Which one?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

varoadking

Bearcat
Which would you rather have:

Ruger 77 RSI .270 WIN (blue), or,

Ruger Hawkeye RSI .308 WIN (matte)...

...and why?

I am not familiar with the .270 - how does it shoot compared to a .308?

TIA

Chuckbuster

Single-Sixer
Purely my opinion but if you are after a shooter not collector I would go with the .308. The .270 will give up quite a bit of the velocity which made it famous in the RSI length barrel. The .308 will give up some also but I would expect less when compared to Sporter lenght rifles.

sebtool

Blackhawk
redoktober":4qnb6yse said:
Of the two, the 308 works better w/ shorter barrels.

Short action -.308 vs long action - .270. More compact, easier packing, shooting, etc. Not to mention the .308 is, IMHO, pretty much 1 of the best all around cartridges for deer sized game available.

OK - my favorite - that better? :wink:

The .308 RSI is on my short list, just can't do it right now.

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
If you are talking about the fore-end sling 'strap', it will take an 1 1/4" latigo sling. Between the 270 and 308, I'd take the 308. In fact I did even over my old favorite 30-06. It is my only 308 rifle. It just makes more sense although I don't care for the Hawkeye matte finish at all, especially on a classy wood stocked rifle. Fortunately mine is a MKII w/ a nicely polished blue finish. Regardless of caliber I'd look pretty hard for a MKII or even a tang safety model before I ever settled for a matte finish on a RSI.

mattsbox99

Hunter
The Matte hawkeyes aren't really winning me over. I'd hoped more people would be dumping off MKIIs cheap but I was wrong.

I'm not really a fan of .308 or .270... but if forced I'd take the .308 I suppose.

Trey Whitley

Single-Sixer
Silent Sam":237q0hi5 said:
If you are talking about the fore-end sling 'strap', it will take an 1 1/4" latigo sling.
Really? I have the 1-inch Latigo sling on mine and it doesn't look like there's room for a 1 1/4" sling there.

Of the two calibers, I'd choose the 308 for many of the reasons already mentioned. Some guys who have these in .30-06 think there's too much muzzle blast with the larger capacity cases...I assume the 270 might suffer the same fate but I can't comment from personal experience.

Of the two rifles, I also prefer the polished blue finish of the MkII over the matte Hawkeye finish.

redoktober

Bearcat
I can imagine what the blast and noise must be like to have one in .30-06. I have a Rem 7600 with a carbine length barrel (18.5") and the noise and flash are pretty intense. You don't notice it as much as the shooter, but those around you certainly will!

varoadking

Bearcat
Well, I pulled the trigger on a new RSI Hawkeye from Bud's...I figure "it's fer shootin', not fer lookin'", so the finish became a non-issue..

...and besides, I have a pant load of ammo for another .308...

...though I do hope it has decent wood... :wink: