Where do you want to retire???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I'm currently retired in Southern Maryland. I have 4 boat ramps on 3 Rivers within 20 minutes. About 45 minutes to the bay. I can shoot in the yard and hunt deer and turkey on the back 5. There's about 20 miles of trails in the woods behind my house. DC is about an hour and a half away for all the Patriot Sh!# that happens there. I'm even getting my DC Carry Permit in the next few weeks. It could be worse.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1604228307385.jpg
    FB_IMG_1604228307385.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20220219_120034~2.jpg
    IMG_20220219_120034~2.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20221006_121924952.jpg
    IMG_20221006_121924952.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20170129_170013280.jpg
    IMG_20170129_170013280.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20170617_150934074.jpg
    IMG_20170617_150934074.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20170617_141616531.jpg
    IMG_20170617_141616531.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20170617_140638243.jpg
    IMG_20170617_140638243.jpg
    390.9 KB · Views: 44

WV460hunter

Single-Sixer
That's not the West Virginia or Western Virginia I left over 48 years ago. Missable cold, coal furnaces, wood stoves, bad roads and poor people and there's definitely a reason for low population. No offense, but I was never so glad to see any place in my rear view mirror more. ;)
You must be from Logan .. 😆 🤣
Dude I been in every state except Washington, Oregon, and Maine and none of the other compaired to the beauty and majesty of WV except Montana and Wyoming .

WV460hunter

Single-Sixer
Best state to retire? Actually, I think there are two: state of good health or stat of financial security....
The second one is mostly a fantasy in today's world . My Uncle retired then one bad turn of health near bankrupted his entire family over 1.5 million in bills over the course of several years. And another friend of mines husband ( who owned their own business) got sick and they spent every bit of their retirement trying to save his life . Then he died .

NC FNS

Single-Sixer
Just spent a few days in San Antonio. Seems like a real nice small city. I'm going to add it to my list, although the wife wants to be near one of the kids, and San Antonio isn't. Still have many years to ponder over it.

dannyd

Buckeye
You must be from Logan .. 😆 🤣
Dude I been in every state except Washington, Oregon, and Maine and none of the other compaired to the beauty and majesty of WV except Montana and Wyoming .
My family as been in West Virginia or Virginia (before the White Trash rebellion of 1863) for almost 300 years. With the help of the military I was lucky enough to escape, I bet if you had to grow up there you would definitely have a different option. ;)

They have some of most crooked politicians on the planet, RFK purchased the states votes for JFK in 1960 for 4.5 million.

WV460hunter

Single-Sixer
My family as been in West Virginia or Virginia (before the White Trash rebellion of 1863) for almost 300 years. With the help of the military I was lucky enough to escape, I bet if you had to grow up there you would definitely have a different option. ;)

They have some of most crooked politicians on the planet, RFK purchased the states votes for JFK in 1960 for 4.5 million.
I did grow up here . Been here over 50 years. "White Trash rebellion of 1863" ie the civil war. My family has been in WV since early 1800's and in America since 1760. Originally from Greene county PA and before that from Prussia (Old upper Germany). "Escape " sounds to me like your family didn't have a good experience here sorry to hear that hope your in a good place now. For what its worth this is the 2nd Best state in the Union behind New Hampshire for gun carry .

dannyd

Buckeye
I did grow up here . Been here over 50 years. "White Trash rebellion of 1863" ie the civil war. My family has been in WV since early 1800's and in America since 1760. Originally from Greene county PA and before that from Prussia (Old upper Germany). "Escape " sounds to me like your family didn't have a good experience here sorry to hear that hope your in a good place now. For what its worth this is the 2nd Best state in the Union behind New Hampshire for gun carry .
Myself and some other kids from up there though Boot Camp was like going to Disney, so yes every since I got on the bus for boot camp I have been in better place. :)

"3. Everyone can recommend an excellent cardiologist, dermatologist, proctologist, podiatrist, or orthopedist."
Yep. We moved from Texas to St. Pete two years ago and I reestablished doctors. I have a business card from each and now have a "deck of cards". If I can create a game with doctors' cards I'll get rich like the guys who created Monopoly during the depression. We have three seasons here, Warm, Hot, and Humid. In Texas we had four seasons, HOT, COLD, Drought, and Flood. One of the few places you can drown in the middle of a drought. We miss the people but sure don't miss the Texas summers. Floks here complain of the heat and we laugh. My wife is from Dallas and we lived there for thirty years. Even the wind blowing 25 mph doesn't help-feels like a blast furnace.

I "retired" to the same place I've lived all my life. I complain about mud in the spring, rain in April, heat in August, rain again in October, and ice/snow in January but it's easier than moving to some other place where the complaints are only marginally different.
I have no idea what "real retirement" is like since I still have all the work I can handle right outside my back door. Sometimes I envy those who toss the keys on the desk and walk away into "never go back retirement". Most of the time I pity those folks who now have nothing to do but watch themselves get older.
I watch my wife "get older". Like a vampire I kept away from mirrors. Seems to be working :cool:

"3. Everyone can recommend an excellent cardiologist, dermatologist, proctologist, podiatrist, or orthopedist."
Yep. We moved from Texas to St. Pete two years ago and I reestablished doctors. I have a business card from each and now have a "deck of cards". If I can create a game with doctors' cards I'll get rich like the guys who created Monopoly during the depression. We have three seasons here, Warm, Hot, and Humid. In Texas we had four seasons, HOT, COLD, Drought, and Flood. One of the few places you can drown in the middle of a drought. We miss the people but sure don't miss the Texas summers. Floks here complain of the heat and we laugh. My wife is from Dallas and we lived there for thirty years. Even the wind blowing 25 mph doesn't help-feels like a blast furnace.
I'm in an August Dallas as we speak. Sure it's hot, but we do have a pool. However it is a city for younger people. I'm certainly not "Old" but there just aren't many city parks or public places aside from the mall where you can go. If I wanted to drive out to the country, it would be about a 40 minute drive from where I am to get to "the country."

Plus it's kind of expensive. We are going to move when our daughter is done with high school.

However! From Mid September until mid June, the weather is the best in the world. Except for that week or so in February…😀

I'm living the dream on 40 acres in South Central Iowa right now! Unless I win a big lottery, I'm happy here.

If I win a big lottery, I'll buy a large ocean capable sailboat and wander about the world, changing ports as I tire of the scenery. A 50 to 60 foot boat would suit me fine. Might even talk the wife into going with me...🤣

epags

Single-Sixer
I need to qualify when "retirement" happens before discussing where. Things like how much money you have, how old you are, you (spouse's) need for family connections, and your tolerance to weather (think age).
My spouse and I worked our as..es off and now have enough not to worry about the price of gas or beef, we are OLD (70s and 80s) so comfort (weather and medical facilities) become important, the importance of being near family becomes less important since the darlings move to where jobs take them, thus you are going to be disappointed if you think you are going to enjoy your kids and grandkids in your golden years, Weather: we don't not want to: dig out of snow in Connecticut, have eye glasses fog up in Florida when you step out of your ACed car (not to mention the annual hurricanes), experience ticks, chiggers and humidity in Tennessee (but great BBQ), or the fall and winter in the Dakotas, or winters in Idaho when you are too old to ski (LOL).
Our retirement location came down to what my loving spouse wanted (Yes, dear): A location close to water and no harsh winters (no real seasons).
So we are on the coast between central and southern California. Weather can drop to the 40s in the winter and very occassionally get into the 80s
This Afternoon Mostly sunny, with a high near 70. West southwest wind around 10 mph.
Tonight A 20 percent chance of showers after 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 65. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light in the evening.

Wednesday A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 69. West southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
Wednesday Night A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 65. South southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
Thursday A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before 11am. Partly sunny, with a high near 68. South southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west southwest in the afternoon. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
Thursday Night Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 59.
Friday Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 69.
Friday Night Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 59.
Saturday Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 69.
Yes,
People complain when there are 10 cars in front of them that the traffic is 'terrible'.
and,
did I mention we are 1,000 ft from the beach? Note the crowds:
:cool:
1691597440932.png

My major complains are two: I live way too close to my neighbors (but for now they are all nice) and now days the price to buy into this paradise has gone way, way high.
And before you bring it up (earthquakes). I have spent 53 of my 84 years here in California, experienced numerous earthquakes and they have not created any damage (for me). And I consciously made the the decision to not to live in flood zones or fire hazard areas (of course if the neighboring strawberry fields ever catch fire I might have to retract that last point.

Last edited:
I need to qualify when "retirement" happens before discussing where. Things like how much money you have, how old you are, you (spouse's) need for family connections, and your tolerance to weather (think age).
My spouse and I worked our as..es off and now have enough not to worry about the price of gas or beef, we are OLD (70s and 80s) so comfort (weather and medical facilities) become important, the importance of being near family becomes less important since the darlings move to where jobs take them, thus you are going to be disappointed if you think you are going to enjoy your kids and grandkids in your golden years, Weather: we don't not want to: dig out of snow in Connecticut, have eye glasses fog up in Florida when you step out of your ACed car (not to mention the annual hurricanes), experience ticks, chiggers and humidity in Tennessee (but great BBQ), or the fall and winter in the Dakotas, or winters in Idaho when you are too old to ski (LOL).
Our retirement location came down to what my loving spouse wanted (Yes, dear): A location close to water and no harsh winters (no real seasons).
So we are on the coast between central and southern California. Weather can drop to the 40s in the winter and very occassionally get into the 80s
This Afternoon Mostly sunny, with a high near 70. West southwest wind around 10 mph.
Tonight A 20 percent chance of showers after 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 65. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light in the evening.

Wednesday A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 69. West southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
Wednesday Night A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 65. South southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
Thursday A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before 11am. Partly sunny, with a high near 68. South southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west southwest in the afternoon. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
Thursday Night Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 59.
Friday Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 69.
Friday Night Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 59.
Saturday Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 69.
Yes,
People complain when there are 10 cars in front of them that the traffic is 'terrible'.
and,
did I mention we are 1,000 ft from the beach? Note the crowds:
View attachment 27061:cool:
My major complains are two: I live way too close to my neighbors (but for now they are all nice) and now days the price to buy into this paradise has gone way, way high.
And before you bring it up (earthquakes). I have spent 53 of my 84 years here in California, experieinced numerous earthquakes and they have not created any damage (for me). And I consciously made the the decision to not to live in flood zones or fire hazard areas (of course if the neighboring strawberry fields ever catch fire I might have to retract that last point.
I was born and raised in SoCal- at that time it was a great place for the car culture and the gun culture. I grew up cruising Van Nuys Blvd every Wednesday night, and having endless places to go shooting. But we left the San Fernando Valley for a job in UT in 90, and then returned for a better job in 1996. That was in Ventura. Well, by 2000 I couldn't handle the increase in traffic and the growing legislation against my hobbies- cars and guns. Plus crime and gang presence put me constantly on edge. So we moved to Oregon. And in the 23 years we've been in Oregon, the place has changed for the worse, and is trying to catch up to CA for 2A infringement. And if I'm honest, I really miss the weather like you reported. Sounds perfect. If it wasn't for kids in Central Oregon, and the high costs now, I'd really consider moving back. I can work with the emissions crap on my Jeep, and just keep my "bad" guns locked up in the safe…but is it worth it? I want to be done always looking toward "the next place".

BearBiologist

Buckeye
Right where I am at: Eastern Washington State. Not so conservative as to be red-neck and, so far, not liberal at all. Four seasons (we say three: winter, construction, and elk)). Snowfall not usually too bad and summers not too hot for too long. Cascades withing 5-10 miles, Columbia River borders the east side of town, with salmon and small trout streams all over. Town large enough to have a couple of good restaurants, most fast-food joints, wild animals in town (bears, moose, elk) & neighbors who watch out for each other.

Drawbacks: Getting more liberal, smoke from forest fires, wild animals in town, only one donut shop, no really good pizza!

dannyd

Buckeye
It was not "The War Between the States" that we called "The White Trash Rebellion". In the summer of 1863 the people from Western Virginia ran off from the rest of the Virginia during the war.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
I was born and raised in SoCal- at that time it was a great place for the car culture and the gun culture. I grew up cruising Van Nuys Blvd every Wednesday night, and having endless places to go shooting. But we left the San Fernando Valley for a job in UT in 90, and then returned for a better job in 1996. That was in Ventura. Well, by 2000 I couldn't handle the increase in traffic and the growing legislation against my hobbies- cars and guns. Plus crime and gang presence put me constantly on edge. So we moved to Oregon. And in the 23 years we've been in Oregon, the place has changed for the worse, and is trying to catch up to CA for 2A infringement. And if I'm honest, I really miss the weather like you reported. Sounds perfect. If it wasn't for kids in Central Oregon, and the high costs now, I'd really consider moving back. I can work with the emissions crap on my Jeep, and just keep my "bad" guns locked up in the safe…but is it worth it? I want to be done always looking toward "the next place".
Similar history but eastern Washington is not as bad as OR (Yet!!). Hate visiting SoCal!

Latest posts