Which ammo for Conceal Carry?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kingarthur

Bearcat
I have a Ruger SP101 in 357 and wanted to know what ammo is preferred by other SP101 users.

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
I use 38 Special+P, with soft lead hollowpoints, 158 grains, out of a 3", 357Mag. Model 60, S&W.

Earl.

DGW1949

Hunter
I don't have a 101, but do carry a small-frame S&W ever now and then.
For self defence out of a small revolver, I prefer a standard velocity 158 lead SCW over the big-boomer loads.

But that's just me.

DGW

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Try a variety and see what works best for YOU and your gun. The greatest whiz-bang load in the world is useless if you can't shoot it accurately.
That said, I like 125gr Federal Hi_shok in mine.

Pal Val

Buckeye
+1 to BlkHwk73. I load Hornady 158 gr XTP with 15gr H4227. It's sort of mid-range for .357 mag, fine for a 3" bbl SP101.

My wife likes the Federal 125 gr .38+p's It kicks a lot less than my handloads.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
If the recoil and blast aren't too disturbing, then any of the high performance 125 gr bullet loads in .357 mag are by far the most effective defense loads. Gold Dot, Golden Saber, etc will all work about the same.

If these are too violent, the same 125 gr high performance loads in .38 Special +P are the best alternative.

azrugershooter

Single-Sixer
I carry either Federal 125gr "hi shok" (just thier standard HP load) in the warmer months in AZ (which is most of the year LOL) and 125 gr gold dots when ever it gets cold???

Gentlemen...and Ladies too,

If you want to really kill your assailant instantly and not have a round keep going through them into the person across the room or on the other side of a wall...especially if you miss your first shot and hit a wall, then you might want to consider Extreme Shock available in lots of calibers. I have the .38s for my 3" SP101. These rounds have orange plastic tips and put all their energy in to the first thing they hit. I shot a round from about 7 feet into a one gallon jug of water with an eight inch paper plate right behind it. The jug exploded, I got wet from the water...expect lots of blood in a real time scenario...and the plate got sprayed with water AND powder stains...no holes. I believe even a shoulder or thigh hit would kill an assailant instantly from the shock action alone. Expensive rounds, 6 rounds were $11. My gun store's employees are required to load it when working. www.extremeshockusa.com

ncspeedsix

Single-Sixer
bobsleatherworks":kza4ktst said:
Gentlemen...and Ladies too,

If you want to really kill your assailant instantly and not have a round keep going through them into the person across the room or on the other side of a wall...especially if you miss your first shot and hit a wall, then you might want to consider Extreme Shock available in lots of calibers. I have the .38s for my 3" SP101. These rounds have orange plastic tips and put all their energy in to the first thing they hit. I shot a round from about 7 feet into a one gallon jug of water with an eight inch paper plate right behind it. The jug exploded, I got wet from the water...expect lots of blood in a real time scenario...and the plate got sprayed with water AND powder stains...no holes. I believe even a shoulder or thigh hit would kill an assailant instantly from the shock action alone. Expensive rounds, 6 rounds were $11. My gun store's employees are required to load it when working. www.extremeshockusa.com

Would that gun store be Davi's?

Redhawk4

Single-Sixer
I don't have an SP101, but I use Double Tap Ammo. 158 gr 357 mag at 1300 fps from a 2 1/2" barrel in my Smith 686 plus and their 125 gr 38 Spl +P at 1150 fps from the 2" barrel of a Taurus 605. Both work great in short barrels and are priced decently for 50 so you can afford to try them out.

kingarthur

Bearcat
WendyZXZ":1phptuvf said:
My carry load for my SP101 .357 3" is Remington Golden Saber rounds. They are a mid power load that is quite comfortable to shoot. :)

Think I might try the Golden Sabers if I can every find them. My other pick will be the Buffalo Bore 158...they sound good.

I saw some of those extremeshock but just haven't heard of many people using them. Might check into those too

kingarthur":2tz9j11z said:
Think I might try the Golden Sabers if I can every find them. My other pick will be the Buffalo Bore 158...they sound good.

I saw some of those extremeshock but just haven't heard of many people using them. Might check into those too

They are not too bad on the recoil side. 125 grain and the velocities that I have seen advertised are roughly 1200 + FPS. Not full powered, but still pretty potent.

I would pick a mid range power load or a HOT .38 Special.

Latest posts