussion with no right answer.

For hunting, you may want to consider a 7.5" barrel. More bulk, but it'll give you a better sight pattern.
+1. I have both and still can't decide which I like better.

Yes, you can shoot .44 Special out of your .44 mag, but you can reduce the charges in your .45 Colts to bring them to the same level. Of course you can do this in the .44 mag too, even with the mag cases. .44 mag ammo is a little more available commercially, but at such a price ($35/50) that you really have to want it to buy it.

Not much help, I realize...

-- Sam

870ExpressMag

Bearcat
thanks for the help guys...looks like i still have some more deciding to do....would like to go with a scope but that jumps the price of the gun....times are tough and i can only talk the wife into so much.....

will have to check out some gun shops and hold different ones....i have a blackhawk now but interested in holding a bisley

Kanook

Buckeye
The scope is a great idea. just remember to leave it outside the night before (or get a good one)so it doesn't fog up and makes you miss the big 10pt staring at you while you're trying to figure how to defog without getting busted. (guess how I learned this)

I shoot 45colt and the wife shoot 44mag. With the new 44special that are turning up she's thinking about changing.

The most important thing that I always remember when hunting with an iron sighted pistol is it's like archery with a bang. meaning if you couldn't make the shot with the bow, don't try it with the pistol. In time it will get better and the shots will get further.

Knuckles

Buckeye
Howdy from Oakland County, MI.

I went with the .45Colt Super Blackhawk Hunter w/plow-handle factory grips.

I don't have a scope yet but I've settled on a Leupold red-dot X's 2 mag'

It will go nicely with my 4" Redhawk.45Colt

There's all kinds of ammo for either round now days but reloading makes the choice about the same.

I bought the gun with bigger hole for hunting. :wink:

Bud (knuckles)