Where did this collector's boat paddle stock start

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dgr416

Single-Sixer
I had two boat paddle stocked ruger 77 mark II rifles a 264 win mag and a 338 win mag . It didn't take me long to find out those stocks were terrible on those hard kicking rifles .It was like getting hit by a boxer in the jaw .
I put a boyds laminated stock on the 338 win mag and it was super nice to shoot half the recoil and way more accurate 3/4 inch group at 200 yards with factory ammo .I just put another plastic ruger stock on the 264 a little better but still kicks way to hard for what it is .I never liked the paddle stocks .I lived In Alaska 12 years and a lot of people did have the 338 paddle stock rugers but everyone of them said they kicked way too hard .Its just crazy what those rifles bring these days .I like the factory laminated stocks best and they are super high too .

I was known as a Elk hunter with some big bore rifles at the office. Back in the early 90s a Lt. that was twice my weight and about 1 foot taller showed me his new rifle, Ruger .338 win mag with the 1st boat paddle stock I had noticed. That was after a talk about my .338s a Remington 700 and Winchester 70 and how they shoot like a 3006 with a heavy bullet in my handloads of 210gr partition bullets.
A few weeks later I asked him how that new rifle was at the range. He said it kicks to damn much and asked if I wanted to buy it. I refused.

dgr416

Single-Sixer
The boyds laminated stock which is the same as the factory one is a power puff on the 338 win mag .I finally shot the 338 win mag and the 264 win mag the same day . The paddle stocks are good for a boat or 4 wheeler and will take a roll on the 4 wheeler but when it comes time to shoot them much it's terrible.I tried slip on pachmyer pads and it was still terrible .I use to shoot my 338 win mag ruger 77 with a wood stock and a double magnum pad 150 times in a day with the past thick pad no problem .Then I would try to shoot groups with that paddle stock rifle 3 shots was my limit from the cheek punch.Maybe if you take them off the gun and use a laminated stock then you could try to paddle with it but it's not to great for that either .I just like to tell people this before they pay so much money for these sticks and are totally shocked at the recoil and are disappointed ! They actually should be 200 less than a wood stocked rifle.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
The problem with the craze and these stocks is anyone can swap a stock on to a rifle and claim they have some rare version. I've called out a few sellers on Gunbroker that had rifles who's serial numbers were way newer than when skeleton stocks were made and asking big bucks. There's one for sale here in the classifieds now that I'm suspicious of. Unless you have the original box you don't really know.

Some people probably don't really care if it's original or not and just want the stock. I don't get it either and never found them good looking or comfortable to shoot. They were a rigid stock and better than the cheap pile of crap Ruger called a synthetic stock after that. Every one I had also shot really well. They all got laminate stocks eventually and that made them a better rifle all around. All except one. I had a blued 7mm-08 boat paddle that was NIB and during one of the periods of high interest in the models , I put it on Gunbroker and got an absolutely ridiculous price for it. Wish I'd bought a semi load of them back in the day!

dgr416

Single-Sixer
It was funny when they first came out people said that is the ugliest rifle I have ever seen .They didn't sell good .Mine I had faded and made spots on it .I think people thing they can kill zombies and grizzly bears just by hitting stuff with the stock .The laminated checkered stock is my favorite tough stock on the rugers.I remember them marking down the ugly rugers and they lost their behinds on them at Ruger .It was tough but terrible to shoot above a 270 .

chet15

Hawkeye
rugerjunkie said:
The problem with the craze and these stocks is anyone can swap a stock on to a rifle and claim they have some rare version. I've called out a few sellers on Gunbroker that had rifles who's serial numbers were way newer than when skeleton stocks were made and asking big bucks. There's one for sale here in the classifieds now that I'm suspicious of. Unless you have the original box you don't really know.

Some people probably don't really care if it's original or not and just want the stock. I don't get it either and never found them good looking or comfortable to shoot. They were a rigid stock and better than the cheap pile of crap Ruger called a synthetic stock after that. Every one I had also shot really well. They all got laminate stocks eventually and that made them a better rifle all around. All except one. I had a blued 7mm-08 boat paddle that was NIB and during one of the periods of high interest in the models , I put it on Gunbroker and got an absolutely ridiculous price for it. Wish I'd bought a semi load of them back in the day!

Ruger's website now offers a page for serial number lookup. If you input the serial number the page will instantly tell you what model and caliber the rifle was shipped as, as well as the year it was shipped.
I would not be surprised if there are a bunch of guns that were made for Davidson's after what is listed in my reference. Our sn information was cut off from that distributor about midway through the shipments on those.
Chet15

hittman

Staff member
I love a stainless 10/22 in a boat paddle / skeleton stock!

I've got the short barrel and If I find a stainless 10/22 with the longer ( 22 inch? ) barrel I'd get it for the spare boat paddle stock I have.

dgr416

Single-Sixer
The 22 caliber ones are fine to shoot but try a 264 win mag or better 338 win mag and you will change your mind quick . Its just designed to carry and for weather .It was very cheap to make them too probalky $20 at the time they made them .I crack up every time I see collectors of these .The full stock wood rifles are collectors pieces .These paddle stocks are old colored milk cartons !

rugerdczr

Blackhawk
About 7 Years ago I was seeing prices go thru the Roof so I put my 7mm/08 SS Ultralite Boat Paddle on Gun Broker as it was a shooter,I didn't have much into it and no box, Sold for $4200 yes $4200 so I bought 4- Ruger No 1 Rifles! LOL.

mcknight77

Blackhawk
I like them and the recoil has never bothered me. IMHO they kick me less than a BDL Remington or a Sako. I've had, I think, two .338Mags over the years, an R and an RS. Don't have them any more, but I didn't sell them because of recoil. I have a 7Mag, two 30-06s, a .270, a .223 and maybe a couple more that I can't think of right now. Did I mention that I like them?

I like them too. Right now I only have one in 30-06, but when I find another one in 338 WM, I'll be getting it. I typically add a Limbsaver pad to them so they fit better. I've been shooting them for years with no problem. Tough set up and great for Alaskan weather.

langenc

Single-Sixer
MY question is kinda like the OPs--

When did they start being called a boat paddle? Perhaps someone in AK paddling across a fast stream and broke the paddle and grabbed the gun to save their a55.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
I bought one somewhere around 1999-2001. I still have it. It is in 223, so no recoil issues. I bought it second hand with a Swift 3-9 scope mounted.

It was really accurate, but had a bit of a heavy trigger. I took it to a gunsmith to have the trigger stoned. When I got it back the trigger was like glass, but accuracy got worse. That is when I discovered that the bolts on the stock had to be tightened in a specific order. Remounted the stock and accuracy came back.

I haven't had time to shoot it in about 17 years. It really liked the 3D Coyote Dusters 55gr PSPs, which are no longer made. I need to find a new ammunition it will shoot well. Prone supported, I used to be able to stretch it to 350 yards and shoot 2 inch groups.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
dgr416 said:
It was funny when they first came out people said that is the ugliest rifle I have ever seen .They didn't sell good .Mine I had faded and made spots on it .I think people thing they can kill zombies and grizzly bears just by hitting stuff with the stock .The laminated checkered stock is my favorite tough stock on the rugers.I remember them marking down the ugly rugers and they lost their behinds on them at Ruger .It was tough but terrible to shoot above a 270 .

They used to be the ugliest, however, Ruger has now brought out the Precision Rifle which is uglier and the Scout Rifles which are indeed the ugliest I have seen. Poor Bill would be rolling in the grave.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
buckeyeshooter said:
They used to be the ugliest, however, Ruger has now brought out the Precision Rifle which is uglier and the Scout Rifles which are indeed the ugliest I have seen. Poor Bill would be rolling in the grave.

I have not bought a new Ruger since the Hawkeye rifles came out. Didn't then because of the crap matte finishes they put on them. Don't now because I agree about them making some pretty ugly rifles. I used to buy A LOT of Rugers but doubt they miss me. Lucky for me though the old stuff will never wear out in my lifetime.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Always like the boat paddles, first Ruger I ever got. Used to buy takeoffs but sold all of them later. Had a chance to get a new insert set that so many people were selling, however these are genuine Lett inserts.

dgr416

Single-Sixer
The new rugers bolt terrible and look like they are made from recycled milk cartons.My paddle stock freckled and I never used it so I sold it .The boyds laminated stock made it look good and I shot a 3/4 inch group at 200 yards with the new stock on it .It shot 2.5 inches at 100 yards with the $20 paddle stock .It just cracks me up that these paddle stocks are collector pieces ! I guess they like milk jugs too .The 338 win mag with the paddle stock was like getting punched by a boxer .The laminated stock was fun to shoot .

protoolman

Service-Sixer
When people first started collecting them way back I had one on a stainless 30-06. I traded it at a gun shop straight across for a super nice walnut stock off a blued rifle. Now my gun looks way classier and just happens to be the most accurate bolt action I own. With most factory ammo It will shoot three shot groups all touching at 100 yards consistently. I won't be trading this one ever! Never liked the boat paddles.