where is the new vaquero weaker?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

maxpress

Buckeye
got a new holster rig and my .45 ov and nv were seeing how they liked there new home. anyway something got to me and i tore them both apart and started comparing them.

cylinder/frame on nv is shorter

topstrap: same

cylinder diameter: same

cylinder walls: same

course the xr3 grips are smaller but everything that contains the boom seems to be the same thickness.

i dont plan on souping the loads up in either one. im just curious.

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
So, you're saying that except for a different gripframe and a shorter sylinder/frame, they're the same gun?

Are they "pretty close", or are they "exactly" the same? How did you measure them to do the comparison?

Honestly, I haven't compared the two, but I figure there has to be a reason that folks started blowing them up using "Ruger only" loads that are shot through the original Vaquero without issue. It didn't take long after they were introduced, either.

Daryl

GaryA

Single-Sixer
That's interesting. Not based upon my own measurements, there is information out there disputing your measurements. This is from Jeff Quinn's "Gunblast" where he gives Vaquero and New Vaquero cylinder diameter measurements as follows:

Vaquero - 1.732 inches
New Vaquero - 1.675 inches

He also lists the New Vaquero cylinder as shorter, as do you, but does not address cylinder walls or topstrap although the cylinder walls in the photos he published certainly "look" thinner to the naked eye.

Interesting post. I hope people follow up on your observations and comments.

My New Vaqueros are in .357 so I'm not concerned about strength but I'm still hoping Ruger will do a run of .45 convertibles based upon the New Vaquero.

oh well, I was bored so I took a "new" battery and put it in my cheapie digital mics and here we go, off the top of our head, NOT governmenbt approved, NASA air gauge instruments, but works for us......
the
New, "New Vaquero versus, the "old' Vaquero............

frame thickness "new" .440' old .488
hammer spur length 1.385 " 1.145 log
grips panel 1.388 1.545
front of the cyl frame.. .610 .583
top strap .218/220 same
frame window up& down 1.700 1.757
frm window, frontto back 1.750 1.893
recoil shield width 1.645 1.660
cyl length 1.625 1.665
cyl width 1.680 1.745
barrel dia .740 same

oh well, that s enough for now, inother words, the "new" one is absolutely ,dimensionally smaller.................
this is NOT a "consumer products gun test, your milage may vary........." nor intended for publication, or even rebuttal, as Grandpa told us....."do it yourself...." :roll:
oh by the way, close your eyes and hold one in each hand and one can "feel" ( sense) the difference..........

maxpress

Buckeye
yeah theres no doubt that the ov is heavier.

haha, yeah ive read some of quinns stuff.

what im wondering is if i got one of the "transitions" models or if there is such a thing. shorten some cylinders we have in stock and fit them to our new frame type thing. it was a nib when i bought it.

flatgate

Hawkeye
maxpress,

I would not think any such "transition" gun would exist.

If your revolver has "New Vaquero" rollmarked on the cylinder frame
then, in my not so humble opinion, you should treat it as a "mid frame"
firearm and not subject it to "high pressure" loads.

No sense in having some unwanted trouble.

flatgate

maxpress

Buckeye
oh no flatgate. i have no use for high pressure loads in the .45. i have an ov .44 for that. this is just a question of curiosity. besides i think the .45 can take care of just about anything that roams washington st.

thanks for the info and messurments all i just took rough messurements cause my mics are in a box somewhere.

im sure you are in the know about if there would be a transition gun and i respect your opnion flatgate.

i guess the other question would be if ruger is using a different steel with these now. that would cause a kaboom.

Dale53

Blackhawk
maxpress;
As long as you load to standard .45 Colt pressures you will have NO problems with the New Vaquero. It just is not designed to take "Ruger only" loads that were developed for the Vaquero and BlackHawk.

Dale53

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

Forget about frame measurements. The cylinder is the pressure vessel in any revolver. The frame is what houses the cylinder, but other than needing to stand up to the pounding of recoil, the frame has nothing to do with how powerful a round the gun can safely digest.

Measure again. You will find there is more meat between the chambers at their narrowest point in the 'old model' Vaquero than there is in the New Vaquero.