Which gun would you use for deer?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RSIno1

Hunter
4 - 3 - 1 - 2 for shooting at 50 yards open sights are fine. If you've got old eyes like mine you may want a scope past 75 yards.

I'd also wager that a Winchester lever action in 30-30 is America's official deer rifle.

Dan in MI

Staff member
I've been killing MI deer with pointy sticks and a recurve since the mid 70's so what do I know. I have on occasion gone gun hunting (handgun) 41 mag and 357 maximum work well. If you're in the market for a new rifle I'd look hard at a 350 legend. Accurate, deadly and low recoil. Perfect for MI's shorter ranges. All my muzzleloader friends are old school genuine BP and caps.

langenc

Single-Sixer
Season is long over but the shotgun sounds like best choice.

If your thinking new rifle consider the 350 Legend, good to 125 yds or so OR the 450 Bushmaster to 200+ yards.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
There are "GI Equivalent" loads for the Garand that won't bend the bolt rod. Use one of those. Or pull the bullets from the FMJ and replace with soft points. definitely, np hollow points in the AR=sight in with some QUALITY soft points.

However, I am used to hunting mule deer which are a lot sturdier and hardy than white tails.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Or use Garand specific load data , substituting a hunting bullet of appropriate weight .

bookemdano

Single-Sixer
My suggestion would be the shotgun, but rather than the smoothbore, get the rifled barrel and shoot sabots.... they are more accurate than slugs, shoot much flatter, and are easily good for 100+ yards. You can get the rifled barrel either with iron sights or a cantilever mount for a scope. If you want to hunt ducks, geese, or upland birds, all you need is a different barrel and you're in business.
Here's my suggestion for up to 150 yards. I picked up an older model Rem 870
and bought a new Rifled barrel with rifle style sights. I put a B-Square receiver scope
mount on it and an old Tasco Pronghorn 4 power scope on it. Shooting
3 inch 3/4 ounce Federal Sabots I can put 5 rounds in a 1.5 inch circle at 50 yds. Built
this gun 20 yrs ago and it's still my go to deer or pig gun. With this set up, from 25 to
125 yds, it's within 2 inches of zero. At 150 its 3 inches low. Still well within limits for
deer or hogs. At 125 yd it's packing 1600 ft/lbs of energy. Best combination you
can get in my opinion and the reason a lot of Alaskan and African guides carry
one for dangerous game.
Dano
Rem 870 w rifled deer bbl.JPG

Diabloman

Single-Sixer
I'm just getting into deer hunting. No luck yet. I don't yet own a dedicated deer rifle yet. Here are my current options. What would you hunt with?

1. Mossberg 500 shotgun with 24" smooth bore barrel and rifle sights. Foster slugs. (My current choice. Good out to 50 meters)

2. Ruger AR556 with 5 round magazine and expensive hollow points. Scope.

3. Mosin Nagant rifle with surplus FMJ 7.62x54r rounds. Iron sights.

4. M1 Garand CMP service grade with FMJ 30.06 surplus rounds. Iron sights.

All choices are legal in Michigan to hunt deer.
1894 WINCHESTER in 30/30....!