Which one ? SP101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LTB45

Bearcat
7mmb":201mzu3p said:
I got the 2.25 for CCW. Already had the 4" GP100 to go with it.

100_0186.jpg

Great looking pair!!!!!

I love the inserts! Where did you get them?

LTB45

7mmb

Bearcat
Got them from Lett Grips, Ruger's original supplier of OEM grips. Sadly they are out of business now. I think that is why Ruger is using the unsightly (imo) Hogue grips on their revolvers now. I have two spares though in case I buy another GP100 or a SRH.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I bought the 101 with the 2 1/4" with the exposed hammer. I really enjoy this gun with 38's. I have a mod 15 smith with 2" and a mod 29 with 3" and a super redhawk alaskan in 454. That's a great set of snub nosed revolvers. I can go from mild to wild at a whim.

LTB45

Bearcat
Boomer":26ja4257 said:
7mmb":26ja4257 said:
Got them from Lett Grips, Ruger's original supplier of OEM grips. Sadly they are out of business now. <snip>
I like Altamont's inserts and have two sets on order (rosewood, silver-black) for my new SP 3". Check out these GP100 snake skin rosewood inserts for $24:http://altamontco.com/products/pistol/ruger/gp100.php

Boomer, thanks for the link!!! Very NICE inserts!!!

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
cb6.jpg

Heres the gun i picked up
This gun has the slightest of wear on the muzzel ends and slightest on front of cly. from being carried overall is in super great condition 97 % at least...Blueing is bright and shiney grips are sharp... slightest cly. ring , comes in orginal box & came with Pachmayr Pressntation grips that are new in box.
I purchased the gun from the dealer that sold it new the previous owner (that he sold it to) told him he "shot less than 50 times still had the original box of ammo that he purshased with the gun.."

i selling it though

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
That's a nice short barreled Security-Six.

As to your OP, I have both a 3" and a 2" DAO SP-101. I got the DAO as a pocket carry gun. It works very well for that, a little heavy compared to an alloy S&W J-frame, but can take the heaviest loads without any concerns. I preferred the DAO version for pocket/coat carry.

I also picked up a used 3" one later at a bargain price. I tend to carry it most often for outdoors use, e.g. hiking and kayaking. The longer barrel gives me more reliable accuracy out to 50 yards. Otherwise, I tend to carry the DAO one more often. The 3" one is not as useable for pocket carry, just slightly too long. It works well in a heavy coat or holster though.

I really couldn't make a case for a non-DAO short barrel version though.

MARLIN 45 COLT

Bearcat
I have a SP101 with a 3" bbl. It does have a velocity advantage. When gonig from a 6" to a 4" the loss of velocity per inch is not great.As the Barrel gets shorter the loss of velocity per inch is greater. I had mine ported. The differance in felt recoil is not as much has I thought it would. I did have to file the front sight down a little as it now shoot a little lower.
I think the 3" bbl is the way to go. As to concealability-the bbl is not the problem. Its the size and shape of the grip that makes the 'print'.

Fear conscipts is own army and takes its own prisoners.

chg

Bearcat
I have one of each in .357. Bought the 3" then 8 or10 years later the 2 1/4" sp101. The shorter barrel was a little easier for me to feel like it was concealed and not sticking below my T shirt. I say "was" because my wife claimed it and uses it with .38s. The 3" has been carried since I bought it and I feel it's just about right. Would sometimes like a larger caliber, yet the size allows it to always be there, not home in the safe.