Which Glock mags for my PC Carbine?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BearBiologist

Buckeye
My wife (me?) has several extra mags for her G-17 and 30+ mags and one drum for her PC9. I have several (~10 or 12) for my AR556, including one drum. Reflecting back, I would NOT get the drums as they are heavy and cumbersome.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
My wife (me?) has several extra mags for her G-17 and 30+ mags and one drum for her PC9. I have several (~10 or 12) for my AR556, including one drum. Reflecting back, I would NOT get the drums as they are heavy and cumbersome.
I agree 110%. I use 20 rd in my AR's and Ak's because they make it so much easier to use, maneuver, bench or prone.

I prefer shorter mags in the Ruger PC... I have some 30 rd originals but rarely use one. If you think you need one you really need to ask yourself why and be honest. Expecting the world to collapse? When? Why? just MHO!

Nothing wrong with having a few larger mags (20, 30, 50 rd), as long as they're reliable. I like the Magpul 9mm mags, and have used their 12 rd (G26), 15 rd (G19), and 21 rd versions with zero problems of any kind. Even the 21 rd mags hang down more than I like, which is why I haven't bought anything larger; I think the 15s are my favorite, maybe because I'm used to 15 round mags in my handguns, and they also remind me of the 15 rd mags I prefered with an M1 Carbine I used to own.

mikeAZ

Single-Sixer
BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK!!... Buy the ETS mags. They vary in capacity. 17 to 40 rounds.. I shoot in competition weekly. I use mostly the 40 rounders, whether or not I need all the capacity... .Usually no mag change required during a course of fire. AND the good thing is they are about $12.00 to $15.00 each AND they are warrantied AND WORK!!!..... Search the "net", BoTech and others stock them.... Now, if 40 rounds isn't enough?, MBX, and Taylor-Freelance, others have extensions w/ springs to get you over 50 rounds..... Be a little cautious in your ammo choice!, Glock mags seem to like a shorter over all length, to long and they will "nose" over and jam. I reload so I can tailor the bullet to what works for me. Mike

LDM

Blackhawk
I bought three 30-round Glock 17 mags for my PC-9.. Along with two 10-rounders. They all work well.

I don't know how the bolt catch works on the Ruger carbine but many of the aftermarket mags will not activate the last round bolt catch on my AR9 platforms that contact the follower at the left front corner. The followers on the knock off mags are or may be different resulting in 'iffy' LRBHO function. All of the Korean mags required significant sanding to remove material from the sides in order to fit the magwells of my guns whether they use a magwell insert or are specifically designed for GLOCK mags.
I like the JAG magazines which allow me to 'color code' for different ammo types.

NikA

Buckeye
BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK!!... Buy the ETS mags
I found that the shape of the ETS mags near the feed lips interferes with the lower on my PCC AR-type 45. Luckily I only bought one the try out.

IME, only factory Glock and SGM mags have fit properly, and the factory springs on the large SGM are too soft to feed reliably loaded over 20 rounds. I hear they have stronger springs available but I haven't got around to pursuing that option yet, as the factory Glock mags are the right balance of capacity and size for my current needs.

zaitcev

Bearcat
I don't know how the bolt catch works on the Ruger carbine but many of the aftermarket mags will not activate the last round bolt catch on my AR9 platforms that contact the follower at the left front corner. The followers on the knock off mags are or may be different resulting in 'iffy' LRBHO function. All of the Korean mags required significant sanding to remove material from the sides in order to fit the magwells of my guns whether they use a magwell insert or are specifically designed for GLOCK mags.
I like the JAG magazines which allow me to 'color code' for different ammo types.
The LRBHO in Ruger PCC is something that I had to examine in detail, because I developed magwell adapters for SIG P320 magazines. I think it is a more robust mechanism than found in AR9 most of the time. Its kinematic scheme is resilient against the variation in Ruger's own manufacturing as well as in shapes of magazine followers. Also, it does not depress the follower unnecessarily as the last round is fed. If I needed to say something critical, it's that the location of the stop bar along the left side of the magazine precludes the use of Glock's natural overtravel stop. Therefore, Glock magazines must overtravel upon the ejector in Ruger PCC, and some shooters reload so energetically that they bend the thick chunk of stamped steel.

Son dragged out his new to him KelTec folding carbine last evening but I didn't have time to study if/how that platform has LRBHO. I did show him the difference between some of the knock-off mags and the GLOCK OEM.
With some of the AR9 designs, a failure to activate the LRBHO also ties up the magazine requiring some fiddling to release the empty mag w/o damaging the bolt catch activation link. One I have is extremely finnicky but does function properly with OEM mags so all of those are marked for use in that gun. In real life use, I wasted $75 on the LRBHO and would simply discard it in a combat scenario. Better to have a click on empty chamber than have an empty mag tying up the gun.

Since I don't have a Glock, but have two Security 9's, I stuck with the Ruger mags in my PC carbine. Between the 3 guns I have a dozen 15-round magazines.

I also added a set of fiber optic sights from Tandemkross. For me they are much quicker than the factory sights. I also have a Streamlight laser/light attached under the forearm. It is a blast to shoot. Mine seems to like the 147 grain ammo best, but it shoots 115's and 124's almost as accurately. It has been 100% reliable with everything I shoot through it.