Which .44 mag powder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

New To This Forum, But Not To Reloading, Have Used All the Above to Reload, No Favorite, But Have Plenty of The New Kid on The Block !!! Power Pro 300MP, No Magnum Primers Required, Works Best With Heavy For Caliber Bullets !!! Good in My .41, .44 and 45 Colt Loads , Also in Heavy 357 Loads !!! My New Favorite !!!

langenc

Single-Sixer
I couldn't find H110 but Jays did have W296 so I bought that for my new 77/44.

Im using 240 gr Sierras w/ 22 to 23 gr. Waiting for some cast 250s to try.

se3388

Bearcat
I use Lil'Gun in my 357 Maxi (it seems tailor made for it) and H110 in my 44 mag and 45 Colt along IMR 4227.

Steve..........

Amistad

Single-Sixer
Huhwhat? said:
I have 100 brand new .44 mag brass to fill. Probably with 240 gr. Hornady XTPs...
I note that about 7 months have passed since this was first posted so any interested readers may have passed by and gone on to other things. But on the off chance that it may be of help to someone, I'll offer a comment. When using these Hornady 240 gr HP/XTP bullets, my favorite load for my Super Blackhawk .44 Mag uses 23.0 gr of H110. The OAL is 1.60. When using the lighter 200 gr Hornady HP/XTP bullets, I set the charge at 27.5 grains of H110. These work really well for me...

Clear sights and straight shootin' to ya!

Amistad

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
sliclee said:
Jimbo-have you ever killed a deer with a 240 that load
????? No. I shoot targets and I have shot a bunch of them with 240gr XTPs in front of 24.0gr of H-110. What does it matter if I have killed a Deer with it? The OP asked about 240gr XTPs and H-110 and Lil'Gun not hunting Deer.

langenc

Single-Sixer
Im using W296-supposedly the same as H110-

with Sierra 240s (#8610)and 22 or 22.5 grs to 1.60 and 'some crimp'. In my 77/44 Im getting practically 4" 'groups' at 50 yrds?? Gun is new and Im at about 60 rounds down range w/ it. What is wrong??

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
langenc said:
Im using W296-supposedly the same as H110-

with Sierra 240s (#8610)and 22 or 22.5 grs to 1.60 and 'some crimp'. In my 77/44 Im getting practically 4" 'groups' at 50 yrds?? Gun is new and Im at about 60 rounds down range w/ it. What is wrong??
Lots of people have had accuracy problems with the 77-44. It is not a rifle cartridge and as such you will never get that kind of accuracy. From what I have heard the 2-piece bolt is part of it. Perhaps some other problems might be pressure on the barrel or loose stock mounting, the barrel could be defective or maybe it just doesn't like the load. I would buy some factory Federal 240gr classic ammo and see how they shoot. Perhaps you can search for some tips as I have see this problem discusses many times on the forum.

I have two 44 mag rifles (not a 77-44) and they both shoot about 2"-3" at 50 yards and I am happy with them. :D

langenc

Single-Sixer
Im just going to shoot some more and see what difference that makes. Just ordered another 100 bullets so...

Id read where they wouldn't shoot, couple yrs ago. Then lately they were reported better so I jumped in. Previously the barrels were blamed but that was supposed to have been fixed when Ruger started to make their own barrels.. guess not.

I wanted it for woods deer gun, 75 yrds or a little more.. If it don't improve Ill unload it and try a pistol, perhaps.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
langenc said:
Im just going to shoot some more and see what difference that makes. Just ordered another 100 bullets so...

Id read where they wouldn't shoot, couple yrs ago. Then lately they were reported better so I jumped in. Previously the barrels were blamed but that was supposed to have been fixed when Ruger started to make their own barrels.. guess not.

I wanted it for woods deer gun, 75 yrds or a little more.. If it don't improve Ill unload it and try a pistol, perhaps.
Yes the newer guns with the synthetic stock were supposed to shoot much better. I don't know the reason for that but that is what has been reported here. Good luck with your new gun. Keep working with it if you can. :D

What size is your barrel, and what size is the bullet you are shooting? You might try different powders also. I have a 77/44 also that I bought last year. I get 2-4 inch groups at 100 yds with a peep sight off hand. Good luck.
gramps

volshooter

Buckeye
My go to load is 21.5gr of WW296 for both 240JHP and 290 hard cast WFN. Both provide great groups from my SBH and the Marlin. I can hit 6 inch steel, open sights at 150 yards with authority from the Marlin. The SBH is well, deadly at yardage I can hit. I have dubbed the 290 loads "hog hammers". When first tested they averaged 1550fps.
Just today I prepped 300 cases for the WFN projectiles.
Yes they don't expand but shoot great groups and produce 2 leaking holes.
When I do choose to hunt with the 44 I want serious medicine. To many hogs and bears around to use JHP for me.
The JHP and 110 or 296 makes a very good deer load for our area. With the hard cast you might have to track 15 yards further but dead is dead.
I prefer the hard cast. I have tracked several deer shot with XTP's that were recovered but no bullet exit. Quite often the semi expanded slug was just under the hide, often extremely deformed from bone hit and little blood trail.
Was surprised by another bear last week. Bear showed no sighs of agression but I was glad I had hard cast able to go from nose to rear.

SonofBassMan

Bearcat
Just happy with Accurate #9 and either 240 JHP or 250 cast flat nose SWC gas check at moderate velocities. I have also used lots of 2400. My impression is that H110 and 296 are intended for max or near max loads. ACC #9 fills the case up just right for the modest velocities that suit my needs. Enough roll crimp so the bullets never back out when fired in my Super Black Hawk at about 1100 fps.

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
I use 10 gr. of Universal with a 240 gr. SWC in my 5.5" SBH. Is there much of a gain in using 2400 ( 18.5 up to 21 gr. ) in the 5.5" barrel ? Or would it be un-burned powder with only a few fps gain in velocity ? Thanks.

langenc

Single-Sixer
Mine is a 77/44--18.5 in barrel. Im loading W296 w/ Sierra 240 gr jacketed bullets (#8610) w/ some crimp-see below. COL 1.60"-righ in the cannelure. I obtained some cast and will get on them this week. If they work Ill probably gedt some Beartooth or Meister--275 gr or so. Suggestions? This would be a deer gun-nice deer here weigh about 150-175-live, maybe an occasional one a little heavier but not often--lots of public land. If it is brown, it is down attitude.

How much crimp is heavy?? Im using RCBS w/ the built in crimper and the crimp adjustment is about 3/8 turn after the die contacts the case. Is that heavy??

volshooter

Buckeye
With the .44 mag as well as other max loads/calibers, max crimp is important for anything less than single shots.
Honestly my reason for the push for WW296 comes from the amount I have as well as the results I get.

langenc

Single-Sixer
The Nosler manual (#6, I believe) mentions in the 44 mag section that the techs at Nosler have come to really like H110 for the 44 mag.

sixshot

Buckeye
Gramps, if you're getting 2-4 inch groups at 100 yds offhand with iron sights they need to call you Quigley not Gramps! Thats some fancy shooting, congratulations!!

Dick

volshooter

Buckeye
gr. for gr. there is no difference between H110 and WW296. Same grains with so close velocity it is not worth mentioning. I have used both with no noticeable difference. I happen to come upon a good deal for several pounds of 296 and took it. If I were starting from scratch I would look at the price difference as the results are the same. I'm sure there are several fine powders that can do as well, but hey, I still use Bullseye and Unique. They work, why change.