Which caliber handgun would you buy?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

riley

Bearcat
Which caliber handgun would you buy, based on the availability and cost of the ammo?
Keep in mind thinking of self defense.
:?:

96/44

Blackhawk
Based only on cost and availability of ammo, 9mm is the clear choice. It is not the most powerful, but there are a lot of good SD rounds out there now. There is also the advantage of greater magazine capacity in the same size gun vs. a .40 or .45. Or a smaller gun w/the same capacity.

tookalisten

Blackhawk
Agree - 9mm due to cost of ammo, availability, and function. Also, the cheaper cost and availability will allow you to practice more - which improves function.

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
96/44 ... On the basis of price and availability of ammo only, a 9mm would be the clear winner. With that said, it's obvious that you're thinking about the potential of protecting your life here, so the real issue is ... do you have confidence in a 9mm in the event that you actually have to shoot someone in self defense some day? While many do (including me when I first started carrying), I changed to .45s for my daily carry and home defense needs a couple of years ago, as I feel they give me the best chance. Good luck with your decision.

Fishslayer

Single-Sixer
.45 ACP. Ammo's around. Yeah, you pay for it, tho, if you'r local Wally World doesn't stock it.

If I can't gitter done with 8 or 9 rounds of .45 I ain't gonna do it with 10 rds (PRK, remember... :cry: ) of 9mm.

There's always the 12GA under the bed, tho... :lol:

Having said that, I have a .357 wheelgun in PRK jail right now...

MountainGator

Single-Sixer
Fishslayer":2hdghrjw said:
.45 ACP. Ammo's around. Yeah, you pay for it, tho, if you'r local Wally World doesn't stock it.

If I can't gitter done with 8 or 9 rounds of .45 I ain't gonna do it with 10 rds (PRK, remember... :cry: ) of 9mm.

There's always the 12GA under the bed, tho... :lol:

Having said that, I have a .357 wheelgun in PRK jail right now...

Is someone holding that .357 to your head making you stay in PRK? :wink:
I do agree w/ you. IF you have a 10 rnd limit, then any advantage of a high capacity magazine capability is negated. imho, if the situation is "out in the open SD", then I feel that a 5 shot .357 "is enough". However, if you're talking HD - and specifically against Home Invasion (and if you don't hijack the thread and talk about shotguns) then I'll take 31 rounds out of 1 Mag change with my P95-15 vice 29 rounds out of a 1911 w/ 4 mag changes.

How long is the waiting period in the PRK?

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
"PRK jail" is 10 days wait. There're a lot of good solid reasons why a lot of us are still stuck in the PRK, an even dozen of mine being grandchildren.

That said, my caliber choices out here in the west are 45 ACP and for revolver use 44/45 Colt - all three loaded to essentially the same levels.

For the other side of the Great Divide I believe the 45 ACP and/or 357 magnum suffice.

I am simply NOT a 9mm fan... nossir!

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
I think for all 'round reliability it's hard to beat the 9MM. However my favorite has to be the .45ACP. And that's because I find this particular round so much fun to reload my own ammo for. From a defensive stand point I seriously doubt if there is that much difference between these two rounds. :wink:

tightgrouper

Bearcat
9mm. Very clear and easy decision for me.
-Ammo availability.
-Inexpensive ammo everywhere.
-Widest variety of ammo. Pick your poison. From $9 target ammo, to +P state-of-the-art SD rounds that will get the job done.
-Can't forget capacity. The 9mm is great in this department as well.
9mm is the correct answer sir.

P90

Single-Sixer
First CCW I bought for carry was a 9MM. Didn't like the Caliber. Sold it and bought a .45ACP and like it. No way would I go back to a 9MM. I also hunt with a .45Colt Revolver and like it. If I can't stop a Man or Beast with a .45 then a 9MM sure wouldn't do it.

Fishslayer

Single-Sixer
Old Judge Creek":3tg25a3p said:
"PRK jail" is 10 days wait.

10 days (usually 11 as a CYA for the dealer) for a new gun.
Up to 30 days for a consignment.

Untill I can get my brand new KP90 sorted out or get really good at throwing it accurately I wanted a .357 wheelgun...

tightgrouper

Bearcat
Ultimately. for self defense. Since I can see where this is heading. The most important aspect of SD is shot placement. Wheather you're carrying a .32, .380, 9mm, .357, .45...shot placement.
There are folks that can DRT an intruder very quickly w/.32 while someone else still attempting to place a good round with their trusty .45. It's all about shot placement when it comes to any handgun.

When it comes to caliber. You have 2 categories.- small calibers and large calibers. And shot placement is everything when dealing with both. If you have a problem stopping a "bad guy" with a 9mm. You'll have the same problem stopping the bad guy with a .45.
Some folks compare 9mm & .45 as if they're comparing a .22short with a .308. It's flat ridiculous.
We're living in modern times of excellent round selection. 9mm is far from what it was in 1937. I can understand some folks just have a better sense of security with a .45. It's a hell of a round. Now, if someone has a lacking sense of security with a 9mm, that's purely a false sense of insecurity. The 9mm round options of today are just as competant for self defense.

Mandan

Bearcat
I use an LCR with .38 SPL +P, 125gr JHP for carry. The "house gun" is a .357 six shot loaded with the same cartridge. Semi-auto's are great and most of them are pretty reliable. Revolvers are alot closer to 100% than any semi.
If it's life or death I want as close to 100% as I can get!

Mandan

Bearcat
IF YA JUST GOTTA have a semi-auto I don't think you can do any better tha the 45 ACP. "The bigger the hole the faster they bleed!"
My P345 has been very dependable. It shoots very well. But I still think a double action revolver is more dependable! Is no safety when your half asleep in middle of the night. No having to try and rack the slide if a round fails to fire. Point and pull trigger till target is finished.

tightgrouper

Bearcat
There are truly way too many variables to plan for.
Your trusty revolver isn't worth anything if the intruder simply puts his hand around the gun. Bye bye double action. bye bye any action from that revolver. It would go from close to 100% reliable to zero with a hold of the cylinder.

aaronrb204

Bearcat
While I generally go with 9x19 for most purposes, if I were starting now I would probably go with a revolver. It has nothing to do with shooting them better or any sort of reliability issue. I say this solely because with the war going on and companies making more ammo for the military, 9x19 can be hard to find from time to time. So buying a .357mag revolver would be my choice. Every store has some .38spl or .357mag ammo around. And it is a better choice for defense against 4 legged critters too.

tightgrouper

Bearcat
aaronrb204":35vjkcw6 said:
While I generally go with 9x19 for most purposes, if I were starting now I would probably go with a revolver. It has nothing to do with shooting them better or any sort of reliability issue. I say this solely because with the war going on and companies making more ammo for the military, 9x19 can be hard to find from time to time. So buying a .357mag revolver would be my choice. Every store has some .38spl or .357mag ammo around. And it is a better choice for defense against 4 legged critters too.

Fairfax, VA must be opposite town. 9x19 is the most readily available and affordable ammo I see in every town/city for about 400sq/miles, as well as internet ammo supply. Also, everyone claims it most available around the country. Heck, you can even find 9mm at Wal-Mart several times a week. That's a task. The only round that's as available as 9mm is .223. The other NATO round. This is why these rounds are so available.
NATO rounds are produced on a massive production basis. One reason is hopes of winning military contracts. During war-time, NATO ammo is locked down by contract. This doesn't effect ammo availability for everyone else. NATO ammo is produced specifically for the military. Then you have ammo for retail, and allot of NATO ammo even makes it to certain retail outlets adding more available to the general civilian consumer. The only ammo that has come to compete with 9mm availability is the .40S&W, and that is, again, due to the fact that .40S&W has become somewhat-of-a public safety/service round. .40 is another one that I see on the shelf of Wal-Mart more than any other pistol caliber.

I am seeing other ammo, .32, .38, .357mag, etc...availability coming back to normal in the gun stores though. I even saw a box of .357magnum in Wal-Mart a couple wks ago.