Which one?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Woodpeople

Bearcat
I'm a revolver guy, but I want a semi auto for personal carry. I've heard that the 9mm, being a NATO round is easier and better to get, but may not have the stopping power needed in a pinch. I have been carrying a .357 (GP100), so that is the switch I would be making. Any advice?

Well, this has the potential to become a multi-page thread.

The NATO consideration is only of concern if you plan to be travelling the world over and hope to find ammo everywhere. A good case can be made that .38 Special and/or .357 Magnum ammo has relatively world-wide availability, as well.

9mm is available in some relatively small guns, and that's convenient for concealed carry.

Leaving 9mm aside, a large field becomes available, including the classic .45ACP, the relatively less-powerful .380ACP, and the rather mid-range .40 S&W . . . all available in a myriad of semi-auto styles.

There are others, as well. And you will most likely hear about many of them shortly.

:D

kscott

Single-Sixer
How are you wanting to carry? Is concealment going to be an issue based on how you carry or your size? I'm just looking for a starting point on whether we should be recommending full-size, compact, or subcompact.

tdyoung58

Bearcat
I carry a Ruger P345 and have no intention of carrying anything else. has been nothing but reliable for me and eats and spits the bullets out of pretty much everything I load a magazine with including SWC for range shoots

The most underrated .45 acp on the market is the Ruger P345

sheepman

Bearcat
Like stated above, the gun that serves you best will be based on what your needs are, how carried, your type of dress if concealed, whether the gun will be used for dangerous animals or not and so and so forth. Personally I am less concerned with caliber (as long as it is 9mm or better) than I am with how well I can shoot the gun I carry. While the 45 acp is a favorite, the 40 or 9mm are good also. Try a number of guns that meet your needs and find one that works best for you. Good luck : Bill

Woodpeople

Bearcat
Thanks for all the input. I live in Colorado. They have a law here called the "Make my Day" law (no joke) which allows any Colorado Citizen to carry a loaded firearm in their vehicle, because the vehicle is an extension of their homes, and we have the right to protect ourselves in our homes. My needs would be a full size in the truck, and a compact on my person. We still need the CCW to carry in person. I'd like the same caliber for both. I'm leaning towards a .45, but I don't find a compact .45 to carry. It would be fine behind, or under the seat while traveling. Does Ruger make a .45 compact? I'm a big guy, which some of the replies have asked (6'5"/320lbs) with big hands. Some of the compacts are too small for my hand. The local gun shop here just wants to sell me a gun. Ruger, S&W, Raven...they don't care. I value and appreciate your input on this. You've all been very helpful.

tdyoung58

Bearcat
Go and wrap your hands around a P345, it's s single stack so it's not bulky and conceals nicely and isn't real heavy either.

If you want a smaller (size) .45 look at the Taurus PT745 Millinium Pro. 6+1 single stack very compact .45acp. Make sure it's the third generation version that says Millinium PRO on the slide. It's rated for +P rounds, never had any issues with the one I had

Don't think about a PT145 Millinium PRO, they have issues with frames cracking because of the double stack magazine and thinness of the frame to fit it in.

You might also look into one of the Double stack 1911's like Kimber, Springfield and Para Ord, have they might fit your paws better being bigger around, they make them in a Commander length as well

TRanger

Blackhawk
I prefer the .45, but sometimes carry a 9mm when "traveling light." :) I certainly don't feel poorly armed with the 9mm Parabellum. With modern ammunition, it seems quite effective. I doubt anyone wants to catch a 115-124 grain hollowpoint at 1200-1300 feet per second.

Spikess

Bearcat
Though I'm not too wild about the 9 mm, I do think that with many of today's bullet designs, it's "nearing" the performance of the .357 mag. My personal choice though would always be a .45 acp. That way, I don't have to worry if the bullet expands or not. And it sure ain't gonna shrink.

Russ7777

Bearcat
I presently have a p89, but it is a bit cumbersome to carry, so I am considering a taurus millenuum pro in the 40 cal. It is a smaller gun so it is easier to carry, and it has more punch than a 9mm.

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
Woodpeople":3b4iodxx said:
My needs would be a full size in the truck, and a compact on my person. We still need the CCW to carry in person. I'd like the same caliber for both. I'm leaning towards a .45, but I don't find a compact .45 to carry. It would be fine behind, or under the seat while traveling. Does Ruger make a .45 compact?
While Ruger doesn't make a compact .45, you may want to consider a P345 as your truck gun in combination with a compact (officers size) 1911 (Springfield, Kimber, Colt, etc) for a carry gun. Even with my large hands, this combination works well for me (My daily carry is a Springfield SS 1911 micro-compact .45acp). Good luck with finding the right combo for you.

airwin

Bearcat
Hi Woodpeople, take a look to the Glock 19. For me, it is a well tried universal handgun. It is light, small enough for carrying concealed and don´t forget, it holds 15+1 rounds. The G 19 is a reliable 9mm-tool.
As mentioned, the P345 is an outstandig good pistol too, and it is slim enough for CC.

tdyoung58, you are right when you say that the P345 is the most underrated .45 ACP on the market.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Which Semi Auto? The answer is--- WHO KNOWS, its your gun.
Most all the semis work, go to the gun store and pick one up
that fits your hand.
Buy it.
Not that complicated.

wildturk

Single-Sixer
If your looking to stay within the same "stopping power" range as the 357, I'd go with a 45 ACP. That said a 9MM will get it done as well plus you have more capacity. The 40 S&W... I have one only because I "didn't" have one. I rarely if ever carry or even shoot it. As for overall size, the possibilities are endless. Even 45 ACP pistols are available in compact models, including 1911's.

dowby77

Bearcat
I would have to agree with a taurus for a compact 45.I have shot one while at the range and it felt great.I am also a big guy with larger hands and it fit them quite well. My everyday carry is a kel tec 380 with ct laser and I have never felt undergunned.90 gr gold dots will definately do the job.I also carry a taurus 24/7 9mm and a ruger p944 40 s&w from time to time cant go wrong with any of these calibers

Doble Troble

Bearcat
One of the SP-101 series in 357 would be as easy or easier to conceal as anything in 9 or 45.

After that there's the LCR or LCP. The LCP disappears in a pocket.

Shiftless

Bearcat
The pistol bullet combination that allows for full/maximum expansion within the body cavity. Having said that, the 9MM and 45 are the most common and available, cheapest to shoot.
9mm HST 124 gr hollow point or 45 230 gr HST or similar round.... around 14" is the deepest penetration you need, otherwise a bullet expends the remainder of it's energy beyond the target and who knows what or whom is back there?
A look at the ballistics gel tests for the most common bullet/caliber combinations at www.luckygunner.com will give you the best answer. Shooting a FMJ at high speed through a bad guy into who knows what beyond... I wouldn't use a 300 mag to shoot a whitetail, but it is ultimately your decision, research is key.
Heavens knows I spent many days looking at pros and cons and finally decided what works for me.