Which 10/22 should I get.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sharpshooter922

Bearcat
Hi everyone,

After soothing a 1934 Winchester .22 I decided I really love the way a .22 shoots and I would like one myslef. I was recommended to get a 10/22. After reading some reviews they sound like a very nice gun so. So i went to buy one. I figured this would be pretty simple but its really not. THERE ARE TONES TO CHOSE FROM. And I don't know which one to get but im sure there are a few 10/22 vetts out here that would lend me some advice.

Here is what I am looking for in this gun. Cheap as possible but I dont mind to spending a litte extra where it it worth it (just please explain why its worth it... I have always been a handgun guy :oops: ). And I would like the most accurate gun possible. This is very important to me. I will be doing most of my sooting at 100+ yards... yes i can do it with a .22 After about 100 rounds sighting in the winchester i was able to pick off popcans without a miss. 8) Ok one miss here and there but who doesn;t :D

So with that said what do you think would be best.

Another though is what barrel lenght is best.

Also I am ok with the regular rifle style or carbine just not pink lol.

Oh and are their accessories for this gun that would make it better for accurate shooting. Like a different barrel or something?

Thanks for all of your help in advance... I really need it and Im getting excited just thinking about a new gun lol.

Double Maduro

Single-Sixer
Sharpshooter,

Welcome to the forums.

There are tons of accesories for the 10/22 and it is infinitly customizable.

You really should re-think the Pink. The good folks at Ruger know that most of these will be used by young, first time, and mostly female shooters and give them extra attention. What better way to get someone interrested in shooting than to give them an especially accurate firearm to start with?

All of us who shoot varmints with the 10/22 have gone with the pink. It is just that much more accurate, and it seems that if you take a little time and camo the pink stock, it is virtually invisible to varmints.

If you think that you are going to customize it anyway, get a stock carbine and go from there. You won't be sorry.

Best of luck and let us know what you decide,
DM

:twisted:

sharpshooter922

Bearcat
Double Maduro":2u15jlf8 said:
Sharpshooter,

Welcome to the forums.

There are tons of accesories for the 10/22 and it is infinitly customizable.

You really should re-think the Pink. The good folks at Ruger know that most of these will be used by young, first time, and mostly female shooters and give them extra attention. What better way to get someone interrested in shooting than to give them an especially accurate firearm to start with?

All of us who shoot varmints with the 10/22 have gone with the pink. It is just that much more accurate, and it seems that if you take a little time and camo the pink stock, it is virtually invisible to varmints.

If you think that you are going to customize it anyway, get a stock carbine and go from there. You won't be sorry.

Best of luck and let us know what you decide,
DM

:twisted:

I do suppose the Pink stock really could give me an advantage when shootin little critters... To bad its really just gonna be for the target... :D

Welcome to the forum.
I have a couple of them and it's really a matter of personal preference. The 10/22 is has such a following that I have heard there are more aftermarket parts for it that just about any other rifle.
From ruger they offer it in a target model, blue and with stainless. If you are looking for an accurate version, that is what I would get. If you decide you want to customize it to your style, then get the base model with the synthetic stock. You can change out bbl, stock, trigger group, mag release, bolt stop, bolt handle, extractor, - and on and on.
All mine are basically stock with only a few aftermarket parts. I recommend the extended mag release and the poly bolt stop / buffer.

Rimfirecentral web site has a whole section of forums dedicated just to the 10/22. check them out too.

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

Buy a basic (cheapest) 10/22 all the things you will need to make it 'better' you can and will add later. Not to put Ruger down, I love the company, but all the stuff they add on to a factory 10/22 are pretty much for show.

I hate to admit it, but one of the fun things about owning 10/22s (note I used the plural) is all the money you can spend on aftermarket parts. The rifle is made so that we can all be pretend gun smiths. pretty much the little sister of the AR15.