Which length Single six would you guys get?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BisleyGripped

Bearcat
Dreaming of taking a SS .22 Single Six and doing a good bit of custom stuff to it. I've had a bunch of hand guns, but nothing ever felt better than strapping on a six-gun and good leather. Makes ya feel good even without pulling a trigger! I have a current SS w/ 5-1/2" and 7-1/2" barrels, but I have carried many 4-5/8" blackhawks over the years, and really like the balance. I know the Single frame is lighter, maybe balance is different??
I just like the idea of a "do-all" gun, since most changes are cosmetic for my preferences. I want it to be the gun that I am most likely to pick up and carry hiking and so forth. Longer barrel lengths tend to cut down on the 'packability' of it, so...Any owners of the shorter barrels, I need your input. Also wanting ideas for alterations; not just different sights, but engraved backstraps, Bisley grips, inlaid cylinder, while staying a carrying sixgun! Any thoughts stirring out there?

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I find the 6.5-inch to be a little nose heavy and for me I really like the 5.5-inch with the alloy frame models (non-stainless). I have never shot or even handled a stainless single six so I don't know what I would personally like there.

Just my oppionion and I am not sure that is worth a full $0.02 :wink:

I would not want the weight of the Bisley Grip frame on a single six for packing. I have considered putting a stainless Bisley grip frame on a single six hunter however!

Cholo

Staff member
I like longer barrels. My choice would be 7 1/2" if Ruger made one. Love my Colt 7 1/2" .22. You say you have a 7 1/2" Ruger SS, was it custom made or did it have the barrel cut from a long tom?

flatgate

Hawkeye
I've carried a 6-1/2" Stainless Steel New Model Single-Six A LOT, often in a shoulder holster underneath my coveralls.

The extra sight radius is, to me, quite beneficial.

flatgate

PS The Hunter model has a 7-1/2" barrel. Or, a guy can trim a 9-1/2" one down a bit...
332247836.jpg

BisleyGripped

Bearcat
FLATGATE, you're killing me! Can't you ever post pics of an UGLY gun, just to make it easier on the rest of us? It's getting so bad here that my fiancee will walk by, see drool on the screen, and say, "You'd better be looking at some women!" I agree with you on the length, longer is better.
Yes, my long barrel is cut down, but I would like to carry a 5-1/2 or 4-5/8 for packin'. Weight of the SS isn't an issue as much as the longer barrel.
I noticed that KEEN ONE has the correct answer-ALL! I would like to try
a 4-5/8 but seems harder to find here in SS. Any members got a good used paperwei--uh, fine shooting device they're not using anymore? I may also consider trading my SS Blackhawk for one. Still looking for ideas
to make mine 'stand out' a little bit.[/quote]

americal

Hunter
I"ve read thru last 30 or so years that the ruger old model 6&1/2 super single six was one of the more accurate 22"s mass produced.I have seen guys shoot really tight groups with these guns, really need to shoot a LOT & trigger pull is very important 2 or 3 lbs for me. I've shot 1,000 rds in one sitting many times(that was for mental therpy from doctor) after a while you are aware of only target :) shooting gun is automatic - can really get in good grove sometimes & hit targets you think is not possible :)

alank2

Bearcat
Hi,

I picked up the 4 5/8" - I love the short barrels. It is on the lower left here:

ss2.jpg

I really love this gun, it is so fun to shoot!

Thanks,

Alan

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Mine is a 5 1/2" model but preferable I'd opt for a 6 1/2" model. I just like he longer bbls.

tuttletom

Bearcat
I have two 45/8s in ss .I want to do some work on them but,not sure what just yet. I though bisley hammer & trigger.

BisleyGripped

Bearcat
Tuttletom: Are your guns .22s? How much would it cost to change over
to the Bisley grip and hammer? And does the conversion fit the Single six as well as Blackhawk frames?

tuttletom

Bearcat
I bought 2 KNR4s go to www.lipsey.com they are RUKNR4. SO far I have started on 1 ,I have put a free spin pawl in which I maded . Next I think I will get a BISLEY hammer & trigger . I know I will use the grip frame and file the frame to fit hammer and trigger. I have seen some of HAMILTON BOWENS conversions in the AMERICAN HANDGUNNER 2009 SPECIAL EDITION using the bisley hammer and like the look. I have 2 BISLEY in 22 a RB-22AW & a KRB-24FW. I dont know if you can buy bisley frames for the 22s.I like the look and feel of a 45/8 barrel. Hope this helps

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
I kinda like the shorter barrels in the bigger bores but the 6.5" is my choice for the Single Six. I like the longer sight radius and although it may not be a lot, the extra velocity in the .22. :)

Picture293-1.jpg

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
I have 4 5/8, 5 1/2 and 6 1/2.
I prefer the way the 5 1/2 balances more than any other, particularly if it is SS rather than blued. I use a pair of them to practice CAS gunfighter shooting instead of using currently more expensive centerfire ammo. They just seem to naturally point better than shorter or longer barrels regardless of gripframe material.

But all lengths have their place. For hunting or longrange plinking I prefer 6 1/2 (or even 9). And the 4 5/8" blued one I fitted with a SS birdshead gripframe is just too much fun!

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
btrumanj":6hhzadgi said:
I kinda like the shorter barrels in the bigger bores but the 6.5" is my choice for the Single Six. I like the longer sight radius and although it may not be a lot, the extra velocity in the .22. :)
Agree. When my original SS - blue/5.5" - was stolen, I replaced it with a 6.5" Stainless; (bottom gun in my avatar). While the latter doesn't look as nice as a shorter barrel, IMHO, it shoots better.

Latest posts