Where is the MKIV Standard pistol...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have been waiting for Ruger to introduce their FIRST firearm, I.e. The Standard Pistol (fixed sight) in the MKIV line up for months without satisfaction...I do believe that 2017 is the first year the standard model has not been available since October 1949...

Has anyone else noticed this...and does it bother you that Ruger has no apparent sense of history?

I was thinking they are just releasing the highest price models first to maximize profits but now I am wondering why it's taking so long, perhaps the recall delayed the introduction or could it be possible they aren't going to make a fixed sight (Standard) version any longer?

REP1954

Blackhawk
I also am wanting a 4 3/4" Standard MKIV. One of the blued ones with the aluminum frame. I think the balance would be spot on. Maybe one of the distributors will jump in and offer it. I now shoot a Volquartsen Target frame with a MKII 4 3/4" Standard upper on it but would still like to have the MKIV Ruger version.

woodpuppy

Single-Sixer
I'd be more interested in a 5-1/4" tapered target version in all stainless (T514).

REP1954

Blackhawk
Ruger seems to do very well with their Vaquero line based on nostalgia as well as Uberti, Pietta, and Pedersoli.

Pat-inCO said:
Any bets, that with MANY decades of history, they market what sells?

Nostalgia is great, but selling product keeps people employed.

The standard pistols have been a perennial best seller and are the introductory/entry level product for Ruger for new shooters....they market what gives them the best profit margins thus they introduce the expensive variations first...I will bet If they introduced the fixed sight MKIV first, they would have broken sales records, but their margins would not have been as good...

I understand how business works...my question was has the original Ruger pistol gone the way of the dodo bird...that's it.

If so, it's sad to me...YMMV.

chet15

Hawkeye
Some day perhaps one of Ruger's distributors will pick up a MKIV-4 or MKIV-6.
Ruger might be surprised by this, but price point also sells guns (referring toungue in cheek on S&W's current offering).
So dropping standard model Mark IV with fixed rear sight should make them more competitive with S&W, especially since most shooters "plink" anyway and don't need adj. sights.
Then again....with everything going on in the Mark IV and dribbling out the like-models of the Mark III as well as the MKIV recall, they may still have plans to do a Standard version of the MKIV.
Chet15

teuthis

Single-Sixer
A stainless version would indeed be something of interest. I have a Mark III Standard model which I would happily replace with a Mark IV!

chet15

Hawkeye
Nh Rugerman....looks like you get your wish...
The MKIV4 (Ruger model 40104) and MKIV6 (Ruger model 40105) were announced today...

http://ruger.com/products/markIVStandard/models.html

And from the pics, it looks like there may be a few 4010 numbered guns out there for each model. Snag them while you can.....

Chet15

So...this confirms my thoughts that they held back on releasing the standard models to sell the more expensive versions first.

I will be getting one of each and I hope we will see stainless versions as well, probably as distributor exclusives.

At least they are calling them STANDARD pistols.

Thanks Ruger, my faith is somewhat restored :lol: :lol:

rangerbob

Buckeye
Not only are they calling them Standard pistols, the word "STANDARD" is stamped on the receiver right behind the ejection port. Lipsey's already has some in stock in both barrel lengths. They are not as pricey as the target/tactical/threaded models. They look good and I have been waiting for one, as well. Bob!! :mrgreen:

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
woodpuppy said:
Come on MKIV514...

That style pistol in the Ruger Mark II version really is a nice piece. Would be a great addition in the Mark IV version, if Ruger ever gets their act back together.

ekcLqpNm.jpg

Does it surprise anyone but me that their new Standard has an aluminum grip frame? The Standard Auto's of the past were a steel grip frame, and it does make a difference.

It is what it is, and I can't change anything, but such aplomb of the resurrection of the Standard Auto, but slipping in an aluminum frame without anyone noticing is kind've sacrilege. 8)

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Suppose since the blued Target lower is Al, they are going with those for blue MK4s, at least for now? That is why I hope they will do a SS version, I prefer the steel lower, and of course I only like SS Ruger handguns.