Where to get Steel gripframe and ERH

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
I have a custom old model flattop . 357 that I want a steel gripframe (prefer the original XR3 size) and steel ejector rod housing for. What's our best source for such? Will the new model flattop gripframes work (or can they be made to work) on an old model gun? Will Ruger sell you a gripframe? Thanks for any help.
Ken

contender

Ruger Guru
In the Old Models,, the Super Blackhawk & Old Army grip frames are steel.

To make a New Model grip frame work, you have to custom make a piece to make the trigger return spring work. It's not hard, and easily installed. Basically a piece that rides in the NM trigger spring groove, and is attached by a cross pin. It has a hole in it for the OM trigger return spring & plunger. I'll see if I can post a picture of one.

contender

Ruger Guru
003.JPG

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I've done what you want at least a dozen times for my old model Rugers and some of my friend's.

First the grip frame: as Contender posted above, there's no old model XR3 size steel grip frame. But there's plenty of New Model XR3 size steel grip frames used on the New Vaquero and New Model Flattop Blackhawks.
The early NM XR3 frames until 2012 have the internal lock which doesn't affect installing it on an old model.
If you don't want the lock, get one that looks like your grip frame internally. They can be found in this forum's classifieds or post a want ad there, or ebay and gunbroker.

They usually fit to your mainframe very closely but not perfect, except for the grip frame "ears" on both sides of hammer: they'll need shortening of about 1/16". You can do the fitting of the grip frame to your gun and touch up with cold blue or have it reblued. Another option is a stainless grip frame: you can fit it and and then polish it. Some like the look.

You can buy a new XR3 from Ruger but it will come in the white, need a lot of fitting because they're oversize, and then have it blued.

THE ONLY ADAPTATION NEEDED FOR A NEW MODEL GRIP FRAME TO AN OLD MODEL IS THE TRIGGER AND RETURN SPRING as contender mentioned.
Another very much simpler option:
You can use a fired .22 LR case to hold the OM return spring and plunger in place. Use the NM trigger return spring retaining/pivot pin closest to the trigger shown below to hold your OM trigger return spring/plunger and .22 case in place. File a small notch in the .22 case head to nest on the retaining pin. I've done several like this and they've never failed.

The NM grip frame will have a wider trigger slot than the OM. Use an old model wide Super Blackhawk trigger to fill the slot if you want.

The steel ejector housing is easy to find at the places above or order new from Ruger. You want one with the small screw hole same size as yours. All the NM housings use the small hole.

Below is a grip frame made for the lock and another photo lower down bottom showing a Bearcat spring seat that will replace the lock to eliminate it, and at the bottom a home made bypass

1664836379526.png

1664836404278.png

Hope all this helps,

Attachments

• 1664833287620.png
    1664833287620.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 1664833373671.png
    1664833373671.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 1664833967278.png
    1664833967278.png
    4 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

jyo

Single-Sixer
Love those Old Model Flattops---owned quite a few way back when I collected Rugers---down to just two now---one 357 and one 44... Good luck with your project!

Another option is to buy a steel grip frame from Power Custom. Steel and of a two piece design that is almost an exact match to the original XR-3 and you have the option of doing one piece grips. I've used several on custom Ruger projects.