Where do you want to retire???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

luckyday

Blackhawk
My wife wanted to be near some family. Some of her and my family are in California so even if we wanted to we could never afford to buy there, besides any family I have there would be impossible to live near. Luckily a brother of mine and his family live in North Carolina, they are good people. We moved an hour away from them and have been happy with our choice. I don't know how happy my brother and his family are that we arrived but we all seem to get along when we visit.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
kramden said:
Jimbo357mag said:
Florida where it is too hot to go outside for about half the year. :D :D
So true. IMO you need 2 places to retire. 1 up north , 1 down south.
Many people here in south Florida have summer homes in N. Carolina, in the mountains. That's not really up north but it is still very cool in the summer.

turd

Blackhawk
I'm with Mobuck on this one. I retired (sort of) about 2 miles from where I grew up. Lots to complain about, but not much better anywhere else. I've lived near hot weather, cold weather, mountains etc. But not the coasts, to me the ocean smells like dead fish - don't need that. Lots to do here if you want to do it, fish, hunt, etc. It gets cold - put on a coat (we all have them), it gets hot - wear shorts, windy - all the time (watch the hot air balloons go by). Not too many people - I can drive across town on a 4 lane street in less than 30 minutes. Most of corporate America is represented, so lots of shopping options.

Worst part is I really hate to have to move frozen water off my driveway and sidewalk over and over and over again for three to four months. :evil:

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
turd said:
I'm with Mobuck on this one. I retired (sort of) about 2 miles from where I grew up. :evil:

That would be kind of HARD for me; Dad was Navy:
Born: Portsmouth, VA Naval Hospital
Lived: Bremerton, Wa; Chicago, IL; Boston, Ma; San Diego, CA; Huntington Beach, Ca, Honolulu, Hawaii;
Ford Island, Pearl Harbor; Pensacola, FL; Frazier then Millington, TN; Jacksonville, FL; Bloomingdale, PA; Port Lyautey, French Morocco; Bartlesville, OK; Portland, Or; Monterey Park, CA; Oklahoma City, OK; Garden Grove, CA; Whittier, CA; Orange, CA; Long Beach, CA; Chino, Ca; Baltimore, MD area; Hagerstown, MD; Orlando, FL; Tampa, FL and Finally, Zephyrhills Area, FL .

turd

Blackhawk
Colonialgirl said:
That would be kind of HARD for me; Dad was Navy:
Born: Portsmouth, VA Naval Hospital
Lived: Bremerton, Wa; Chicago, IL; Boston, Ma; San Diego, CA; Huntington Beach, Ca, Honolulu, Hawaii;
Ford Island, Pearl Harbor; Pensacola, FL; Frazier then Millington, TN; Jacksonville, FL; Bloomingdale, PA; Port Lyautey, French Morocco; Bartlesville, OK; Portland, Or; Monterey Park, CA; Oklahoma City, OK; Garden Grove, CA; Whittier, CA; Orange, CA; Long Beach, CA; Chino, Ca; Baltimore, MD area; Hagerstown, MD; Orlando, FL; Tampa, FL and Finally, Zephyrhills Area, FL .

Wow! Kinda like "whoohupwoohoo...I get around" (Beach Boys) :mrgreen:

Boxhead

Blackhawk
I am in the two home camp, one here in the Texas Hill Country and one in Idaho 60 miles south of BC. I retired 5 1/2 years ago and could not be happier.

tinman

Buckeye
If I had my druthers, I would be on a few hundred acres of the Missouri/Arkansas Ozarks.

vito

Hunter
I moved to northern Illinois, an hour and a half west of Chicago, for a job opportunity 25 years ago. I always thought that when I really retired I would leave this Left wing, high tax, not very gun friendly state, but it hasn't happened. I own (along with the bank for a few more years) a nice home, but if I sold it and moved most anywhere I probably couldn't afford more than a tiny house with what I would net from the sale. And somehow, three of my five children and their families live within an hour of where my wife and I live, one right here in the same town and one east of here and another north of here, and moving to some great location like western NC would mean being far from ALL of our family. So unless I want to move on my own and say goodbye to my wife of almost 55 years, I guess I am stuck right where I am.

On the other hand, this is not Chicago, and I can conceal carry virtually everywhere legally. The weather is moderate and while I can't motorcycle for a few months of winter, it was worse when I wouldn't ride for many months due to the heat when I lived in South Texas. I have the convenience of being in a decent sized city with good health care and shopping available, but I can be on relatively quiet country roads in five minutes from my home. And other than the insane property tax, cost of living is very moderate. As I said earlier, I have a 3,100 square foot home at a cost that would get me maybe 1,000 square feet most anywhere else in the country.

Life doesn't always turn out how we wished it would.

volshooter

Buckeye
I born here and Dad made sure I spent every summer here and when he was deployed. It's a wonderful place. It's been taken over by folks that came to visit and loved what I do about the area
and bought land with money made up north. Most are tolerable but the true nature of our society has changed. No longer is it the friendly caring of neighbors and goodness that was. Rudeness is shocking. Seems everyone wants whatever their issue corrected now with loud foul ugly words. That is, never has been and never be our native ways.
Please don't come here.

Latest posts