Where is the "B" in this model number?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

eveled

Hawkeye
I just bought this MKII recently without box or papers. In researching it I found that the model number is as far as I can tell MK512, to me it seems it should have a "B" for the Bull barrel. Is the "B" missing because it did not come with thumbrest grips?

Picture0718151211_1_zps16b8fd72.jpg

My last MKII purchase was a MK4B,
22003_zps83d4b63b.jpg

Even though I am confused, I am tickled pink to have these two.

It is because the MK512 was never anything but a bull barrel model and the MK4 was the original non target, non bull barrel pistol, they had to add the "B" to the bull barrel version thus MK4B...

Hope this helps...

Nice guns

eveled

Hawkeye
Sorry just a Freudian slip to add the "II" to the model number. (I edited the original post). I guess they never had plans for a fixed sight 5-1/2inch barrel. Still they had such a good descriptive system for model numbers for the MKII's they should have stuck with the format.

chet15

Hawkeye
eveled said:
Still they had such a good descriptive system for model numbers for the MKII's they should have stuck with the format.

Yeah...if those models were both still offered today Ruger would be calling them a "0172" and an "0139".
Guess you pretty much need to be a rocket scientist to figure out which is which.
:mrgreen:
Chet15

pete44ru

Hunter

I sold another version I had, the 6-7/8" tapered barrel Mark II MK678 Target like this one, to another forum member, several years ago.

img_2467.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

eveled

Hawkeye
I guess it was a flawed system from the start. pete44ru's gun by the model number looks like it would be tapered barrel, with nothing to indicate target sights.

chet15

Hawkeye
Ruger's catalog number system started out very simple. It wasn't flawed for an upstart company.
The first gun was simply called "RUGER PISTOL".
When the Target model came out with adj. rear sight they called it "TARGET PISTOL".
Then, just like evolution, with more standard models and more target models, you couldn't just call them the same thing, yet they had to remain relatively simple with the system
So they changed the original standard pistol to RST4, and the 6" model became RST6.
The Target pistol became T678 and the 5-1/4" model became T514
Really...Ruger didn't care what they called them...they could have been "Standard 1", Standard 2" and Target 1 and 2.
Chet15

Latest posts