Where do you store your ammunition for a future rainy day?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

p.s. I don't know about ammo, BUT I was warned by a primer manufacturer tech that 6,000 small pistol PRIMERS in a sealed ammo can will explode with the equivalent force of a stick of dynamite (when the heat of a house fire gets to them).

J.
I've wondered about this.

I keep my primers in a plastic container. Nothing that would explode.

Same with ammunition. It's in a locked cabinet, but definitely not fireproof.

It's all stored together but not in a container that could build up pressure in anyway.

I've heard about the fire department not going into a house with ammunition. But at this point I'm going to say urban myth.

41Dude

Single-Sixer
I've wondered about this.

I keep my primers in a plastic container. Nothing that would explode.

Same with ammunition. It's in a locked cabinet, but definitely not fireproof.

It's all stored together but not in a container that could build up pressure in anyway.

I've heard about the fire department not going into a house with ammunition. But at this point I'm going to say urban myth.
I agree with the urban myth idea. I have seen many experiments with ammunition igniting due to fire or electric current. For the most part the case blows off and the projectile ends up on the floor. I doubt if the fire department would stand outside waiting to see what happens.
But I have been wrong before ;)

Chief 101

Hunter
The last few years I have been making an effort to (slowly) stock up on a variety of ammo.
Used to keep it all in one place. Decided to spread it out between my house, workshop, sons' house, and grandsons' house. Never know when there might be a fire, flood, riots, etc., etc. The thought of losing everything at one time started to worry me a bit. I feel better about spreading it out.
I think that's an excellent idea tho not one I have a adopted. I could spread mine out a little bit and I will give that some thought...thanks Steve

KIR

Sparks, NV
Since, I have been giving my youngest son a few of my firearms, I have pared down what I keep in a large safe. Have maintained the long guns, but have gotten rid of several handguns as I have gotten over keeping one gun for every caliber that is out there. That leaves more room for ammo.

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
I think that's an excellent idea tho not one I have a adopted. I could spread mine out a little bit and I will give that some thought...thanks Steve
Being the only family member left in town, that isn't an option. Since guns and ammo require a dry place with moderate temperatures, spreading them out might be cost prohibitive. My choice is to have adequate insurance, and a detailed documented list of the items.

I have a converted gun safe with topper just for ammo. Plus I keep a box of 38spl in the RV.
Then another box next to each long gun in the gun cabinet and in various places around the house.
20240108_175255.jpg

KIR

Sparks, NV
I don't store it for rainy days. I prefer to go shootin' on nice early morns when it is NOT rainy. I also prefer weekdays when not so many people out and about.

Latest posts