Where does colt build the new revolvers?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jager01

Bearcat
A gunsmith told me that they just use ubertis and refinish them. That was more likely then not just gun shop chest thumping.

Otony

Blackhawk
Chest thumping EXCEPT there is a thin thread of truth in the story.

Back in 1972 I was taking a private tour of the Uberti factory. My parents were both from Italy, and we were spending the summer there. My dad sweet talked the gate-keeper at the Uberti plant and his young daughter into giving us a tour of the place on a nice Sunday afternoon.

I was in 7th heaven looking at all the machinery and guns, but imagine my surprise on finding crates and crates of boxes in a shipping area all addressed to Colt in Hartford! Inside were parts for cap & ball revolvers. The fellow giving us the look see realized what I was looking at and hurried to hustle us out of that area.

Of course this is more or less common knowledge nowadays, that Colt was finishing Uberti parts, but it was only for the re-issue cap & ball guns, not the SAA. Or so we are told.

Gotta tell you though, it would not surprise me to find out that they used some Uberti parts for the SAA, although the open crates I saw only held black powder stuff.

BTW, I did see lots of DA snubby revolvers in that Uberti plant that looked very, very similar to the Detective Special!

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
The SAA never, ever involved Italian parts.

We know the brief run of Colt repro C&B guns did as noted above. Final finish seemed to be stateside.

There is a strong suspicion that the Colt "Cowboy" had some Italian connection, to at least some degree. This was a brief run of a budget SAA clone that had a horrible quality control rep...including too-soft metal, something the Italians do sometimes. The easy way to spot a Cowboy is the transfer-bar safety and frame-mounted firing pin. Every once in a while a dishonest dealer tries to pass one off as an SAA at $1k+. They're worth *maybe* $300...

Both Uberti and Pietta seem to have improved a lot circa Y2k or so but the "Cowboy" was before that.

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
A gunsmith told me that they just use ubertis and refinish them. That was more likely then not just gun shop chest thumping.

Howdy

Absolutely ridiculous. They are made in Hartford. Not under the old Blue Dome, Colt moved out of there some years ago, but they are made in Hartford. As has been mentioned it was the '2nd Gen' Cap & Ball percussion revolvers that used Uberti parts, put together and finished in Hartford.

DGW1949

Hunter
Driftwood Johnson":1655oq4s said:

Howdy

Absolutely ridiculous. They are made in Hartford. Not under the old Blue Dome, Colt moved out of there some years ago, but they are made in Hartford. As has been mentioned it was the '2nd Gen' Cap & Ball percussion revolvers that used Uberti parts, put together and finished in Hartford.

As it turned out, some of them Coltberti revolvers weren't even finished by Colt....but by Iver Johnson.
Some very creative marketing going on there...huh?

DGW

29 Wheelgunner

Single-Sixer
Jager01":3fnkmah1 said:

So many Colt experts and not enough paper to document what they don't know.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Yes, find a new gunsmith! The Single Action Army has only ever been produced by Colt and with domestic parts. Only the 2nd and 3rd generation Colt percussion models involved foreign manufacture. The 2nd being fitted and finished by Colt using Uberti sourced parts. The 3rd being entirely constructed by Iver Johnson.

The new SAA's of the last couple years, the so-called 4th generation guns, are also entirely constructed by Colt. They are also much, much improved over earlier 3rd generation guns. Not as good as a $750 USFA, but much better than they were. So, IMHO, while they cost the same, a new $1200 Colt is a much better gun and thus a much better value than a ten year old $1200 Colt.

gak

Buckeye
Moderators, let's shut this one down. This is the thousandth time this has been addressed either here or in numerous other forums. Although a Ruger-oriented forum, let's make a sticky with one post--by a forum moderator-thay lays this to rest and stops the mis-information (of the OP). It doesn't matter one whit whether Colt had some sort of parts or build history with Uberti on one type of gun at one point, the SAA's been covered. "Where are they built?" Is legitimate. "I hear..." Is not, smacks of trolling and proliferates misleading bunk...which is how it got here. Thanks for the consideration.

Oh, I hear Toyota Camrys are made in Leipzig, Germany and new Impalas made in Zimbabwe?...

Jager01

Bearcat
You are calling me a troll? I even said, "its more likely then not chest thumping" meaning BS. There is no trolling what so ever and is a legitimate question. I have a few Colts and Rugers but i want to know if what I am purchasing is made in America. Im the one fighting for this country so I want to know if my dollar is going into it to help it or if its going over seas. Pardon me for being curious.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
gak":y976y3li said:
Moderators, let's shut this one down. This is the thousandth time this has been addressed either here or in numerous other forums. Although a Ruger-oriented forum, let's make a sticky with one post--by a forum moderator-thay lays this to rest and stops the mis-information (of the OP). It doesn't matter one whit whether Colt had some sort of parts or build history with Uberti on one type of gun at one point, the SAA's been covered. "Where are they built?" Is legitimate. "I hear..." Is not, smacks of trolling and proliferates misleading bunk...which is how it got here. Thanks for the consideration.

Oh, I hear Toyota Camrys are made in Leipzig, Germany and new Impalas made in Zimbabwe?...
THIS IS TOTALLY UNCALLED FOR !!!

DGW1949

Hunter
gak":dxgym5ys said:

I disagree!

Most folks like to know what is is they are buying, where it was made and what it is made from.....and none of us wants to pay a Cadillac price for what might turn out to be a Chevrolet.

The ONLY reason that we see questions about how "genuine" a Colt may (or may not) be these days is due to rumors. And you can lay the root cause of them rumors square at the feet of Colt Industries...NOT at the feet of this or that gun dealer...and especialy NOT at the feet of a new Forum member who is wanting to know the truth of the matter.

And in case you missed it, the "root cause" IS NOT a rumor, but a FACT...and has been addressed rather well in this thread.....the same as it will be the next time someone ask.

That is all I got to say about that.

DGW

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
I've got one of "Colt"'s 2d (or maybe it's 3rd, I can't recall right now) Model Dragoons.

I've owned well over a dozen Uberti's of various flavors and other than coming in a Colt box and not having any Uberti markings, it really is no more special than a standard Uberti.

gak

Buckeye
Jager01":oxulpmgp said:
You are calling me a troll? I even said, "its more likely then not chest thumping" meaning BS. There is no trolling what so ever and is a legitimate question. I have a few Colts and Rugers but i want to know if what I am purchasing is made in America. Im the one fighting for this country so I want to know if my dollar is going into it to help it or if its going over seas. Pardon me for being curious.

You are right. No, I don't think you are a troll and apologize for the characterization...just that the inquiry smacked of one heard over and over again in a number of forums--or at least a question answered repeatedly. Mid flu is not the time to be posting and one loses their perspective. Hats off to your service--military family and fully appreciate your sacrifice. Please return safe.

Btw, no specific dog in this fight: equal admirer and owner of Colt, USFA, Ruger and Uberti for what each has to offer--with stellar (but not uncommon) examples of each. My experience with recent year "4th Gen" (late 3rd) Colts has been very good. CraigC's comment is compelling (as it usually is); very hard to beat a USFA and they do represent better "value" from many perspectives...and I've had a few to prove it.

To Terry, others,
I have a better understanding of the OP's points from his perspective. How then do you feel--jumping on this--that it's uncalled for? You speak of rumors being at the core of the inquiry...I don't think it was the OP's intent to do so, this is how they (can) often get proliferated.

gak

Buckeye
Jager01":3q2ixhqi said:

You are right. No, I don't think you are a troll and apologize for the characterization...just that the inquiry smacked of one heard over and over again in a number of forums--or at least a question answered repeatedly. Mid flu is not the time to be posting and one loses their perspective. Hats off to your service--military family and fully appreciate your sacrifice. Please return safe.

Btw, no specific dog in this fight: equal admirer and owner of Colt, USFA, Ruger and Uberti for what each has to offer--with stellar (but not uncommon) examples of each. My experience with recent year "4th Gen" (late 3rd) Colts has been very good. CraigC's comment is compelling (as it usually is); very hard to beat a USFA and they do represent better "value" from many perspectives...and I've had a few to prove it.

To Terry, others,
I have a better understanding of the OP's points from his perspective. How then do you feel--jumping on this--that it's uncalled for? You speak of rumors being at the core of the inquiry...although I don't think it was the OP's intent to do so, this is how they (can) often get proliferated.

gak

Buckeye
Moderators, let's shut this one down. This is the thousandth time this has been addressed either here or in numerous other forums. Although a Ruger-oriented forum, let's make a sticky with one post--by a forum moderator-thay lays this to rest and stops the mis-information. It doesn't matter one whit whether Colt had some sort of parts or build history with Uberti on one type of gun at one point, the SAA's been covered. Thanks for the consideration. Oh, I hear Toyota 0amrys are made in Leipzig, Germany and new Impalas made in Zimbabwe?...